Players from Islands

afca32

I noticed Ross County have recalled youngsters Matthew Wright and Adam Mackinnon from their loan spells at Montrose. Both are from Lewis. Does anyone know of other islanders to have played in the SPFL or SFL etc? I'm sure there are some but none come to mind.

Surely means Scottish islanders, otherwise anybody from Ireland/etc. counts...?

Lewis Thom (Lewis & Harris), Harry Johnston (Orkney), Jim McAlister (Bute) and Russell Doig (Cumbrae) only examples immediately springing-to-mind:

Lewis Thom - Wikipedia

Harry Johnston (footballer, born 1949) - Wikipedia

Jim McAlister - Wikipedia

Russell Doig - Wikipedia

EDIT: also a great novelty pub quiz question: Adam Crozier best known for his time as chairman of the Football Association, then later Royal Mail and ITV, is actually Scottish - and was born on Bute.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, afca32 said:

I noticed Ross County have recalled youngsters Matthew Wright and Adam Mackinnon from their loan spells at Montrose. Both are from Lewis. Does anyone know of other islanders to have played in the SPFL or SFL etc? I'm sure there are some but none come to mind.

Any player who comes from the UK or Ireland is an islander.

On 27/12/2022 at 08:48, afca32 said:

Does anyone know of other islanders to have played in the SPFL or SFL etc? I'm sure there are some but none come to mind.

John Frederiksen, no, wait, played….well, technically he has played a little bit…but he stands head and shoulders over the others named!

Edited by TxRover

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Literally every person in the world comes from an island, even if it's a really big one involving dozens of countries.

Not those born in the air or at sea…

Edited by TxRover