Dumbarton vs Stirling Albion

Outcome?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/23 at 15:00

Just now, Nowhereman said:

Why is it necessarily the club? Maybe the pitch is playable to 99% of people but the ref didn’t fancy it 

I think it’s more the fact we didn’t even bother to announce there was an inspection. Though I guess the club thought there was no need for one and the ref has just rocked up and called it off when he arrived at the normal time.

Just now, Nowhereman said:

Why is it necessarily the club? Maybe the pitch is playable to 99% of people but the ref didn’t fancy it 

Communication yet again, piss poor. This is the second time we've deemed the pitch playable only for the ref to call it off. Clearly we don't have the knowledge at the club and in that case we should err on the side of caution but here we are an hour before kick off being told the game is off after there wasn't even an announcement of an inspection. I'm hearing our groundsman may have been a bit lazy again too in inspecting the park himself...

8 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Aye, that is absolutely the issue and I would like to think that someone has proactively recognised it and taken appropriate action.  Ground currently in the sun is still firm but easing, but if that strip is  uncovered or shaded all day there's a chance that a totally risk-averse referee cans the fixture - we've been here before several times 😙

Not surprised in the slightest.  Shortly after I posted the above I took a wander down and as expected the infamous stand-side strip was very hard, and it was going to take a temp rise of more than 4/5°C to soften it.

Finished my notes and had made it from Dunblane to Gartocharn when I got the call there. Given I'm 10 minutes from Forthbank, can I join the Binos fans on Twitter calling for a refund? 

It's obviously the ref's call. But that really does not reflect well on DFC at all calling off again, especially at such short notice. If there was any doubt at all a pitch inspection should've been called. It never struck me for a minute it would be off when I was driving down.

On the positive side, at least I won't die of hypothermia tonight. So that's something.

15 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Please read my post above.  I'm no groundsman but I'm fairly expert on previous postponements on that pitch and it seemed that there was a potential problem late this morning, and IMO it wouldn't pass an inspection.  I doubt the ref had any option.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Please read my post above.  I'm no groundsman but I'm fairly expert on previous postponements on that pitch and it seemed that there was a potential problem late this morning, and IMO it wouldn't pass an inspection.  I doubt the ref had any option.

When you were down earlier, was there any sign of the groundsman?

Not a surprise given the temp today but it's the lack of even a hint that it was a doubt that's annoyed me more. I live closer to Stirling than Dumbarton so was just getting my jacket on when I glanced at my phone by chance and saw it was off. 

I know it's the refs call but really poor from club not to at least warn.