Dumbarton vs Stirling Albion

Outcome?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/23 at 15:00

An utter embarassment from us yet again. Quite why we don’t have a single person at our club who is able to walk onto a grass pitch and determine if it is playable or not more than an hour before kick off is beyond me and complete amateur stuff. The club deserve every single bit of criticism they are getting here and Stirling fans have every right to be pissed off. It would’ve been clear early doors that the pitch may be an issue.

Curious, are Dumbarton FC generally poor with supporter communication?

Late postponements will always happen and we’ve had this situation ourselves in the past, but it really shouldn’t have been difficult to give some sort of update throughout the day on what the thinking was. 

42 minutes ago, DCismyhero said:

DFC have a lot to answer for. Can’t believe a team who is top of the league is so poorly run. 

To be fair, there's not much of a correlation between what the players do on the park - and a pitch inspection not being arranged off it.

Although, granted, we'd probably have even more points at home if our pitch didn't resemble the Somme.

11 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

Late postponements will always happen and we’ve had this situation ourselves in the past, but it really shouldn’t have been difficult to give some sort of update throughout the day on what the thinking was. 

Yip that’s what I believe. With the temp in Dumbarton all day game was always going to be in doubt.

issue is the lack of control to the decision making and reasonable updates that should have been given . 
seems we didn’t learn any lesson from last game so can only assume it will happen again . 
I don’t think the groundsmans being there would have made a difference to the outcome. 

34 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

Strangely enough I think we've been a bit better at it recently (obviously these games not included) but aye pretty poor covers it well I feel 

This is aimed more at the club in general as we've had board members come and go with no mention what's going on. At ownership level who the hell knows but that's still not a reason why we can't tell fans on a gameday what's going on. It's like the operations of the club thats the issue.

The guys that do match reports, match updates (when they're on) do a great job I will add.

Edited by Clarko_son

What on earth is going on here? Second time this has happened. It's unacceptable to have fans turning up 90 mins before kick off (I was among them) with no knowledge of the game even being in doubt due to non-existent communication. Clearly Dumbarton fans unhappy as well. Shambolic.

12 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

Yip that’s what I believe. With the temp in Dumbarton all day game was always going to be in doubt.

issue is the lack of control to the decision making and reasonable updates that should have been given . 
seems we didn’t learn any lesson from last game so can only assume it will happen again . 
I don’t think the groundsmans being there would have made a difference to the outcome. 

It's been glorious sunshine all day in Dumbarton.

Our groundsman is a joke mate, he should know his pitch, checked the weather forecast and covered the strip of pitch shadowed by the stand, on Sunday perhaps.

He probably played 9 holes of golf earlier and had his dinner disturbed by a phone call regarding a possible issue with the pitch for tonight.

Edited by Silverton End

Once the decision to put covers down had passed earlier in week . Decision was in lap of weather gods.

today was a matter of would temp ruse enough and clearly it didn’t.

chance game was in doubt from p & b posters not good enough 

A guy pulled up outside the Stags tonight and he asked me for directions to the stadium at 7pm, my heart broke when I had to tell him it was off. I found myself apologising to him for the bunch of muppets in charge of our club but really there should be some sort of compensation forthcoming. By 5pm and no word said from the club every fan was right to assume the game was on with no problems. A shambles and what's worse is the club appear to be liking comments on social media blaming the ref and absolving them of responsibility. Get the board and that sham groundsman in the bin. 

Edited by The Moonster

Can't really add anything that hasn't been said by others already. On all counts. If there's a silver lining it's that I'm sitting with the heating on having a cuppa, rather than freezing my pert bottom off watching my beloved Sons pump the Albion.

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

It would be really helpful if the club could, in the coming days, release something more substantial than their “sincere apologies” and explain why an inspection wasn’t called earlier. It’s simply ridiculous. 

I hope Stirling Albion make an official complaint. The club and supporters are out of pocket again.

Communication isn’t really the issue. The main problem is that we are a disorganised mess and we clearly don’t have a plan in place for adverse weather conditions. If there was an inspection to announce or updates needing posted we would’ve done it, unfortunately not a single person at the club made the executive decision to err on the side of caution and call for an earlier inspection, which is absolutely ridiculous IMHO. 

The first thing the board need to do is sit down and decide what our procedure is for determining whether the pitch needs an inspection. If our donkey of a groundsman can’t make it down at a reasonable hour then we need to allocate that job to someone else who can attend the stadium at a reasonable hour. It doesn’t take any training to determine whether a grass pitch looks like it’s holding water or is hard with frost, a fucking monkey could do that. If the groundsman was down at the ground early and decided the pitch was playable (I’m hearing reports that he was “nowhere to be seen”) then we should be finding a new one as a matter of urgency.

I don’t expect any compensation to be dished out but if they had any decency they’d slash the price of entry for the rearranged fixture.

7 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

It sure isn't the Dumbarton fans fault, so gie them peace and email the club with any anger.

Worth nothing. A fan I know of is still waiting on a reply weeks on from enquiring about buying 150th anniversary whisky from the club, if that falls on deaf ears then complaints will be filed straight in the bin. 

Edited by The Moonster