Pie and Bovril is 20!

2 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Surely a 20th anniversary 5s is in order?

I never made a 5s but have met a few regular (and some infamous) P&Bers over the years but lost touch with most, a mass party would be both a great and terrible idea

I would be up for this, only if Aberdeen get @Melanius Mullarkay, not the Dundee team.

I joined in 2008 according to my profile. I was sure it was sooner but maybe I lurked for a while before signing up.

I used to post on Steelmen Online and would see a lot of (usually angry) references to "them on Pie & Bovril". Decided to have a look and don't think I've been on Steelmen Online since. 

There's been a lot mentioned in this thread which I either completely missed or simply don't remember. The only thing I can remember reading as it happened was XBLs (or was it the Grey Ghost) meltdown after some burd turned him down. 

54 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

There's been a lot mentioned in this thread which I either completely missed or simply don't remember. The only thing I can remember reading as it happened was XBLs (or was it the Grey Ghost) meltdown after some burd turned him down. 

The OG post has long gone but it's still quoted from time to time...  

On 17/10/2015 at 00:25, itzdrk said:

that bitch. Yeah you, you averagy looking cocktease. You girl who got yourself alone from your mates, who started dancing with me, who made me laugh, and yeah, you lured me off the dancefloor and I actually even offered to buy you a drink. Well see when I look round, you have a faceful of another bloke, then f**k you! And don't try and act like nothing happened. f**k you you cockteasing bitch!

XBL also renamed himself as Vectron or something like that and started talking about himself in the third person. 

Apologies for the double post but found this old belter regarding Kilt when searching for the XBL quote. Yikes!  

On 12/04/2017 at 13:35, Francesc Fabregas said:

A great story from 2006 or 2007:

A female poster announced she was going on holiday and would be travelling from Glasgow Airport. Kilt, who worked in customs, in a bold and unusual move, used his influence to check her flight times and then accosted her in the queue at security with a box of chocolates.

You'll have to go a long way to find something as sinister.

26 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Respect for all the members who have stuck to their original names and avatars for 20 years. Those that kept abbreviating or changing their usernames are arsehiles.

Some people were wrongly banned by jumped up little Hitlermods so had to change.

Apparently.

Kilt either got banned or voluntarily stopped posting.

I think someone said his kids are now posters so if they are I'll delete this but someone once told me that Kilt attracted a lot of stick because of some of his behaviour.  He once posted in GN about the fact his wife wanted to leave him and that he was going to make changes to his life and try to win her back.  Shortly afterwards he attended either the Fives or another get together and didn't behave in a way that was consistent with a man trying to make his marriage work, if you get what I mean.

I'm sure he was a decent guy but I think there's a certain generation that just doesn't do well on the internet and he's part of it.

Edited by ICTChris

Pie and Bovril is my all-time favourite website. I've been using it for almost 18 years after an associate recommended it to me and it's the very best place on the internet to talk about and debate Scottish football - nothing else comes close. It's the first place I come after a Stenhousemuir match, and I feel like I've learned so much about the game courtesy of this site: a reasonable degree of knowledge I've been able to take on in my career.

On top of that, I've had some brilliant real-life interactions, most notably playing for the Pie and Bovril Select side between 2006 and 2009 (who could forget David Wilson's lob from inside his own half against Bairnfica!) and winning the Pie and Bovril Fives tournament in 2007 with a squad largely pooled from people who used the site (and judging by the photos from this period, my vibe was simply appalling).

Here's to another 20 years!

Finally, the greatest post in the history of Pie and Bovril is:

Ronkers

I know I'll have said something similar the last time there was a nostalgia thread like this but the golden era of the forum was probably the period mentioned above between 2005-2009 before social media properly took off, with the Fives, the site football team, the subcrawls (I think they might have been a couple of years later) and probably just a general lack of folk responding to each other with gifs / "at least you're not bothered" / "rent free" etc etc or posters making stuff up* for clout.

I think the curve would have gone something like this:

2003: why would you want to meet up with folk off a Scottish football forum, they're probably all serial killers or weirdos who live in their mum's basement?

2008: people off a Scottish football forum are sound, just normal people who enjoy football and (largely) a few drinks

<twitter happens>

2023: no seriously, why the f**k would you want to meet up with folk off this website?

If you had the fives this year you'd probably have to have a separate room for folk who want to discuss politics / covid etc, maybe one with lead walls. 

*apart from posting about shagging a girl who looked like Hayden Panieterre or deliberately pissing yourself so a girl wouldn't talk to you, because those were posted in that era and didn't happen

5 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I joined in 2008 according to my profile. I was sure it was sooner but maybe I lurked for a while before signing up.

I used to post on Steelmen Online and would see a lot of (usually angry) references to "them on Pie & Bovril". Decided to have a look and don't think I've been on Steelmen Online since. 

XBL

4 hours ago, RiG said:

XBL also renamed himself as Vectron or something like that and started talking about himself in the third person. 

Did he not sign off those posts with "by VECTRON" or something similar?