Dumbarton vs Stirling Albion

Outcome?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/23 at 15:00

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, haud on I'll just apply for a grant on behalf of a club I don't own or work for. 

The notion that we’re going to get it together enough as a football club to be able to fund and install an astro pitch is for the birds anyway.

As has been noted elsewhere, our more pressing concerns are somewhat more existential than a wet pitch. 

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

A stadium move is fantasy of course

What happens if they do demolish the ground then? Groundshare like Clyde? Always thought the "new" Dumbarton ground was pretty well suited to the club's needs, why demolish a fairly new ground?

6 hours ago, moses1924 said:

What happens if they do demolish the ground then? Groundshare like Clyde? Always thought the "new" Dumbarton ground was pretty well suited to the club's needs, why demolish a fairly new ground?

It's complicated but there are 'C' shares which were assigned to a seperate company which were designed to prevent developers from making us homeless. Whether those shares stand up to the law it remains to be seen but that was their intent. Why demolish it? The land is worth more if houses were built on it, they're building "luxury" apartments across the road from us now and the club is the only piece of land down Castle Road which doesn't have houses on it. The owners don't give a shite about football.

11 hours ago, Binos said:

Hmm, yeah, I've just read this two year old statement 

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/statement-from-cognitive-capital-ltd/

You're fucked

Unlike Moonster I'd like to thank you for efforts here, as this is the most damning charge sheet that could be laid before our shapeshifting owners.  On every count it is a 'Fail'.

Copied and filed for future reference.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's complicated but there are 'C' shares which were assigned to a seperate company which were designed to prevent developers from making us homeless. Whether those shares stand up to the law it remains to be seen but that was their intent. Why demolish it? The land is worth more if houses were built on it, they're building "luxury" apartments across the road from us now and the club is the only piece of land down Castle Road which doesn't have houses on it. The owners don't give a shite about football.

Saw some of the designs for those on Rightmove. They look pretty great tbf.

14 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

There are a few issues there. Starting with our ownership model. Our owners want to bulldoze the stadium. So it would be difficult to get a grant on a site that, if the owners get their way, won't be there in five years.

Now. A stadium move is fantasy of course. Everyone knows that. But if sportscotland were to allocate funding and had a load of grant applications to pick from, then I don't think there's a hope in hell of us getting one.

West Dunbartonshire Council are skint and have a major budget gap. They've just agreed to relay the (knackered) community astro at Dumbarton East Station at a cost of £300k, and there are other Astros at all three local schools and Argyll Park in Alexandria. So I don't see them being able to find it either. Especially for a private facility.

I've no doubt that there might be grants available for a percentage of the cost if we agreed to a community package.  But we're coming from a base of nothing here. The club has no funds. The club has owners who have not put a single penny in, and replaced owners who had also not put a single penny in.

I think we missed the boat when it came to Astros a decade or so ago, when there were more funding packages available and the economy nationally wasn't in such a dire state. I don't particularly like them, but I think they make a lot of sense for clubs like us. And it would be a good way of getting more kids involved. It's council owned (I think?) but I look at Clydebank's Holm Park fairly enviously these days.

Funding packages are pretty good right now if you can demonstrate community usage. I think they're possibly a bit higher than they were a decade ago. The fund he's linked to will provide 50% as standard and will entertain applications for higher percentages. However, there undeniably would be a requirement to get somewhere towards match funding externally (whether that be club or Council or private donations) which starting from scratch would likely need about £250,000 minimum, and you would need to have a demonstrable community programme operating.

Appreciate with Dumbarton's current ownership concerns it's a complete non starter however, not least because of the significant doubt over medium term location. It's not like you can just lift the pitch and take it with you.

Under the current ownership model doing nothing is not an option for those who have the interests of Dumbarton FC at heart.  Without going into detail here, there are avenues currently being vigorously explored for a better future for the club.

Everyone should remember, it is always darkest before the dawn.