January transfer window

Just was interested to see if any of yous have heard anything about any players your club might be buying in January or just any player's you want your club to sign im general

As a thistle fan i reckon we need a new backup fullback and winger as i dont feel smith/hodson is up to it. 

In terms of qp, if we’re to really make a genuine title charge, we need to add a couple of bodies in for depth. Our first 11 is as strong as anyone in the league but take one or 2 players out of that through injury and we’re struggling I feel. We’ve signed winger Aaron Healy from Arthurlie who seems to be the real deal in the WOFSL and seemingly turned down hearts to join us. Big jump but excited to see what he’s about 

Expect 2-3 outgoings with Johnny Kenny’s loan from Celtic being apparently cut for him to join shamrock rovers. David Boateng and Lewis Moore being let go wouldn’t be surprising in the slightest either. All 3 of them miles down the pecking order 

A back up striker and possibly a right back would be my priority if we’re to add anyone throughout January 

Edited by qpfc

Not been linked with a single name although that's not unusual as the club is pretty much watertight now with stuff getting leaked. Only way we'll ever read now about players been linked with us is if their agent has blagged it to the media. 

Our squad i would say is similar to Queens Parks in that our starting 11 is as good as anyone's in the league but when we get some injuries we're down to the bare bones with the bench players not being much use as we're currently finding out with our injury crisis...

Would hope we'll be in the market for a CB/RB/CM as our defence has little depth and it has the most injury prone players in the squad, also barely have any midfield cover for Murdoch/Dempsey except youngsters. Wouldn't be surprised if a couple went out the door too. 

Lots of fan chatter, very little confirmed by the club. Murray has stated he is in talks to keep O’Riordan, Ngwenya and (confusingly) Connell. Connell’s contract is up in January, not just his loan, so we’ll see what that means…otherwise, there’s been no talk (from the club) of anything coming in or needed except a medium term keeper loan.

Niall McGinn should almost certainly be offski in January, and with his wages opened up coupled with the 200k from the Rangers LC QF and the 100k from Jason Cummings' wild World Cup ride, we can get that extra bit of depth and quality in to keep our positive momentum going into the new year and consolidate some kind of consistent lead in this very tight league.

We have among the best squads in the league already, and unlike QP and Ayr we have enough depth to cover some injuries (which will never not feel weird as it's basically the same as our relegation squad last season), and our current run has missed some key players for some or all of it. Still though, form is temporary and there is always room for improvement, and there are a couple of areas where that additional bit of quality could make all the difference, especially with so many out of contract at season's end. Robinson staying with us for the full season is a big plus to begin with. A new CB option might be a smart shout (weird saying this with our current clean sheet streak, but again firm is temporary!)

Names like Charlie Gilmour do not appeal too much to me, especially for PCAs as the club need to have one eye on the fact these PCA players could be walking into a Premiership club next season. I trust Gilmour has impressed on loan at Cove this season, but his iffy-at-best time in Perth has me hesitant to sign him.

Looking forward to the usual baseless Stevie May/Simon Murray/Efe Ambrose rumours to pop up on The Dark Blues forum. Doubt there'd be too many interesting international names coming up, as Bowyer is most comfortable looking back home (with merit to an extent), but after the frustrating summer window any business at all will be welcome, including if it's extensions to the young lads/McMullan and some others.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Calvin Miller has been training with us since October having left Chesterfield after the window closed, so wouldn't be surprised to see him sign as soon as the window opens.

Liam Grimshaw is out of contract and there's no news yet on signing a new deal, it'd be a massive boost to get him signed.

There's an out the blue rumour from the Sun that Lewis Strapp is going to Dinamo Tbilisi for a six-figure fee, when he can leave for nothing in the summer. That could explain why we're likely to sign Miller, but it's plausible that it's just his agent planting stories to drum up interest in pre-contracts.

We'll definitely be looking to add a centre forward, possibly another central midfield option (or bringing Reece Lyon back from his loan at Annan) but no rumours of who the targets would be yet. Provided Grimshaw stays I'd expect Darren Hynes to go out on loan, with such a small squad as it is we've no need for a third choice right back.

There was a rumour that we had 3 lined up to come in early January around the time Kirk and Musonda both got injured but that's gone quiet now. 

There were also rumours about a French Centre half but that also has died down. 

I'd like for some of our fringe players to go out on loan for experience.  but if we get any more injuries, they will be needed. 

13 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Names like Charlie Gilmour do not appeal too much to me, especially for PCAs as the club need to have one eye on the fact these PCA players could be walking into a Premiership club next season. I trust Gilmour has impressed on loan at Cove this season, but his iffy-at-best time in Perth has me hesitant to sign him.

TBF to Gilmour, he never really played for us and it was unlikely he'd be chucked in with the form we hit last season.

I don't think hes good enough to start in the top flight though, and it feels like a weird signing to be rushing to do, as I'm not convinced hes not someone you couldn't get better than later on in the season.

Akinola must be a reasonable candidate to be mutually consented, there's a player in there but he needs a fresh start, probably back in England. Would make the same argument for Smith who has been outscored by Jamie Sneddon this season, but would maybe look to loan him out for the rest of his contract so that when he inevitably rediscovers his pre-Firhill form that at least he can't play against us.

Hodson's loan is up at some point in January and he's another one who's disappointed but he does cover a number of positions (badly) so we might try and keep him. The 2 existing Rangers loans might be reviewed depending on the new management there, they might want Weston to go somewhere for more game time.

Only rumoured incoming so far is Jamie Murphy from St Johnstone on loan but another injury prone player isn't what we need. We would need another defender if Akinola went, whether it would be another centre half I don't know as McMillan can cover CB.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can’t see us being so organised that we’ll have players lined up already. Can maybe see one or two coming in towards the end of the window. 

Musonda's injury may be longer term, seen as he went off with suspected cramp in October and not kicked a ball since and Kirk had a suspected broken ankle. It may have prompted them to get something organised as soon as the window opened, or at least I hope it would. 2 out of 3 centre half's injured. 

Kirk is back training but I doubt we'll see him back on the park until the end of January. Musonda, no idea. 

We’re going through a pretty big injury crisis atm. Unless that clears up asap it won’t really matter what we do in the January Window.

If we want to make a push for the title/cement a playoff place then we need as a bare minimum a starting LB, starting RB and Centre Mid.

Hopefully we can move the likes of Smith, Bryden and Bangala out on loan. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can’t see us being so organised that we’ll have players lined up already. Can maybe see one or two coming in towards the end of the window. 

Nah, we seem to be being run properly off the pitch these days. I’d be surprised if we didn’t have 1 or 2 in for the Hamilton game on the 7th. Morton game on the 2nd may be too soon. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF to Gilmour, he never really played for us and it was unlikely he'd be chucked in with the form we hit last season.

I don't think hes good enough to start in the top flight though, and it feels like a weird signing to be rushing to do, as I'm not convinced hes not someone you couldn't get better than later on in the season.

He's been a welcome signing for us. A strong championship central midfielder who still has time and scope to develop further. Whether he'll progress into top flight calibre is hard to say. Could well be viewed as a rushed signing. If Dundee go up they will inevitably strengthen and Gilmour could well be a fringe player. There's risk for both sides.

33 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

He's been a welcome signing for us. A strong championship central midfielder who still has time and scope to develop further. Whether he'll progress into top flight calibre is hard to say. Could well be viewed as a rushed signing. If Dundee go up they will inevitably strengthen and Gilmour could well be a fringe player. There's risk for both sides.

Think game time should be the priority for him, tbh.

Hes almost worth viewing as a few years younger than he is due to injuries ruining his earlier career.