Dunfermline v Falkirk

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

But surely you'd be saying the exact same line if it wasn't given?

I don't think the linesman guessed at all anyway; I think he thought it was in.

Well, no. That doesn’t make any sense at all. You can’t give a goal unless you’re certain it has crossed the line. If you’re not certain it crossed the line, you can’t give a goal. That’s totally different to what (I think) you’re saying -  that he can’t not give a goal, because he doesn’t know if it crossed the line or not? Is that really what you’re trying to say here?

20 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Well, no. That doesn’t make any sense at all. You can’t give a goal unless you’re certain it has crossed the line. If you’re not certain it crossed the line, you can’t give a goal. That’s totally different to what (I think) you’re saying -  that he can’t not give a goal, because he doesn’t know if it crossed the line or not? Is that really what you’re trying to say here?

I'm saying if it wasn't given then we'd get folk saying that the linesman shouldn't be guessing etc, with the implication that it should have been awarded.

I'm also saying that I believe the linesman thought the ball had crossed the line, which is why he gave it. He was certain, in his view, that it was in.

I haven't read any of the thread since before the game started as I can't be arsed reading the inevitable vitriol.

The better team won the game and the best team is going to win the league. McPake will know that nothing fancy is required now and Dunfermline will do what they've done all season and win it in a canter.

As far as we are concerned, we were absolutely shite last night. Once again we've choked in a big game and essentially made things easy for Dunfermline. I think the keeper did ok, Mackie was all right, Rowe was ok when anyone bothered to give him the ball and Henderson and Burrell weren't completely disastrous when they came on. The rest were minging. I expressed my concerns on young Max being a starter given the occasion, crowd and the fact that he'd be up against better players and it seems I was right. The man who really got on my tits though was Donaldson. It may be he's playing as he does on the manager's instruction, but he looks like he's out for a gentle stroll rather than playing football. He has always been one that slows the play but this seems to becoming a notable feature. He consistently ignored Rowe in acres of space when an attack was on and either turned and gave it to Mackie or straight to the opposition. He's a good player and should be comfortable at this level but I think he's slowly turning in to a liability.

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

I haven't read any of the thread since before the game started as I can't be arsed reading the inevitable vitriol.

The better team won the game and the best team is going to win the league. McPake will know that nothing fancy is required now and Dunfermline will do what they've done all season and win it in a canter.

As far as we are concerned, we were absolutely shite last night. Once again we've choked in a big game and essentially made things easy for Dunfermline. I think the keeper did ok, Mackie was all right, Rowe was ok when anyone bothered to give him the ball and Henderson and Burrell weren't completely disastrous when they came on. The rest were minging. I expressed my concerns on young Max being a starter given the occasion, crowd and the fact that he'd be up against better players and it seems I was right. The man who really got on my tits though was Donaldson. It may be he's playing as he does on the manager's instruction, but he looks like he's out for a gentle stroll rather than playing football. He has always been one that slows the play but this seems to becoming a notable feature. He consistently ignored Rowe in acres of space when an attack was on and either turned and gave it to Mackie or straight to the opposition. He's a good player and should be comfortable at this level but I think he's slowly turning in to a liability.

Agree with all of this apart from Mackie. Quite confident the 2nd goal wouldn't have happened if McKay was on the pitch.

6 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

He's been brilliant actually. Confidently top 2 in the league

Just behind Benedictus then?

I liked Donaldson when he was with us. He did well, albeit in a dreadful team. I was jealous when he signed for you guys. But he’s prone to a stinker - as he had last night. Been decent the other 2 times we’ve played you though. Very good defender at this level. Not sure I’d have Donaldson ahead of Breen or Benedictus, but he’s definitely one of the best defenders at this level.

14 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

😯

I said at the time it looked a bit like the Pars were claiming for a ball that might not've crossed the line but didn't think for a second that it actually might not've.

Jeez! Looks like it didn't cross after all!

Dunfermline were certainly on top second half but the heads went down after that - small margins etc.

