The big ol' Buddies - Jambos double header.

As per my post on page one of this thread, delighted with the four points.

Mentioned before that St Mirren are exactly the style of team we have struggled against under Neilson, and I wasn't really surprised by the performance last night (didn't see Saturday). When teams push onto our midfield like that, we find it very difficult. We struggle similarly against Livingston.

So, in that context, delighted with the win and the four points leave us well-placed. Any result other than losing to Aberdeen next midweek leaves us sitting pretty, but if we win, it's hard to see how anyone will be able to catch us. Big effort required for that one.

On the penalty, could have gone either way. I think he got away with it as his body is turning so the position of his arm is natural. That would fit with the rules, but it could have gone either way.

On a separate point from the rules, it would have been a cheap 76% chance of a goal for a team to get for an accidental handball when the ball was obviously going out for a goal kick with a 0% chance of a goal. But that's my issue with football having too many penalties in general. I think you could make a case for giving more indirect free-kicks in the box.

The beauty of winning a Friday night game is you can enjoy your weekend in the knowledge that the football won't spoil anything. Lose and you have to spend the weekend bleating about inconclusive hand balls and unlikely conspiracy theories.

12 hours ago, Mr. X said:

You fairly bullied us into a 1-0 defeat, well done.

If we had you rattled, then better teams than us, like the ones that handed your arses to you on plate in Europe this season, will outcompete you all over the pitch.

It's just an observation. I'm sure you'll sign some players that have a backbone for next season.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Baccus was booked for a Snodgrass dive. It was a penalty all day long. Snodgrass should have been sent off. 

TBH, I agree with all of this - penalty would have been a softish one, but softish pens seem to be the name of the game just now and I'd be raging if we hadn't got it if it happened at the other end (as I was, in fact, for the Gogic one in Paisley).

All I'd add is that Gogic could have walked for the elbow in the first half. Oh, and that boy Taylor playing number 7 caught the eye - if that was his debut, he could be very decent for you.

Was Neilson's second booking not for making the Specsavers gesture at the ref for missing an obvious handball in front of the dugouts, btw?

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

If we had you rattled, then better teams than us, like the ones that handed your arses to you on plate in Europe this season, will outcompete you all over the pitch.

TBF,. the two teams who did hump us in Europe did not need to outcompete us - they were just much, much better at playing football. Having much, much better players will do that.

11 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

TBF,. the two teams who did hump us in Europe did not need to outcompete us - they were just much, much better at playing football. Having much, much better players will do that.

I'm genuinely not having a go at you.

You've got a lot of good footballers in your team, who, when they're gelling, pass the ball about extremely well. However, I couldn't pick out any of your players that have a "hard as nails" side to them.

It would have been interesting to see how Hill fared against Ayunga and Main, as opposed to Greive and Main. The former partnership terrorised the green bigot defence earlier in the season.

You're a stick on for third, as Aberdeen aren't anywhere near as good as you and your new signings can only improve you

Edited by FTOF

9 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Sounds like the Buddies are trying to goad us into chasing an impossible dream by overspending. For us competing in the later stages of Europe, for them it's finally getting into the top 6.

Let's just continue to settle for best of the rest domestically with annual trips abroad while keeping the finance firmly in the black. 

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

I must of imagined the Hearts fans on here claiming for a penalty against Gogic in Paisley. 

Our appeal was far more of a penalty last night.

I appealed for the Gogic one at the game, as i do every time the ball goes near an opposition player's hand whether it actually hit it or not.

I don't think it's a penalty seeing it back.  Same as i don't think the Rowles one was.  Both could have been given, i think it's right neither was as neither is a deliberate action.

2 hours ago, Insaintee said:

^^^^^^^ I'm guessing here but is logue over compensating

Magnify Rick Moranis GIF

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

more to the point Barry Mackay’s goal should have been shot from 20 angles, in full IMAX.

That move was so sexy it’s just as well the game was played after dark

Almost sexy enough to cause a 7.75 inch bulge in my trousers. St Mirren fans should be glad they got to see some actual football for once. 

Edited by Lionel Logue

7 minutes ago, Lionel Logue said:

Almost sexy enough to cause a 7.75 inch bulge in my trousers. St Mirren fans should be glad they got to see some actual football for once. 

That you sneaking out the house with your Mrs' rampant rabbit in your pocket, bud?

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

Baccus was booked for a Snodgrass dive. It was a penalty all day long. Snodgrass should have been sent off. 

The result won't change but as a club we need to have someone look at these and the countless other decisions that are clearly wrong. 

It is ruining the game. Officials are poor and Var is a joke.

Totally agree with this,  was 100% a pen but time to move on as we will have plenty more biased/ridiculous decisions against us before January is out, we should be used to it by now

It's a shame as we should mostly be discussing Barry McKay a smashing player on what was a absolutely fantastic goal fit to win any game, not often the you get the player who's credited with the assist actually score the goal 

Edited by Portmahomack Saint

43 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

TBH, I agree with all of this - penalty would have been a softish one, but softish pens seem to be the name of the game just now and I'd be raging if we hadn't got it if it happened at the other end (as I was, in fact, for the Gogic one in Paisley).

All I'd add is that Gogic could have walked for the elbow in the first half. Oh, and that boy Taylor playing number 7 caught the eye - if that was his debut, he could be very decent for you.

Was Neilson's second booking not for making the Specsavers gesture at the ref for missing an obvious handball in front of the dugouts, btw?

We signed Taylor from Waterford and he hasn't played since October. The deal is short term to see how he would get on. However he was really good last night and far better than I expected - I thought he would be a real weak link.  To be fair almost all of Robinson's signings have been very good.

3 hours ago, AJF said:

I wonder if these incidents will get the same media traction as Celtic’s have. They have been trying to convince us that only they are on the receiving end of these decisions and calling into question referee allegiances and insinuating bias.

If Celtic or Rangers had the VAR decisions Saints have had the clubs and their fans would be apoplectic.  

Last night was our first loss since the 3-2 loss away to Ross county in November.  And in that game we were also denied a stonewaller with 5 minutes to go.

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I appealed for the Gogic one at the game, as i do every time the ball goes near an opposition player's hand whether it actually hit it or not.

I don't think it's a penalty seeing it back.  Same as i don't think the Rowles one was.  Both could have been given, i think it's right neither was as neither is a deliberate action.

I don’t think intent is part of the rules any more?

Certainly the three VAR have given against us weren’t deliberate.  

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Neilson needs to sort his pitch side antics out - to be fair. though, the ref actually agreed with him while giving him the first yellow, and RN must have lost his mind after successfully trapping the ball for the second.

I think the second yellow could have been for making the ‘Specsavers’ gesture at the ref.  

Or for time wasting by holding the ball behind his back to stop Saints from taking the throw. 

Both of those in themselves were yellow card offences.  

And yet he’s in the press this morning blaming the referee for not being able to talk to him.  

Has Neilson always been such a p***k or is he getting worse?