Alloa Athletic V Kelty Hearts

Hard to imagine how this will go when we're so far away from the match itself!

I know Kelty have improved since their original poor start, but we need to get back to taking three points from games like this if we're going to have a shot at the play-offs.

Kelty certainly more likely to score but still contained well enough mostly

Forster was immense for kelty total command of the box 

and you can bring a player like Cardle off the bench ? 

better defensively from us but still need more work to be done .

Just now, vespa said:

BBC stats say ONE in the whole game.........sounds like a game I'm glad I missed.

...and that was off target too.

Makes a change, normally we win at a canter when I'm ill.

Pretty dull game. 

Forster dominated our attack. Thought Rankin coming on ahead of Rodden was a strange choice, think his pace would have been a good addition.

Stanger good at the back for us too, he's been one of our best players this season so glad he's getting back to his best. 

Was certainly pretty grim! I was happy to see Taggs at right back in a back four and Kev in midfield but we still looked very disjointed as a team. Such frequent changes in shape and personnel a factor there but so many individual players were off the pace today too. About half of our team had made basic errors inside the opening 15 minutes. 

Stanger was our best player I thought. Scougall worked hard and buzzed about without being able to make a key contribution. MacIver busy too although he should have done better with his chance at the end of the first half. Thought Miller did well off the bench, otherwise not convinced about the changes. Poor Sammon way out of form at the moment. 

A draw was probably the right result. Kelty might argue they deserved to win if anybody did, but like Alloa they look a team not making the most of the players they have at their disposal. 

Something pretty drastic needs to change at the club,or this will continue.Things have been heading this way for months,struggling in games but scraping a win or draw,we are now being found out.Most subs make little impact,and can be utterly baffling at times,and seem like desperation.Sammon could leave right now,and you'd never notice.Worrying times.Rodden looks completely out of the picture as well.What the hells going on?My wee boy wanted to leave at half time,and sadly I convinced him to stay,uninspiring and dreadful.

Edited by Alloa 68

A really poor game and a poor performance from us, with Stranger about the only outfield player to get pass marks for their performance. The team looks absolutely bereft of confidence, and I don't think the constant chopping and changing by the manager is helping. 

Forster strolled through the game for Kelty but we really played into his hands with long balls and crosses from deep that were very easily defended. Having one shot off target and one mishit trickler in the whole game just isn't good enough.

Edited by Dink

No idea of the Alloa formation/ shape, devoid of any imagination and effort. Mciver a waste of a strip. Scrougall was anonymous for the large part of the game. Sammon was ineffective off the bench. 

Foster strolled the game for Kelty he will be letting Alloa players out his pocket at some point tonight. 

if this performance was under Ferguson there would be baying for blood by masses, but we have to accept this pitiful performance under Rice. A down wards spiral. 

34 minutes ago, TheScooter1967 said:

No idea of the Alloa formation/ shape, devoid of any imagination and effort. Mciver a waste of a strip. Scrougall was anonymous for the large part of the game. Sammon was ineffective off the bench. 

Foster strolled the game for Kelty he will be letting Alloa players out his pocket at some point tonight. 

if this performance was under Ferguson there would be baying for blood by masses, but we have to accept this pitiful performance under Rice. A down wards spiral. 

This is what I've been saying for months.If this had been a Ferguson managed performance,fans would be slaughtering him,Rice is not getting the same venom from the fans,and it baffles me.Although today he was getting some verbals from fans around me,and he actually sniped back at them,but he deserves the flack,he sets the team out,he makes the strange substitutions,he plays people out of position.As Waspie said previously,Rice is a poor manager,and that's that.The team look beaten at kick off these days,worrying.I have no belief in things changing for the better any time soon,as do other fans I know.

Edited by Alloa 68

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

Was certainly pretty grim! I was happy to see Taggs at right back in a back four and Kev in midfield but we still looked very disjointed as a team. Such frequent changes in shape and personnel a factor there but so many individual players were off the pace today too. About half of our team had made basic errors inside the opening 15 minutes. 

Stanger was our best player I thought. Scougall worked hard and buzzed about without being able to make a key contribution. MacIver busy too although he should have done better with his chance at the end of the first half. Thought Miller did well off the bench, otherwise not convinced about the changes. Poor Sammon way out of form at the moment. 

A draw was probably the right result. Kelty might argue they deserved to win if anybody did, but like Alloa they look a team not making the most of the players they have at their disposal. 

Every word of this for me today, although I’ll add that I thought Rankine did well when he came on. 

Find it hard to argue either team deserved anything today (even a point!) - a chance when Austin was through well saved by Hogarth, MacIver blasting over on halftime, and a decent strike from range that hit the post for Kelty in the 2nd…that was it for 90 minutes. 

I certainly don’t believe Rice is immune from stick, but I find it a little difficult to pin today on him - Sammon dropped which most folk would agree with, Taggs at RB, Cawley further forward etc - all things the majority (myself included) have been shouting for, we just didn’t perform at all. 

I know we are sometimes forced in to changes through injuries or work commitments, but I would like to see us try and play a stable team and shape for the next 4-6 weeks to try and get some consistency in to our performances. Have to say, today’s team isn’t a million miles off the sort of 11 I would go for. 

28 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Every word of this for me today, although I’ll add that I thought Rankine did well when he came on. 

Find it hard to argue either team deserved anything today (even a point!) - a chance when Austin was through well saved by Hogarth, MacIver blasting over on halftime, and a decent strike from range that hit the post for Kelty in the 2nd…that was it for 90 minutes. 

I certainly don’t believe Rice is immune from stick, but I find it a little difficult to pin today on him - Sammon dropped which most folk would agree with, Taggs at RB, Cawley further forward etc - all things the majority (myself included) have been shouting for, we just didn’t perform at all. 

I know we are sometimes forced in to changes through injuries or work commitments, but I would like to see us try and play a stable team and shape for the next 4-6 weeks to try and get some consistency in to our performances. Have to say, today’s team isn’t a million miles off the sort of 11 I would go for. 

Agree with all of these points and, indeed, with most of the points Alloa posters have made. 

Rankine looks to have a nice touch and good awareness. Not sure what his normal position is, thought he was a striker, but he was pretty much a direct replacement for Cammy, maybe pushed a bit further forwards.

Robbo looks off the pace at the moment, maybe he is still carrying a knock, and I thought Miller looked livelier when he replaced him. I actually think a genuine defensive midfielder in there would be a good improvement to the side, someone with pace and strength; maybe that would also allow our more creative midfielders to push on a bit.

On a positive note we are still very much in the race for a top four place. Let's see what BR can do in the transfer window.

Edited by printer

Worth noting again today, Donnelly was out running before the game... Before he got injured I thought he was key to our unlocking of defences (and of course picking up a goal or two himself)  and it would suggest he'll be back before February as initially feared.

If I could pick man of the matches - Stanger for us and Forster for Kelty were excellent which probably tells you everything you need to know about the game.

Was particularly frustrated that Offord didn't have a couple of attempts but contrary to some of the reaction I'm not sure that Kelty offered much more than us. Couple of tidy strikes from range at the end from Cardle and Tidser but all in all we limited Agyeman and Austin all game with Hogarth mopping up anything Stanger couldn't get perfectly well.

Agree with pretty much everything written on here. Really poor game today. We have not made much progress this season on that showing.  Just glad we have miraculously accumulated hopefully enough points to keep us away from trouble at the bottom. 

We won't trouble the play offs . 7th or 8th at best. Brutal last season but not much better this term .