Dunfermline v Falkirk

Just now, HibsFan said:

Catastrophic ones, one would imagine. Wee shame.

Reveal hidden contents

image.gif.68fe05df5fec8e66f91944f323ecad2f.gif

There’s got to be a point where they have to cut their cloth and look to break even rather than trying and failing to buy this league season after season.

5 minutes ago, BooBairn said:

Barring the first 30 minutes in the first fixture where we dominated, McPake has absolutely figured us out. We haven’t laid a single glove in the past 2 fixtures. 

Not sure it’s even McPake. Dave MacKay does the homework on opponents and we always seem to have a plan A, B and C. Quite a culture shock after previous managers.

11 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

But who had more corners?

I wasn't counting but probably Dunfermline. 

Tonight had the same feel as the previous match at TFS. We are utterly toothless up top against a physical team, the first goal tonight had a de ja vu feeling and the second goal was a complete brainfart from Callumn Morrison. 

No doubts the better team won and have as good as clinched the league barring a monumental collapse that simply wont happen. Fair play to Dunfermline

No complaints. Pars are all wrong for us. The only thing we add Iin January was a physical striker and we were never landing on that back line without one. Playoffs for us. It looked that way before, its sealed now.

We won't face anyone anywhere near as good as Dunfermline in them.

Well that was painful. Dunfermline are a good team and much more effective than us, fair play to them. Can’t say it’s not deserved. 

I thought our subs had a really negative effect on us. Cannot understand why McGinn was hooked. I don’t think many of our guys were that terrible to be honest but I think we were just bettered in so many areas of the pitch.

It’s a sore one but we’ve got to try and pick ourselves up as quickly as possible. The playoffs are not what we wanted but the importance of winning them cannot be understated. 

Edited by Just a bairn

Absolutely brilliant, I honestly love this team so fucking much.

Absolutely woeful in the first half and yet kept it shut at the back McPake changes it again and wins the game. Hope McGlynn is as salty in his post match interview tonight.

Aye, fair play to Dunfermline Athletic - they deserved the win tonight based on their second-half performance alone. They were excellent over the 45 minutes and really took the game to Falkirk. I thought they'd sit on their lead but they continued to push forward to add to their tally, and they could have scored more than two. I thought Kane Ritchie-Hosler was the best player on the park but Chris Hamilton performed well at the base of midfield and Craig Wighton had a number of lovely touches up top too. James McPake used his substitutions well and the introduction of Kevin O'Hara, for instance, forced Blaine Rowe on the back foot and left Callum Morrison without support.

It really feels like a seismic result and it's difficult to imagine how the Pars can lose from this position. They hold an eight-point advantage over the Bairns with nine games to play - who's going to be against them now?

Falkirk did not turn up tonight. East End Park really seems to bring out the worst in John McGlynn and we saw that again this evening. Other than Brian Kinnear, who made a couple of important saves, no-one played well. The defence looked haphazard at the worst possible moments and both goals were so easily preventable. The midfield was overrun and Stephen McGinn, who should have been taking the game by the scruff of the neck, was nowhere to be seen. Max Kucheriavyi was not involved and should have made way for Liam Henderson at the interval. Most worryingly of all was the performances of Morrison, Aidan Nesbitt and Kai Kennedy. Morrison, as we mentioned, was often marked out of the match and left isolated, but Nesbitt and Kennedy were completely anonymous (and I only remembered they were playing when they were substituted). It's one thing turning it on against a terrible team like Peterhead but where were they when it came to the showdown?

I've long thought that if they didn't win the league, Falkirk would get promoted via the play-offs; tonight's performance, however, has made me doubt that. This was the biggest game of the season and the key players just didn't perform. That augurs poorly for the game against Ayr United on Monday, or a play-off final against Hamilton Academical. How they bounce back from tonight's setback will be interesting to watch.