Kilmarnock v St Mirren

Away from home and down to ten men for effectively 90 minutes with stoppage time included and the score sitting at 0-0. Of course we were time wasting and defending, which is absolutely the correct thing to do in that situation. 

Despite all of that, we still looked more likely to score than Kilmarnock.

Jinkies this thread has more action in it than the game did.

Erhahon's red is a red, even despite it being soft. He might have gotten away with it if it had happened the other side of the pitch, but it was literally a handful of yards from the referee who, if you look at the replays, was looking in the direction of the pair. Did McKenzie provoke him? Yeah, but the retaliation was nothing short of petulance and clearly lost us 2 points.

Erhahon has bulked up and become more aggressive in his play over the last 18 months, and that's a good thing - he needed to and fans wanted him to, sadly though his inexperience on when to use that physicality has not progressed at the same rate. There is every chance he will be away in the window and I am not entirely disappointed with that, cashing in on him now seems like the most sensible solution for all parties.

As for the game, it's as clear as clear can be that if we had kept 11 players on the park, we'd have won that game at a canter. Killie hardly made a dent with the man advantage and other than one good header late on, Carson could have a deckchair out and taken a break for large parts of the game.

All in all, I'll take the draw, we were not going to get beaten by this lot even taking into consideration our dreadful away form, and while Erhahon costing us a couple of points, the result sees us 6 points, 2 games and 12 goals ahead of Killie which, judging by the two teams I saw out there yesterday, is a divide I can only presume growing considerably come the end of the season. Who knows, Killie might even avoid the relegation playoff which would have to be seen as a major success for McInnes.

I like Killie, it has to be said, an established club playing at a classic old school stadium, with a decent enough following to make home and away games against them entertaining. I just wish they'd remove the red hand of ulster from their badge, a bit staunch really, and fine if that's cool with their fans then fair enough, but out dated religious imagery isn't a good look.

1 hour ago, Saint Shug said:

Poetry in motion. 

Funnily enough did that boy barge his arm/elbow/shoulder into gorgeous Joe after his rugby tackle? Looks like he had a sneaky aggressive motion. 

We defended well when we had to (majority of the game) , we picked our moments well on the counter. Set pieces let us down when we got the chance to put balls into the box. Trying not to be harsh but Grieve probably should have scored, if not force the keeper into a worldy.

Actually agreed with McInnes when I watched his interview. Complimentary to our defending, could see Killie trying all sorts of different ideas and methods , when yous did get the 2 chances Carson done what he had to do. 

I think Killie can definitely get 9th/10th from what I have seen of them. Maybe need a wee bit extra quality in the final third and in midfield.

Not that much between Aberdeen and County at the bottom. Points wise or quality wise. 

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

Erhahon's red is a red, even despite it being soft. He might have gotten away with it if it had happened the other side of the pitch, but it was literally a handful of yards from the referee who, if you look at the replays, was looking in the direction of the pair. Did McKenzie provoke him? Yeah, but the retaliation was nothing short of petulance and clearly lost us 2 points.

Erhahon has bulked up and become more aggressive in his play over the last 18 months, and that's a good thing - he needed to and fans wanted him to, sadly though his inexperience on when to use that physicality has not progressed at the same rate. There is every chance he will be away in the window and I am not entirely disappointed with that, cashing in on him now seems like the most sensible solution for all parties.

As for the game, it's as clear as clear can be that if we had kept 11 players on the park, we'd have won that game at a canter. Killie hardly made a dent with the man advantage and other than one good header late on, Carson could have a deckchair out and taken a break for large parts of the game.

All in all, I'll take the draw, we were not going to get beaten by this lot even taking into consideration our dreadful away form, and while Erhahon costing us a couple of points, the result sees us 6 points, 2 games and 12 goals ahead of Killie which, judging by the two teams I saw out there yesterday, is a divide I can only presume growing considerably come the end of the season. Who knows, Killie might even avoid the relegation playoff which would have to be seen as a major success for McInnes.

I like Killie, it has to be said, an established club playing at a classic old school stadium, with a decent enough following to make home and away games against them entertaining. I just wish they'd remove the red hand of ulster from their badge, a bit staunch really, and fine if that's cool with their fans then fair enough, but out dated religious imagery isn't a good look.

Won at a canter? 😂

St Mirren fans getting a wee taste of the top 6, a new experience, ending up all delusional.

There's a collective Lord of the Flies effect amongst the Saints fans on this thread.

You do know that, as usual, it'll all end in tears for the Paisley Buddies.

Bottom line yesterday was that we just weren't good enough to break you down, but you weren't very good either, suck it up. We are this seasons new boys in the league, survival is our only aim and then we'll see where we go once Del gets rid of the dead wood in our squad.

BTW, Gogic and Main would get football stopped. You can't defend their thuggery, it's indefensible.

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

This is clearly a fishing trip so I won't spend much effort in debate, bit just wanted to enquire what the red hand of Ulster chat is about - do you genuinely believe that is what is shown?

s-l400.jpg

St Mirren did exactly what they should’ve done in the circumstances yesterday. Every team will do the same, it’s a credit to St Mirren that they did it so well. Battling to a 0-0 draw was a great result for them and as others have said it wasn’t backs to the wall for them for the 90 mins.

