Queens v Alloa

15 minutes ago, Kunter said:

I know Murray's coming in for some stick and I definitely don't want him as manger but no one's turning that bunch of players into a winning formula. Couple ok but on the whole they simply aren't good enough. 

We should be dominating teams being full time. 

I think a competent manager could make them slightly less shite. I doubt we'd suddenly shoot up the table but a formation that suits them might help us improve a bit. That Murray has watched us all season and thinks that system is working is reason alone for him not to get the job. 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

You should know its not serious, I doubt if we've actually had 3 applicants for the job. 

The board should have stuck an ad on S1 Jobs, or if they were feeling flush gone to an agency.

The agency route might be bit of a hit or a miss. Mind you, they couldn’t be any worse than the board’s recruitment record. 

Didn't think the season from hell could get any worse but the keystone cops at the back continue to be the “gift that keeps on giving”. I hope to never see McKenna, the 2 McKays and Hendrie in a Queens shirt again but there’s nobody else to replace them with no guarantee of new recruits in the “window”. The thought of watching any of them again simply doesn’t bear thinking about. As soon as Paton misses the sitter we all fear the worst and right on cue these imposters capitulate for the umpteenth time this season.

8th place in this league with a FT squad really takes some doing but they’ve managed it with some aplomb.

45 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think a competent manager could make them slightly less shite. I doubt we'd suddenly shoot up the table but a formation that suits them might help us improve a bit. That Murray has watched us all season and thinks that system is working is reason alone for him not to get the job. 

It would be pretty impressive if Murray gets the job now that's for sure but still wouldn't be surprised. 

Wouldn’t have begrudged Queens a point today as it was pretty even with Queens getting the better of the first half and Alloa the second, but the game seemed to swing completely on the goal line stop and Paton miss. 

Rice may well feel vindicated tonight in his lineup but in all honesty I hated the way we lined up today. Ultimately we got the win and that’s all that matters, but the daggers would have been out for him tonight if we hadn’t. Starting a right back and a left back both at centre half when we have Andy Graham and Mark Durnan on the bench had me questioning what he was thinking, and to me, it should have been Offord and MacIver over Sammon and Rodden up top. 

We got the full range from Sammon today - pre goal he was very poor once again with his only contribution being a perfectly cushioned header to Paton for the opener! Strange thing to say of a 36 year old ex internationalist, but he needed the confidence boost that his goal brought (I’ll be honest and say I never believed he was actually going to score there until the moment it crossed the line!). After his goal I thought he was outstanding for the final half hour, chased everything, harassed and pressured defenders and was unlucky not to get an assist after doing well down the right and picking out MacIver with a square ball. Was much more like what we seen in the first quarter of the season and if he continued that for the rest of the season he would be a huge asset, time will tell I guess. 

Looking forward to seeing the winner again as it was an excellent move down the left, well finished by Ross, who I thought was very good again today. 

Overall I thought we played ok today, even when we were a goal down. There were many more patterns of play than we have seen in the last month or so and there was a better structure to the team than last week. Was impressed with Strachan, a good start to his spell here. 

For Queens, Wilson doesn’t deserve to playing in a team sitting 8th in League 1, he’s as good a player as any I’ve seen in the division all season and has been excellent in the games against us. 

Finally, not sure there was quite the need for 9 stewards to contain the 30 odd Alloa supporters in the second half! Thought we were going to end up getting a 1-2–1 service at full time!

76BF4FAB-21D4-4FEB-AE89-45FC0B0FC19D.thumb.jpeg.935cf4765ba5e45641d4c285c8e7391e.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Kunter said:

It would be pretty impressive if Murray gets the job now that's for sure but still wouldn't be surprised. 

I'd be very surprised tbh. Pretty confident it won't be Murray. 

5 hours ago, Dink said:

I'm not there today so wondering what shape we're playing. Is it Stanger and Taggart in the centre of defence with Church on the left and Strachan on the right? Or 3 at the back with one of either Church or Strachan playing in the centre of defence with the other as left wing back and Cawley on the right?

