January transfer window

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Truth is, most Scottish football teams are kept afloat by individuals pumping cash in. Did the Morton sweetie man not recently write off about £2.4 million in share capital and loans that had shored the club up?  If it wasn't for Rae, your club might well be jookin' it out with Gretna 2008 in the Lowland League.

Grateful as I am to Rae for his role in saving the club back in 2001, his tenure as chairman was characterised by gross financial mismanagement.  

Over spending on dud players coupled with lack of any effort to maximise the commercial side of the club led to annual losses that were duly absorbed by golden casket.  So it’s not like we bought our way to success by running up debt - the club was poorly run by the raes for over 20 years so it’s only right that they took the hit for the losses rather than passing them on to the new owners of the club.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye this 

Same as the junior thickos getting themselves in a tizzy over people calling out the likes of Darvel for the same thing. 

Agree: don't have a problem with supporters at any level arguing 'it's within the rules', but pretending it's some kind of master plan is both weird and dishonest.

There's very little money floating around in this league, so access to anything at all over and above what a club brings in through gates/tv/commercial confers a massive advantage (anybody who thought QP would finish outside the promotion play-offs was just ignoring reality).  

14 minutes ago, Vril said:

Grateful as I am to Rae for his role in saving the club back in 2001, his tenure as chairman was characterised by gross financial mismanagement.  

Over spending on dud players coupled with lack of any effort to maximise the commercial side of the club led to annual losses that were duly absorbed by golden casket.  So it’s not like we bought our way to success by running up debt - the club was poorly run by the raes for over 20 years so it’s only right that they took the hit for the losses rather than passing them on to the new owners of the club.

Spot on.

Was just about to post that most of the debt accrued was Dougie Rae wasting money on whatever Dougie Rae wanted to waste money on... he was perfectly entitled to do that while he was in charge, but, as you say, he/Golden Casket were therefore obliged to pick up the tab... (and fair play to Crawford in the end for accepting that).

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

9 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Agree: don't have a problem with supporters at any level arguing 'it's within the rules', but pretending it's some kind of master plan is both weird and dishonest.

There's very little money floating around in this league, so access to anything at all over and above what a club brings in through gates/tv/commercial confers a massive advantage (anybody who thought QP would finish outside the promotion play-offs was just ignoring reality).  

Aye let them carry on. They’re lucky enough that someone wants to pump a fortune into the club. We had it years ago with Barr and it nearly fucked us. It very, very, very rarely ends well at this level no matter how much fans cry about their club doing it in a sustainable way. 

No club is every going to get to the point where they are able to be self sustaining whilst also spending that much money. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye let them carry on. They’re lucky enough that someone wants to pump a fortune into the club. We had it years ago with Barr and it nearly fucked us. It very, very, very rarely ends well at this level no matter how much fans cry about their club doing it in a sustainable way. 

No club is every going to get to the point where they are able to be self sustaining whilst also spending that much money. 

Cant disagree with that. However, until there is a reason not to, I will assume it is being done with the best interests of the club at heart and will be riding this wave of good fortune. 

1 minute ago, mcjameos said:

Cant disagree with that. However, until there is a reason not to, I will assume it is being done with the best interests of the club at heart and will be riding this wave of good fortune. 

Which is exactly what you should be doing. 

Let’s not forget Morten invented Administration for football clubs, prior to being run in a totally unsustainable manner.

Good luck to QP, although I’d like the cash to run out before you pip us to the title, obvs. 

1 hour ago, IR1970 said:

Neill was supposed to play in bounce game last night for Alloa but got pulled when yiu announced the sacking of Macintyre.

I could definitely seeing that loan deal collapsing. With Sanders away back to Killie and Hartley likely to return (who signed Morgyn on a 3 year deal) he probably will need to stay with us or go out towards the end of the window.

McIntyre disliked Morgyn from day one and Morgyn despised him or that's what I hear from other fans.

43 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Let’s not forget Morten invented Administration for football clubs, prior to being run in a totally unsustainable manner.

Good luck to QP, although I’d like the cash to run out before you pip us to the title, obvs. 

Did we aye? 🤣🤣🤣

42 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Sure, if you don’t count the administrations of Airdrie & Queens Park before us.  And conveniently forget the fact that we were put into administration as a direct result of an asset stripping spiv lining his own pockets - nothing to do with unsustainable spending or living beyond our means

next

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Was it f**k Morton, who were only playing at debt.

The true kings of debt and administration are our friends along the road. For a provincial club to run up debts of £12M the Pars take some beating.

36 minutes ago, Vril said:

Sure, if you don’t count the administrations of Airdrie & Queens Park before us.  And conveniently forget the fact that we were put into administration as a direct result of an asset stripping spiv lining his own pockets - nothing to do with unsustainable spending or living beyond our means

next

Wooah, s**t, when did that happen? 

2 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Wooah, s**t, when did that happen? 

Ayr played Morton in their last ever game, protests, pitch invasions, the lot. We showed support and solidarity by fucking them 4-0

All joking aside. Hugh Scott should be a lesson to all football fans, that they should never get complacent about who owns their club and what they are doing with it. Selling the club to a thin skinned, angry wee man with no interest in football was negligence by the previous board. 

Bill Barr spunked money on Ayr and apart from the hospitality suite, did nothing with the infrastructure of the club. Queens Park appear to be doing that part right but sustainability is a large part of a building process and when clubs try to force it, it rarely ends well. *cough*DundeelivingstonGretna*cough*

After the Barr experience, you will not hear an Ayr fan moan that Smith isn't pulling his chequebook out this window, we know that sustainability is more important to grow the success rather that buy success and hope for sustainability, 

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Ayr played Morton in their last ever game, protests, pitch invasions, the lot. We showed support and solidarity by fucking them 4-0

All joking aside. Hugh Scott should be a lesson to all football fans, that they should never get complacent about who owns their club and what they are doing with it. Selling the club to a thin skinned, angry wee man with no interest in football was negligence by the previous board. 

Bill Barr spunked money on Ayr and apart from the hospitality suite, did nothing with the infrastructure of the club. Queens Park appear to be doing that part right but sustainability is a large part of a building process and when clubs try to force it, it rarely ends well. *cough*DundeelivingstonGretna*cough*

After the Barr experience, you will not hear an Ayr fan moan that Smith isn't pulling his chequebook out this window, we know that sustainability is more important to grow the success rather that buy success and hope for sustainability, 

And if it hadn't been for the Cameron's writing the cheques to keep us afloat i'm pretty sure we'd have gone bust too...

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I was there on the pitch that day and at the time I genuinely believed that it was going to be our last game.  I’d actually forgotten who we were playing and what the score was - at the time I suppose it didn’t really matter as there was a pretty mournful atmosphere. That’s why (despite 2 decades of mismanagement) I still hold Douglas Rae in high regard - without him I wouldn’t still have a team to support 

2 hours ago, Vril said:

And conveniently forget the fact that we were put into administration as a direct result of an <i>asset stripping spiv lining his own pockets</i>- nothing to do with unsustainable spending or living beyond our means

next

I’m sure that was of great comfort to the creditors. 

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

This is it. Many clubs who aren't doing it now have done it before or will do it again, so there's a lot of people in glass houses throwing stones if they complain about it.

What's daft is fans of a club doing it denying the reality of the situation. No one's going to turn down Willie Haughey turning up at their door with barrowloads of money and you still need to manage to spend that money competently enough to have success with it, but denying that the spending is happening or acknowledging it but arguing it's somehow sustainable is weird.

Edited by Dunning1874