January transfer window

15 hours ago, renton said:

Still is for another few days until his contract runs out there. Free agent after that. Murray apparently keen to keep him. Has had literally one (admittedly, very) good game vs. Ayr at Starks. Has done nothing outside of that. 

Hopefully we don’t keep him, wasting a wage on someone who’s bang average and not up to the standard required for the championship.

one of the worst strikers I’ve seen at starks park next to Lewis Allan all what Connell is a long throw in merchant 

41 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So we only wasted a little money instead of a lot?

Plus he'll need paying off so that'll add up.

We aren’t going to get every single signing right though. Since January last year our success rate has been very good, with most at least contributing in some way.

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We aren’t going to get every single signing right though. Since January last year our success rate has been very good, with most at least contributing in some way.

But this one seems to have bypassed the recruitment process, which I'm sure Mathie has worked to put in place so this type of thing doesn't happen. Not even really a matter of getting it wrong because that can obviously happen at any club, but this one was a massive failure, even just in terms of his basic footballing ability. I can't imagine if Mathie or that had actually watched a few games of his prior to his signing then they would have signed off on it.

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

But this one seems to have bypassed the recruitment process, which I'm sure Mathie has worked to put in place so this type of thing doesn't happen. Not even really a matter of getting it wrong because that can obviously happen at any club, but this one was a massive failure, even just in terms of his basic footballing ability. I can't imagine if Mathie or that had actually watched a few games of his prior to his signing then they would have signed off on it.

Yep.

Remember when the club had no money and could only sign players from the Juniors/amateur level who were nowhere near good enough?

That's the kind of player Bangala reminds me of. 

Edited by Richey Edwards

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Yep.

Remember when the club had no money and could only sign players from the Juniors/amateur level who were nowhere near good enough?

That's the kind of player Bangala reminds me of. 

Someone on here ITK mentioned after he had been here a few weeks that the general consensus from the club was he was better off the ball than he was on it.

That's a massive red flag looking back at it.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Someone on here ITK mentioned after he had been here a few weeks that the general consensus from the club was he was better off the ball than he was on it.

That's a massive red flag looking back at it.

A football player who looks better when you don't give him the ball is not a football player.

31 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

They said at the vision night that it wasn’t a case of signing him in a recommendation, they did due diligence and looked at all his data. 

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They said at the vision night that it wasn’t a case of signing him in a recommendation, they did due diligence and looked at all his data. 

Well f**k me then. Would love to have seen the data on that. I will stand by that he is nothing but a massive dud, I'm more confident on that than I am regarding anything about any other Ayr player.

26 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Well f**k me then. Would love to have seen the data on that. I will stand by that he is nothing but a massive dud, I'm more confident on that than I am regarding anything about any other Ayr player.

I've had a look at stats for him and would love to know what about them made them think "f**k aye, we'll sign this guy".

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So we only wasted a little money instead of a lot?

Plus he'll need paying off so that'll add up.

The club will likely have weighed up the factors and thought they can afford to take a gamble on him since it wasn’t an area of the pitch that needed drastic action taken. We already had Murdoch and Dempsey with Hewitt and Smith coming through. There’s also no way of knowing what his contract is. There might be break clauses in our favour that can be activated depending on his playing time. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

And this is the main point. It’s improved immensely and the summer just gone was probably the most successful in the last four or five years. If the club can maintain a ratio of one bad signing for every three good signings then that’ll be good going for this level. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

And even then the data will probably be pretty sparse considering the level he was at. Bullen definitely said he was brought to his attention by Reda Johnsen and once Bullen spoke to Mathie they agreed to look into him. 

7 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I might be misrembering the vision night but I'm pretty sure Bullen mentioned it was a punt. However, he talked about his back story and the adversity he had to overcome in life. That the character he had was exactly what they wanted in the squad.

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The club will likely have weighed up the factors and thought they can afford to take a gamble on him since it wasn’t an area of the pitch that needed drastic action taken. We already had Murdoch and Dempsey with Hewitt and Smith coming through. There’s also no way of knowing what his contract is.

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

It was also insinuated that it was a pretty cheap and therefore low risk signing. It hasn’t worked out though but it hasn’t been a terrible deal for the club

There might be break clauses in our favour that can be activated depending on his playing time. 

A lot of wishful thinking and wagon-circling around your club there, about the terms of a contract that cannot be known. 

If Inverness' finances are as bad as their posters are saying (being advised to go into admin in September) then I'd like us to be one of the vultures potentially looking at Deas and Harper.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

A lot of wishful thinking and wagon-circling around your club there, about the terms of a contract that cannot be known. 

Well aye, I’ve never claimed to know anything and my wording makes it clear that it’s all guesswork. 90% of the discussions on this forum relating to signings and contracts are based on guesswork. 

What isn’t guesswork though, is that his signing doesn’t fit into the clubs recent policy in the transfer market which makes it a bit bizarre. What I will say though is that it’s nice going into January without having a list as long as your arm with players that you need shot of. 

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

If Inverness' finances are as bad as their posters are saying (being advised to go into admin in September) then I'd like us to be one of the vultures potentially looking at Deas and Harper.

Did they not turn down decent money from St Johnstone for Deas about a year ago? Bet they wish they’d taken it if so.