It was a back three of Taggs, Stanger and Church, with Stanger in the middle. Strachan was left wing back, Cawley on the right. Think we went to more of a back four, Strachan going to left back and Taggs RB, later on, but the game had become so open by then it was hard to tell. 🙂

We offered very little in attack until King came on and Wee Kev was pushed forward through the middle. Seemed to galvanise us a bit (something we badly needed) and Sammon knicked a goal when clear in front of goal (not sure how that happened and Sammo even seemed to have a miskick before he stuck it away).

Scarcely deserved to be level then, but last half an hour was pretty even. McIver's winner was a cracker. Neat build up play and a good cross by Church from the by-line, Ross timing his leap perfectly to head down and into the net.

Generally we were pretty poor and second best today, but we kept going and showed determination and belief. Hopefully the win will help the team's confidence. 

Edited by printer

Some people are never happy  - last week unhappy when Queens won a game and got 3pts but played awful.

This week played so much better, creating many more chances but lost.

Is it better to play well and lose than to play worse and win?

A much needed 3 points. We worked hard as always. Felt in that second half if we asked questions we could score and ultimately we did with a great winner. Still completely unable to fathom a lot of the managers decisions- both in his starting lineup and where he deploys players. But happy to concede he knows more about his players than me when we pick up wins at tough grounds 

Great to see Donnelly back in a cameo. He's vital to the creative output for this season and I'm sure he'll play a key role going forward.

A massive 3 points for us after  wee sticky patch- we needed that before Edinburgh City come back to Alloa next week.

6 hours ago, Alloa 68 said:

By next week we'll probably be sitting eighth in the league,or at least there's a good chance of that.Anyone want to stand up for Rice now?

Don't know why your views were so downbeat mate, the game was always pretty even and there for the taking.  Could understand if we were 3 down at half time but this is madness. 

26 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Some people are never happy  - last week unhappy when Queens won a game and got 3pts but played awful.

Last week was a precursor. We were slightly less shit today and were punished because we weren't playing a side as honking as Clyde. Thankfully Tuesday should be the last time we see the same shit WG/Murray have dished us up. If Murray is staying as Assistant I hope Bartley has the stones to tell him he's in charge. 

1 hour ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

. But happy to concede he knows more about his players than me when we pick up wins at tough grounds 

Palmerston has for some some considerable time been the very opposite  of a tough ground for our opponents

In contrast it's beyond tough as a watch for a QOS fan.

1 hour ago, queenslad said:

Last week, unhappy cos it was a honking game of football between two honking sides which we won thanks to the only bit of class we managed to muster in 90 odd minutes. 

This week, unhappy because, from a winning position and not being overly tested, our "defence" contrived to gift two absolute jokes of goals and the points to the opposition. 

It's better to win.  We rarely do that and the shit we serve up most weeks is unacceptable  for a full time team in the 3rd tier of Scottish football. That's why I'm unhappy.

…..and some folk are easily pleased!

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Palmerston has for some some considerable time been the very opposite  of a tough ground for our opponents

In contrast it's beyond tough as a watch for a QOS fan.

Yip, the most meaningless, yet resilient cliche out there, as far as we're concerned.  Brian Rice is at it again above.  "Coming here is always very very difficult" he parrots.  Statistically , there can't be many easier grounds for sides to visit in the country, over the last few seasons.

As you say, it's only really us who find it tricky. 

7 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

This week, unhappy because, from a winning position and not being overly tested, our "defence" contrived to gift two absolute jokes of goals and the points to the opposition. 

While there might have been some flaws in the defending for the second goal, I'd hardly bracket the two together to be honest.  

The second is a decent goal featuring some nice wide interplay, a cracking cross and an aggressive header.

The first, however, is simply laughable.  I don't even know what Hendrie is attempting to do in dealing with a comfortable situation.  Pathetic defending that changed the game.