St Johnstone v Heart of Midlothian

No thread yet as far as I can see. 

Tough game this, Celtic result aside St Johnstone have been in very good form and our record up there is awful at the best of times. Add to that we lost 3 of our first choice back 5 at Tannadice and it makes it even harder.

I hope we get rid of the 3 central defenders, we have looked much better with a flat back 4 this season. 

If we are going to win we'll need to score at least twice as we just don't do clean sheets. I'll go for a 1-1 draw.

I've stayed up in Scotland for an extra four days purely to attend this fixture.

Home win, imo. Sorry, everyone.

Need to wait and see who is fit to play. Not been following the news much over the last few days. Halkett obviously out, but do we have confirmation on Kingsley? Without him, surely we need to go to a back four? Bite your arm off for a point.

Edited by VincentGuerin

We have an extremely poor record there, I'm not expecting to win but I think it's possible if we play well, it really depends how we set up and what players we have fit and available.

Would go with

Clark

Sibbick Rowles Cochrane 

Smith Snodgrass Devlin Halliday 

Gino Shankland McKay 

My prediction is 1-1 draw 

McKay with a long overdue goal.

8 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

E8647E67-1BB3-4E26-96CE-19B6D66CF1E4.jpeg

99F76DDF-0CD5-410E-B360-D5270190B69E.jpeg

I guess its the worry the more players become available, really.

Absolute certs to start should be Matthews, Mitchell, Considine, McGowan, Wright, Wotherspoon, May and Clark.

So really it should be a choice of LWB from Booth, Gallacher or Montgomery. 

Then a choice of 2 CMs from Carey, Hallberg and Phillips.

I have a feeling we'll see Brown and McLennnan wedged in somewhere though.

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I guess its the worry the more players become available, really.

Absolute certs to start should be Matthews, Mitchell, Considine, McGowan, Wright, Wotherspoon, May and Clark.

So really it should be a choice of LWB from Booth, Gallacher or Montgomery. 

Then a choice of 2 CMs from Carey, Hallberg and Phillips.

I have a feeling we'll see Brown and McLennnan wedged in somewhere though.

I'd be surprised if he drops Gordon and I don't agree that Wotherspoon is a certain starter, but do agree with the others and he'll surely start Hallberg. Think this is the wrong game for them though with the pace and quality they have up front. LWB will be Monty I'd imagine.

I don't think he'll start McLennan, as he just seems much more effective off the bench but you've got to think we'll try to exploit the weakend Hearts defence and his direct running at full-backs would be useful.

A Callum classic with Brown, Crawford and McPherson all starting I reckon, you can tell he's itching to start the latter two.

I'd prefer Remi, Wright, McGowan, Mitchell, Considine, Montgomery, Carey, Phillips Wotherspoon, Clarke, May.

WB's and wide midfielders important in this game, need to get Zander under pressure with crosses but also with the ball on the ground. He was never great with the ball at his feet so for that reason I could maybe see the logic in swapping out Nicky for someone that would press more, which I guess would be Bair?

Thinking this will be a score draw but also get the fear that this will be one we lose to a Hearts penalty.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I'd prefer Remi, Wright, McGowan, Mitchell, Considine, Montgomery, Carey, Phillips, Wotherspoon, Clarke, May.

I think that would’ve my team as well - I think you could play Hallberg for Wotherspoon potentially but I’d prefer Spoony. If we play Brown on the left or bring in Crawford/MacPherson/McLennan then we’re weakening ourselves IMO.

Big game. Hearts weakened by the injuries at the weekend and playing an unfamiliar back line with a new keeper. Important that we try to play the game in Hearts’ half as much as we can. Big prize on offer as well if one of the mid table glob can put a run together.

Given our run of games coning up, 3 out the next 4 at home, I don't think a draw would be the worst result, but I really hope we start on the front foot.  Too often we try to feel our way into away games and find ourselves 1 down before we start playing.

Definitely bin the back 3. I don't even see how it makes sense when we've actually got defenders available.

Sibbick and Rowles looked decent as a partnership at Celtic Park and Ibrox so I'd just focus on giving them a run of games together for now.

Clark

Smith Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Devlin Snodgrass Halliday

Ginnelly Shankland McKay

3 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Definitely bin the back 3. I don't even see how it makes sense when we've actually got defenders available.

Sibbick and Rowles looked decent as a partnership at Celtic Park and Ibrox so I'd just focus on giving them a run of games together for now.

Clark

Smith Sibbick Rowles Cochrane

Devlin Snodgrass Halliday

Ginnelly Shankland McKay

That's what I'd go for as well. Maybe Kio or Grant instead of Halliday, but flat back 4 and an extra man in midfield makes more sense with what we have available.

Just makes sense when you have fewer good defenders available to play fewer of those weaker players.

Always think it's daft when defensive weakness leads to putting more bodies in the side that aren't as good, which just makes a poor player making an error more likely.

We have good midfielders and attackers available, so use them to protect the defence and go with the four.

We'll see, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Is there any danger of this being off? I'd seen there was quite a lot of snow the last few days, if that thaws and its heavy rain today how will the pitch hold up?

Pitch will be playable (but undoubtedly a mess).

Beginning to think Fog might be an issue. Hopefully clears this evening. 

19 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

That's what I'd go for as well. Maybe Kio or Grant instead of Halliday, but flat back 4 and an extra man in midfield makes more sense with what we have available.

I've liked Halliday in a midfield 3 this season because he's one of the few CMs that contributes goals. I don't mind the idea of playing Grant instead but I'm not sure Kio offers much.

14 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Just makes sense when you have fewer good defenders available to play fewer of those weaker players.

Always think it's daft when defensive weakness leads to putting more bodies in the side that aren't as good, which just makes a poor player making an error more likely.

We have good midfielders and attackers available, so use them to protect the defence and go with the four.

We'll see, I suppose.

I've noticed we've been getting caught with balls over the top playing the three this season. It's an extra player to not hold the line and the (enforced) lack of consistent selections just exacerbates that. 

11 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I've noticed we've been getting caught with balls over the top playing the three this season. It's an extra player to not hold the line and the (enforced) lack of consistent selections just exacerbates that. 

Aye, I'm prepared to give the team and coaching staff a bit of a pass due to this. The number of changes we've had to make at the back has been incredible, and I think we've often looked like what we are; a team playing with less than first-choice players in defence, often out of position.

That said, to have only lost two out of 15 against sides outwith the OF in that context is decent.

Needs sorted in January if we're to push on though.

Edited by VincentGuerin

I think Sibbick and Rowles seem to work quite well as a back pairing. Particularly with Kingsley and Halkett out [my phone now auto-predicts this sentence, I have written it so much!!].

I would love to see the team @DC92posted. Looks pretty perfect, although I think that Connor Smith and Pollock deserve some time in the first team at some point too

1 hour ago, Stylish Kid said:

P.s. we'll probably lose as we have a honking record over the last decade against Scotland's 3rd most successful team of the decade (behind Celtic - oodles of trophies, and Rangers 1 cup and 1 league)

Somebody’s probably gonna tell you we’re the second most successful 🤣