12 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Agree with all of this apart from Mackie. Quite confident the 2nd goal wouldn't have happened if McKay was on the pitch.

TBF I couldn't tell you what happened with either goal. Seems the first may not have been in and I thought the Dunfermline player had hand balled it when Kinnear tried to clear. I assume this wasn't the case though as it seems the other 9499 folk in the ground didn't agree!

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

The thread has actually been reasonably restrained tbf, I'm planning in taking as much credit as possible for extending an ilive branch on the Falkirk thread earlier in the season. 😉

On your comments on the game, can't agree that Mackie was all right (KRH should never be outjumping him for the second goal), think Rowe started off OK but faded and particularly when O'Hara came on and like you I was surprised Henderson didn't start. Max was fine if unspectacular in the first half but was pretty anonymous in the second.

14 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Totally agree with you on Donaldson last night. 

I just felt there was a lack of urgency from him when he was in possession and we could've had the ball being distributed a lot quicker onto the wings or into space, but he just slowed it down far too much. There were times when Wighton or another Dunfermline attacker would press him while in possession, and instead of using the keeper or other options, he'd safely stick the ball out for a shy. He was too cautious.

He's been brilliant for us this season but, like others, didn't deserve pass marks last night from me.

22 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The thread has actually been reasonably restrained tbf, I'm planning in taking as much credit as possible for extending an ilive branch on the Falkirk thread earlier in the season. 😉

On your comments on the game, can't agree that Mackie was all right (KRH should never be outjumping him for the second goal), think Rowe started off OK but faded and particularly when O'Hara came on and like you I was surprised Henderson didn't start. Max was fine if unspectacular in the first half but was pretty anonymous in the second.

I've just watched the highlights and, due to him being out-jumped by that wee guy at the second goal, I take back everything I said about Mackie.

Henderson had to go off at half time on Saturday as he was unwell so I assume that's why he didn't start.

21 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Just behind Benedictus then?

I liked Donaldson when he was with us. He did well, albeit in a dreadful team. I was jealous when he signed for you guys. But he’s prone to a stinker - as he had last night. Been decent the other 2 times we’ve played you though. Very good defender at this level. Not sure I’d have Donaldson ahead of Breen or Benedictus, but he’s definitely one of the best defenders at this level.

Aye, I liked Donaldson allot as a player and come the end of the season he was one of the few who could hold his head high, I was pretty gutted when he went to Falkirk. He didn't play well last night but if I was making up a team of the season I'd absolutely have him in it. 

12 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Aye, I liked Donaldson allot as a player and come the end of the season he was one of the few who could hold his head high, I was pretty gutted when he went to Falkirk. He didn't play well last night but if I was making up a team of the season I'd absolutely have him in it. 

That would be an interest thread elsewhere (and I daresay there will be one nearer the time). Think there would be a few Pars players who would be shoo-ins but I can't say there have been too many other stand out performers in the division. Ruari Paton maybe for his goals?

11 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

That would be an interest thread elsewhere (and I daresay there will be one nearer the time). Think there would be a few Pars players who would be shoo-ins but I can't say there have been too many other stand out performers in the division. Ruari Paton maybe for his goals?

Donaldson, Benedictus, Mehmet, Morrison, Paton, Matty Todd, Mccann/Edwards all in for me

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

In my head I've got Dunfermline making up the bulk of the defence. 

Mehmet

Comrie- Bene-Donaldson-Edwards 

I'd argue that should be set imo! 

When you get to midfield and attack though it's harder. I see what you're saying about Paton, however looking at the BBC it has Gallagher with the same amount but with a better MPG, Robertson is a goal back however has the best MPG in the division... 

All that said I'd go for. 

Morrison-Todd-Frizzell-Nesbitt

Gallagher - Paton

I'd argue that Morrison and Todd should be set in stone, and while I've put Nesbitt out wide when he seems to have played central this season, his assist tally is such that you can't leave him out. Frizzell is there because of how well Airdrie have played against us, wouldn't surprise me if other people have another player.