Alloa Athletic V Kelty Hearts

15 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

I know we are sometimes forced in to changes through injuries or work commitments, but I would like to see us try and play a stable team and shape for the next 4-6 weeks to try and get some consistency in to our performances. Have to say, today’s team isn’t a million miles off the sort of 11 I would go for. 

Playing a steady team and shape for a few weeks would make a huge difference I think. We have never bedded in a settled side or shape this season and the team lacks identity. I noticed the manager in his programme notes yesterday saying injuries had led to Taggs being out of position and partnerships being disrupted, but in reality he has used Taggs at CB even when he had other natural options there, and partnerships have frequently been disrupted by his own choice rather than injuries. Some hope perhaps in those comments that he sees the importance of players in their natural positions and steady partnerships in key areas of the team. I'm not particularly confident based on the last 9 months that we will indeed find any real consistency in selection, but you never know. Even without new additions I do believe we have a team well capable of the top four if we find the right mix. 

14 hours ago, printer said:

Robbo looks off the pace at the moment, maybe he is still carrying a knock, and I thought Miller looked livelier when he replaced him. I actually think a genuine defensive midfielder in there would be a good improvement to the side, someone with pace and strength; maybe that would also allow our more creative midfielders to push on a bit.

That's a good shout. There is an ex Alloa player currently out of favour at Falkirk who could do that job very nicely. Not sure he'd want to go back part-time when he has the option of seeing out his deal though, and I'm sure others are looking at him too. He'd probably end up playing LB if he came back anyway. 

Happy New Year to all Wasps (and Kelty fans). 

Another really poor performance, and absolutely brutal to watch, to have no shots on goal at home to the team sitting 8th is awful. We are slightly better than under Ferguson but performances like yesterday would suggest not by much.

Prior to kick off was happy about the line up and shape but far too many players off the pace. 

Hopefully just an off day but been far too many of them recently and Brian Rice needs to bring in some quality additions in January if we are to challenge for 3rd or 4th.

27 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Another really poor performance, and absolutely brutal to watch, to have no shots on goal at home to the team sitting 8th is awful. We are slightly better than under Ferguson but performances like yesterday would suggest not by much.

Prior to kick off was happy about the line up and shape but far too many players off the pace. 

Hopefully just an off day but been far too many of them recently and Brian Rice needs to bring in some quality additions in January if we are to challenge for 3rd or 4th.

To add to the squad in January,you first need to be able to attract players too the club.Rice said before he couldn't attract any better than we had already.Thats where we are right now,so more of the same is where we go from here it seems.Hopefully we can get players in,but I won't hold my breath.

16 hours ago, Alloa 68 said:

To add to the squad in January,you first need to be able to attract players too the club.Rice said before he couldn't attract any better than we had already.Thats where we are right now,so more of the same is where we go from here it seems.Hopefully we can get players in,but I won't hold my breath.

The manager already said to the press last week that a deal is done and more to come.

7 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

The manager already said to the press last week that a deal is done and more to come.

I don't bother with papers these days,or the press in general,but I'm glad we've managed to get deals done The manager struggled in the summer according to him,so it's good that things have improved signings wise this time around.Any idea which areas we're getting players in to improve?Striker hopefully,defensive mid and a couple of others hopefully.

Most clubs openly admitted it was a struggle to get players in- players less willing to travel further on a regular basis due to massive petrol price hikes amongst other reasons. So that's one less stick to beat the Alloa manager with- he was miles away from being the only one finding it tough and certainly not for the reasons insinuated.

Players are coming in- pretty encouraging if rumours come to fruition. Plenty substance in what Alloa fans are saying. We are on a poor run performance wise due to a combination of that Edinburgh collapse and a ton of injuries. Results wise it's hardly been an unmitigated disaster and is fixable going forward. 

On paper both Alloa and Kelty should have been a whole lot better than Saturday. It was a slog of a game where both teams cancelled each other out with little to get excited about. But hardly an excuse to enter "knock the whole thing down and start again" silly season.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)