Dumbarton vs Stirling Albion

Outcome?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/23 at 15:00

14 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Having glanced out my window whilst half asleep I would doubt this will need an inspection. No frost where I am.

Well, this one aged well.  But to be serious, I have every sympathy with the Stirling people on here who are raging and would encourage them to submit a complaint to both their own club and Dumbarton.  Not forgetting that Sons have supporters who also travel a distance to games here who will also be pissed off.  It's easy to slag off the groundsman, but he shouldn't bear sole responsibility for this latest fiasco.  The DFC Chairman and the club's two Directors now need to ensure that after these repeat shambles this can't happen again.

8 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Well, this one aged well.  But to be serious, I have every sympathy with the Stirling people on here who are raging and would encourage them to submit a complaint to both their own club and Dumbarton.  Not forgetting that Sons have supporters who also travel a distance to games here who will also be pissed off.  It's easy to slag off the groundsman, but he shouldn't bear sole responsibility for this latest fiasco.  The DFC Chairman and the club's two Directors now need to ensure that after these repeat shambles this can't happen again.

Tell me about it... That's my second round trip of 270 miles.

8 hours ago, Jordo1872 said:

Politics shouldn’t come in to it (I know you know this). You are either there for the sole benefit of the football club or you are not. If egos are at play that’s simply not good enough, but points to a wider issue of senior leadership and probably takes us back to the club ownership,

It’s clear to me that the current ground staff situation isn’t sustainable and needs an urgent re-think. That includes the use of our pitch by that colts mob which should be fired directly into the bin.

Both of those issues are less political and far more financial.

48 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Both of those issues are less political and far more financial.

The first point refers to the post I was responding to and has nothing to do with finance. It’s about leadership and attitudes.

The second point I’ll give you. However the financial case for leasing the pitch out the colts should be reviewed when it subsequently contributes to postponements and lack of match day revenue.

I only found out because I happened to have Radio Scotland on in the car and as part of some crappy 'what did you have for your dinner' thing they read out someone saying they'd rushed theirs because they were "going to the Dumbarton game but now it's off". 

Had checked before I left home at about 6.15 about possible pitch inspections etc, but zilch.

When the 7 o'clock news came on the sports presenter was still previewing "first v second in League Two as Dumbarton take on Stirling Albion". Do the club not notify the media when a game's off or do they just stick up a tweet and hope for the best?

Even a quick club e-mail to their distribution list might have stopped some people setting out.

As a member of the Supporters Trust Board I have now contacted our Community Director to let her know the levels of anger in both supports, and especially from those who had already travelled from distance.  I also enquired if DFC would be issuing a statement, and what is the situation with the pitch covers which I believe were purchased as an SFL requirement during our time in the Championship.

She has replied that she only learned of the postponement at the same time as everyone else and she understands that the covers are damaged.  She also expressed her own dismay at the situation.

Taking off my Trust hat, it appears that an assumption was made that the pitch would be playable by the time the match ref arrived.  Experience tells us though that no matter the sunshine, if the temps are near zero there is no way the stand-side touchline becomes playable.  Not for the first time the ref obviously agreed.

Given that last night would likely have seen the biggest home and visiting attendances of the season, it was a fixture that had already been postponed, and it was an evening game with more travel hassle for supporters, officials and players then we should never really have been in the business of assumptions.

The Board of Directors would do well to quickly investigate and address this, starting with the possibility of this Saturday's home fixture with Forfar being affected by the weather conditions.  Rocket science it isn't.

1 hour ago, TullyBascombe said:

I only found out because I happened to have Radio Scotland on in the car and as part of some crappy 'what did you have for your dinner' thing they read out someone saying they'd rushed theirs because they were "going to the Dumbarton game but now it's off". 

Had checked before I left home at about 6.15 about possible pitch inspections etc, but zilch.

The Tweet went out at 18:07, and that would always be where I'd check first for news. Not a lot of use when you're in the car listening to a podcast mind you as some of us were!

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The Tweet went out at 18:07, and that would always be where I'd check first for news. Not a lot of use when you're in the car listening to a podcast mind you as some of us were!

There was nothing on our official site at 6.30pm, there were folk arriving at the pub being told the game was off and not believing us as the websites last story was the preview. The OS is a shambles as it is but it really should be the first thing that is updated, not everyone uses Twitter. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

There was nothing on our official site at 6.30pm, there were folk arriving at the pub being told the game was off and not believing us as the websites last story was the preview. The OS is a shambles as it is but it really should be the first thing that is updated, not everyone uses Twitter. 

If you go on the website though, then the Twitter is the first thing that comes up. Above the news stories on both mobile and desktop.

Obviously it should've been up as a news story too but, and this is purely speculation, what if the few folk with website access were travelling to the game at that point?

A game being called off at 90 minutes notice with no prior warning is a shambles. But even if it's on the website as well as the Twitter it would make a very limited difference to the number of people turning up imo. Especially when most would be travelling to the game by that point.

Question is will lessons have been learned. Nothing improved from last Stirling game.

this has moved on whether park is playable or not too the communication and management of the situation and that should be simple. 

let’s see how we go for this Saturday 

first an update early on Friday from the club on the condition of the park and plans for any inspections etc 

34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Our OS went from being one of the best inall  the leagues to a shithouse that i dont even bother going on now.Why dont they just go back to the old one which was perfect as far as i am concerned.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Dash it, I'd checked just before that when the last tweet sent by the club was still looking forward to a "big night for the Sons" before assembling cap, goggles and driving gloves and leaping into the old two-seater.

1 hour ago, cedrick1 said:

Question is will lessons have been learned. Nothing improved from last Stirling game.

this has moved on whether park is playable or not too the communication and management of the situation and that should be simple. 

let’s see how we go for this Saturday 

first an update early on Friday from the club on the condition of the park and plans for any inspections etc 

Well that looks pretty much in doubt I would say based on Friday's forecast.....

Weather.PNG

13 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well that looks pretty much in doubt I would say based on Friday's forecast.....

Weather.PNG

f**k all will be done about it.Groundsman will turn up saturday morning and say ..games aff...then go back to the 19th hole.

Dumbarton FC’s chairman. Neil Mackay, dismissed the online criticism of the postponement. “Whilst we understand some supporters are unhappy, we cannot control the weather despite what some keyboard warriors believe.

“It’s also right and proper, to note that this was the referee's decision” he added.

“Fans will have a strong voice but we had a long telephone conversation with our experienced groundsman who couldn't attend in person due to preauthorised personal sporting commitments” 

Details of the rearranged fixture date will be communicated through both clubs and the SPFL

Edited by DavidMcG