Pie and Bovril is 20!

Joined relatively recently by comparison to most in here, December 2017, apparently. I had been visiting the site just to read threads for a few years before that I think.

Not really a prolific poster most of the time, but genuinely love p&b and spend probably far too much time reading all kinds of threads that have f**k all to do with Ayr. P&B is pretty much the only social media (if you can call it that) that I use. So basically, thank you very much to all of you that have came before in making it what it is and keeping it interesting.

For any newer posters I thoroughly recommend reading through the P&B Gold threads for a very good crash course in the forum's history. Some truly excellent stuff. There's been some brilliant stuff in the 5 or so years I've been on here so long may that continue. 

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

For any newer posters I thoroughly recommend reading through the P&B Gold threads for a very good crash course in the forum's history. Some truly excellent stuff. 

Not enough new stuff goes into the gold section anymore. Think the mods have got rid of too many of the sites “controversial” posters. 

FT Mods 😂 

5 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Glad to see from those pics that the 5s inspired Christopher Brookmyre to knuckle down and make a career of the writing rather than continue hanging out with the PnB massive…

It was a link on his website that reminded me that this place existed shortly before i joined in 2015

Previously got most of my football news through MSM and was a late adopter of computer as a means of communication. I previously occasionally lurked (and rarely posted) on an Aberdeen forum, mainly for transfer/injury gossip. 

I'd always thought of the internet as being for nerds. I have since come out as a nerd and embraced it. It's a good skive. 

6 hours ago, AuAl said:

For any newer posters I thoroughly recommend reading through the P&B Gold threads for a very good crash course in the forum's history. Some truly excellent stuff. There's been some brilliant stuff in the 5 or so years I've been on here so long may that continue. 

The "Out the loop" thread was excellent for catching up on things missed in other parts of the forum.

Joined in early 2012 just for some passive reading. then on valentines day everything spiced up a bit. I honestly think that this site played a much bigger part in the fan led threat of boycotts that ultimately got clubs to vote out their proposal of parachuting newco into the top flight. the traditional media and the clubs themselves were very much on board with it.

FWIW now that the dust has settled! - although numerous clubs had went into administration in the last 20 odd years, only one had went into liquidation & re birth in living memory - Airdrie in 2002. although the started the following season as Airdrie utd in the bottom tier, that was because they took clydebank's slot after they folded the same season. There wasn't really ANY precedent or rules that said a club HAD to start again in the bottom division if they folded and were subsequently relaunched! We all kinda just assumed there was..

Rangers, their fans and complicit media would have been far far better off to ditch the threatening and antagonistic tone they took (and subsequently scunnered everyone with to the point that moderates and fence sitters came round to our way of thinking! ) and simply cite the English FA's handling of Leeds utd in 2007 - only 5 years before when they did the same and ended starting the next season at -15. If they did that it would have probably worked.

Anyway after all that I'm still here!

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

10 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

You’d genuinely need to do an enhanced disclosure on people if you were going to arrange something like the fives now.

Also the chance of people having a square go will have increased tenfold since back then.

Tbf, that would be very funny. Intentionally make the teams a mix of the most mental folk and get it streamed for all who can't make to enjoy.

12 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

FWIW now that the dust has settled! - although numerous clubs had went into administration in the last 20 odd years, only one had went into liquidation & re birth in living memory - Airdrie in 2002. although the started the following season as Airdrie utd in the bottom tier, that was because they took clydebank's slot after they folded the same season.

You're wrong. Airdrieonians were indeed liquidated but after Airdrie United lost out to Gretna on filling the vacant league place in the fourth tier, they purchased the only asset that Clydebank possessed...their place in the third tier.

In effect Clydebank were renamed Airdrie United and relocated to the Excelsior Stadium. They didn't fold.

13 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Joined in early 2012 just for some passive reading. then on valentines day everything spiced up a bit. I honestly think that this site played a much bigger part in the fan led threat of boycotts that ultimately got clubs to vote out their proposal of parachuting newco into the top flight. the traditional media and the clubs themselves were very much on board with it.

FWIW now that the dust has settled! - although numerous clubs had went into administration in the last 20 odd years, only one had went into liquidation & re birth in living memory - Airdrie in 2002. although the started the following season as Airdrie utd in the bottom tier, that was because they took clydebank's slot after they folded the same season. There wasn't really ANY precedent or rules that said a club HAD to start again in the bottom division if they folded and were subsequently relaunched! We all kinda just assumed there was..

Rangers, their fans and complicit media would have been far far better off to ditch the threatening and antagonistic tone they took (and subsequently scunnered everyone with to the point that moderates and fence sitters came round to our way of thinking! ) and simply cite the English FA's handling of Leeds utd in 2007 - only 5 years before when they did the same and ended starting the next season at -15. If they did that it would have probably worked.

Anyway after all that I'm still here!

Maidstone United and Aldershot didn't fare so well. Nor did Rushden & Diamonds, the year before Rangers went belly up. More recently, Bury.

39 minutes ago, RiG said:

Surprised there has been no mention of former poster (The) Kilt on the thread.

He stirred some shit in the early days of the Pregnancy & Parenting thread, which is usually an oasis of helpfulness and empathy.

On 09/01/2023 at 13:53, Molotov said:

Not enough new stuff goes into the gold section anymore. Think the mods have got rid of too many of the sites “controversial” posters. 

FT Mods 😂 

There was a point people tried too hard to get threads into the Gold section.