Pele

2 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I had SSN on in the background last night, but was I imagining things or did they really use Pele's death as an excuse to shoehorn Gordon Banks's half-decent save in 1970? 

😂

While I praised the tribute last night, they did spend a good minute talking about that vastly overrated save yes

10 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

i was fortunate enough to see Pele at Hampden against Scotland in a friendly just before the 1966 World Cup. Billy Bremner kicked him up and down the park...and that was just during the National Anthems. Nobody noticed Scotland until they scored in the first minute. Sadly Pele suffered even more brutal treatment and was literally kicked out the World Cup in the qualifying round.

I was 14 at the time of the 1970 World Cup...we could watch football on colour TV and we had genuinely never seen anything like it. Jairzinho, Gerson and Rivelino were fantastic but Pele was something else. It's the goals he didn't score that particularly stick in the memory...Gordon Banks' phenomenal save from his header...nearly lobbing a startled Czech goalkeeper from the half way line...and the dummy on the Uruguayan keeper which moved everyone watching one place to the left.

It's always said that sportsmen with special talent seem to have more time than anyone else...the iconic fourth goal in the final against Italy was the perfect example....he controlled the pass from Jairzinho, had time for a puff at a cigar before rolling the ball right into Carlos Alberto's stride.

Good God, this could have been myself writing this, right down to the exact same age as yourself.  Even at a half-century and more the Brazil team of 1970 remains the gold standard of football as it should be played, with Pele the brightest jewel in the crown.

As for the keepers, thanks to the great man I've had the names Ivo Viktor and Ladislao Mazurkiewicz imprinted all that time.

Greenie for the memories.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

14 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

While I praised the tribute last night, they did spend a good minute talking about that vastly overrated save yes

It shows how good Pele was. Banks was the greatest keeper of all time for saving a Pele header and Bobby Moore the the best defender for winning a tackle against him once. 

To my knowledge he only ever made 11 appearances in the British Isles... which shows how less "global" football was in those days. Majority of these were on Santos world tours, where they were playing a game every other day in different countries.

Think this is the lot. Note how it literally becomes all about him during 1970s:

Monday 22nd October 1962     Sheffield Wednesday 2-4 Santos     49,058

239-2.jpg

Wednesday 8th May 1963     England 1-1 Brazil     92,000

20094.jpg

Saturday 25th June 1966     Scotland 1-1 Brazil      74,933
Tuesday 12th July 1966        Bulgaria 0-2 Brazil       47,308     at Everton
Tuesday 19th July 1966        Portugal 3-1 Brazil      58,749     at Everton

JS31738888.jpg

2e9e9yx.jpg

Monday 22nd September 1969     Stoke City 2-3 Santos     23,756

image.png.2560a7df245d975d26976b9aed893588.png

Monday 21st February 1972              Aston Villa 2-1 Santos                                      55,000
Wednesday 23rd February 1972     Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Santos               36,996
Saturday 26th February 1972            Bohemian & Drumcondra 2-3 Santos     30,000

382a2fd0-8830-11ed-82fa-63026f5c3cd4.jpg

294.jpg?1628593363

?width=342&version=4309797

Monday 12th March 1973             Fulham 2-1 Santos                          21,464
Wednesday 14th March 1973     Plymouth Argyle 3-2 Santos     37,639

59685_a.jpg

a6ecb1ae27547d40681831a24963762e--plymou

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I'm maybe being a bit of a bam here, but what's so impressive about this goal?   Ball won in own third, simple pass to CH,  couple of easy passes into midfield where there is absolutely zero press,  a decent bit of play by the midfielder to draw a few players in and get some space, TBF but still over 60 yards from goal,   a basic ball down the line,  winger cut inside, an easy ball infield and an simple pass to the expected on rushing full back.    That's going to be lucky to be in the top 10 league one goals this year.  

You're not.

Most overrated goal of all time. No pressing at all.

A child's team could have put that together.

Meanwhile Messi is making Gvardiol look like a diddy clown shoe seasider.

20 minutes ago, Venti said:

You're not.

Most overrated goal of all time. No pressing at all.

A child's team could have put that together.

Meanwhile Messi is making Gvardiol look like a diddy clown shoe seasider.

Football has changed massively over the years...players are much fitter and more tactically aware now but brutal tackling is no longer a part of the game. It has been an absolute privilege to have seen Pele, Marradona & Messi play football but back in the day football was more of a physical challenge. Marradona was fouled 28 times in the World Cup game against Italy in 1982 - 2 Italians were booked. Messi's assist against Croatia was fantastic but in Pele's day he would have been hacked down before he had ran 5 yards.

2 minutes ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

Football has changed massively over the years...players are much fitter and more tactically aware now but brutal tackling is no longer a part of the game. It has been an absolute privilege to have seen Pele, Marradona & Messi play football but back in the day football was more of a physical challenge. Marradona was fouled 28 times in the World Cup game against Italy in 1982 - 2 Italians were booked. Messi's assist against Croatia was fantastic but in Pele's day he would have been hacked down before he had ran 5 yards.

The 'hatchet man fallacy'. Really?

So the physically superior atheles defending in this era aren't more of a threat than yonder year hatchet men?

Ffs.

1 hour ago, Venti said:

The 'hatchet man fallacy'. Really?

So the physically superior atheles defending in this era aren't more of a threat than yonder year hatchet men?

Ffs.

Correct. These defenders only have to touch these modern day forwards and they drop to the ground.