The big ol' Buddies - Jambos double header.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

The '86 stuff will always be what it is. I'm too young to bother about it, and I'm nearly 40, so make of that what you will.

But in the world of the internet, it will probably be one of these things that is dragged on forever by match threads like this and arguments on Twitter featuring people born 20 years after the event.

The internet has done funny things to fitba rivalries. I met a St Mirren fan through work a while back and he was telling folk (everyone else was English) that there was 'a bit of heat' (!) between St Mirren and Hearts. It felt rude to make him lose face, so I waited until he'd gone before making it clear that there really isn't.

And yet this post. 

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

😀

Fucking hell. Are you one of these people who thinks someone can never mention anything online without being RAGING or SEETHING?

I'm not Raging or Seething, but I think you St Maureen b*****ds cheated us out of winning the league almost 50 years ago.  

Understood 

I Understand Will Ferrell GIF by reactionseditor

I was at Dens Park on 3rd May 1986 and I don't blame St Mirren for Hearts not winning the league, we didn't win the league because we couldn't beat Clydebank at Tynecastle a week or so before and couldn't defend corners against Dundee.

This happened almost 37 years ago and whilst I wish that we had beaten Dundee I do not lose any sleep because we didn't.

As an aside, since then only Aberdeen in 1990 have had a chance to deny either of the Ugly Sisters from winning the league in the last game. This is probably the most damning statistic in Scottish Football.

Anyway, Hearts not to lose tomorrow and take all three points next Friday.

4 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

I was at Dens Park on 3rd May 1986 and I don't blame St Mirren for Hearts not winning the league, we didn't win the league because we couldn't beat Clydebank at Tynecastle a week or so before and couldn't defend corners against Dundee.

This happened almost 37 years ago and whilst I wish that we had beaten Dundee I do not lose any sleep because we didn't.

As an aside, since then only Aberdeen in 1990 have had a chance to deny either of the Ugly Sisters from winning the league in the last game. This is probably the most damning statistic in Scottish Football.

Sensible type post. Booo! 

27 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

The '86 stuff will always be what it is. I'm too young to bother about it, and I'm nearly 40, so make of that what you will.

But in the world of the internet, it will probably be one of these things that is dragged on forever by match threads like this and arguments on Twitter featuring people born 20 years after the event.

The internet has done funny things to fitba rivalries. I met a St Mirren fan through work a while back and he was telling folk (everyone else was English) that there was 'a bit of heat' (!) between St Mirren and Hearts. It felt rude to make him lose face, so I waited until he'd gone before making it clear that there really isn't.

There's a difference between people taking five seconds to post a picture of Dens, or typing 'St Liedooon' instead of St Mirren and people actually giving a f**k. Nobody is looking at the fixture list in July and wondering when we're playing St Mirren. Nobody gives a f**k how St Mirren have got on when we get back to the pub after a Hearts game. It's just the internet.

Not to long ago I was in a pub at Haymarket Station with around 6 other Saints fans. Next thing we here is wee Celtic remember that night Div ? I have family Hearts season ticket holders through In the east Coast.  . I'm in Rothesay there are about 5 Hearts season ticket holders over here sometimes we share cars to games . Go for a pint when we get back home not once have I heard anything to do with 1986. Us Saints fans would have loved Hearts to win the league.  We hate the old firm with a passion they are on our doorstep.  

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Not to long ago I was in a pub at Haymarket Station with around 6 other Saints fans. Next thing we here is wee Celtic remember that night Div ? I have family Hearts season ticket holders through In the east Coast.  . I'm in Rothesay there are about 5 Hearts season ticket holders over here sometimes we share cars to games . Go for a pint when we get back home not once have I heard anything to do with 1986. Us Saints fans would have loved Hearts to win the league.  We hate the old firm with a passion they are on our doorstep.  

Not "all us Saints fans" after what happened to Campbell Money earlier that season, that iteration of Hertz were a right dirty lot - no sympathy from me.

Anyway back to the preset day we haven't played them so far this season and our league position come Friday night will be a truer indication of how good we are this season. After a slow start Robinson has put together a team with resilience and if we play to the top end of our potential reckon we can match Hertz over the two games.

Edited by btb

18 minutes ago, btb said:

Not after what happened to Campbell Money earlier that season, that iteration of Hertz were a right dirty lot - no sympathy from me.

Anyway back to the preset day we haven't played them so far this season and our league position come Friday night will be a truer indication of how good we are this season. After a slow start Robinson has put together a team with resilience and if we play to the top end of our potential reckon we can match Hertz over the two games.

I was at Tynecastle when Money got injured would still rather see any team win the league than the old firm bigot brothers. 

Going back to 86 again, I remember the game against Hearts at love street when we cuffed them 6-2. That had an eventual outcome on goal difference come the final game. I remember thinking while I was at that game we lost to Celtic on the final day, how horrible it felt watching them thrashing us, but we would be laughing at Celtic, because Hearts only required a point at Dens. Never crossed my mind that Hearts would’ve bottled it when all they had to do was gain a point.

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

It had a significant bearing on the outcome which makes it all the more pleasing! 😝 

Apart from the fact it had no more bearing than any other dropped point(s) that season, that's a weird thing to be pleased about almost forty years later (and, as I say, sod all to do with bottle crashing).

Still, each to their own, odd though it may seem to others (odd in general not to want someone to win the League other than the OF, but that's a different matter altogether).

Edited by lennyzer0

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

All spot on (expect we did beat Clydebank the previous week  - it was Aberdeen we wouldn't beat the week before that).

And I'll have anyone - including Hibs - win the league before either half of the Old Firm. 

I despised Hearts in the ‘80s. 

They were filled with diving cheats and hatchet men. 

Throw in an arrogant chairman and bigoted scum supporters. 

It was an absolute pleasure seeing their bottle crash. 

I also really enjoyed seeing them get beat the following week by Aberdeen in the SC final with a goal from former Saint Billy Stark and two goals from future Saint John Hewitt. Two skilful players and good guys too! Would never have got into a team managed by that wee scrote Doddy.

Hearts forever blowing doubles!