Chrisene was the biggest let down for me yesterday because he just wouldn’t go and commit. I don’t understand why McInnes can’t see/fix that in the first half when it’s literally right in front of him. Maybe Ben was being told to hold back I’m not sure.

On a side note, I thought Fraser was an excellent captain the other day, but it was noticeable the minute Shaughnessy came on, he was given the armband. His tackle, if you could call it that, was clearly from a player who was more committed to his club succeeding than his worry about getting a card. I was surprised it wasn't red, if only because of the sheer lack of subtlety. It was, rather fittingly, a rugby tackle to fit the name of the stadium. It'll be a shame to see Joe go, and I'd be very surprised if, when he goes, Kilmarnock/McInnes aren't tempted to grab his signature.

34 minutes ago, Paxo said:

This is clearly a fishing trip so I won't spend much effort in debate, bit just wanted to enquire what the red hand of Ulster chat is about - do you genuinely believe that is what is shown?

s-l400.jpg

the only song your fans sing is the billy boys so it’s a fair chance that hand should be red

5 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

the only song your fans sing is the billy boys so it’s a fair chance that hand should be red

Lol, mini **** etc - good one mate 👍

Might as well open a Rangers shop at Rugby Park eh?! No, I'm kidding obviously, we would never be tinpot enough for that.

On 30/12/2022 at 13:39, deadasdillinger said:

Sometimes you wonder how yet another Killie v St Mirren fixture could possibly be livened up, then KTID26 and Hendo oblige with the handbags to give the game a wee edge.

Seems we both have a derby now 😀

Was a bit sad to see our usual pre-match haunt the Brass & Granite has now closed down but on the upside the replacement boozer we visited, the First Edition, was absolutely brilliant.

Great range of reasonably priced beers, about a thousand tellies, great service and decent food and all whilst allowing fans to wear colours too.

Was absolutely no bother with fans of Celtic, Rangers, Kilmarnock and St.Mirren all enjoying a few drinks before and after the game.

Highly recommended if you're heading down to Rugby Park anytime soon, place is absolutely massive too.

On the time wasting thing; very few things I'd take from US sports in to football, but I'd love 2 30 minute halves with the clock stopped whenever play is stopped.  (I think on average the ball is in play for around an hour in most 90 minute games?)

Takes all the controversy over how many minutes should be added - all games will always be the same amount of time in play.

Sure teams could still take a bit longer at times to break opponents who have momentum, but they can do that just now anyway.

The more elements of the game we can remove from human judgement the better.

16 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

On the time wasting thing; very few things I'd take from US sports in to football, but I'd love 2 30 minute halves with the clock stopped whenever play is stopped.  (I think on average the ball is in play for around an hour in most 90 minute games?)

Takes all the controversy over how many minutes should be added - all games will always be the same amount of time in play.

Sure teams could still take a bit longer at times to break opponents who have momentum, but they can do that just now anyway.

The more elements of the game we can remove from human judgement the better.

That would do more much more than standardize "in-play" time, it would affect teams game management tactics - no more ball boys going slow or RowZ clearances leaving non-footballing defenders at a disadvantage - might we see another cathartic moment like Thommo's last minute equalizer against Oldco - the result that tipped them over the edge IMO.

Would it finish like Rugby Union where games don't finish until the ball goes out of play after the allotted 80 mins?

48 minutes ago, Div said:

Was a bit sad to see our usual pre-match haunt the Brass & Granite has now closed down but on the upside the replacement boozer we visited, the First Edition, was absolutely brilliant.

Great range of reasonably priced beers, about a thousand tellies, great service and decent food and all whilst allowing fans to wear colours too.

Was absolutely no bother with fans of Celtic, Rangers, Kilmarnock and St.Mirren all enjoying a few drinks before and after the game.

Highly recommended if you're heading down to Rugby Park anytime soon, place is absolutely massive too.

we were in the portman hotel which was very busy.service was excellent,the food looked lovely and fans of 4 teams gathered with absolutely no sign of any trouble.also a beer garden which was well used yesterday altho there was a funny,herbal like smell out there 

2 hours ago, Paxo said:

s-l400.jpg

Clearly not the red hand of Ulster. Clearly showing how many men St Mirren would need to have sent off before losing a goal to Kilmarnock.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Exactly the same scenario for us and have to agree it was an excellent replacement and only really 5 mins further away. Will be our new Rugby Park trip haunt now and noticed the table reservations so will definitely do that next time too.

23 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Clearly not the red hand of Ulster. Clearly showing how many men St Mirren would need to have sent off before losing a goal to Kilmarnock.

That's a conservative estimate.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

The referee never once spoke to Carson about time and the one booking he gave was for hesitating at a throw in a period of the game when we were well on top.

Again, the referee being weak and being treated for a mug by St Mirren's players is exactly why some people are complaining about the timewasting. If he'd actually intervened earlier then there wouldn't be the complaints on this thread.