Hamilton Academical thread

Don't have a huge amount of love for the Accies but we were sad to see you go down, as nobody can stand it that it's scummy Airdrie that are coming up. Horrible town, club, fans and ground.

Good luck! Hope you can at least find some stability, regroup and come back. Or at the very least don't do a Brechin City (who doesn't love a soup-fuelled away day and a hedge).

I'm not clear why but I've had a little fondness for Accies since the early-mid 90s, despite you breaking our hearts in the 1991 B&Q cup final. I think it was the home top with the up and down white chevrons or something. Anyway, good luck lads, main thing is you get your club back before it's too late.

1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:

Accies said a couple of weeks ago we would stay full time if we went down but have to say I can't see that happening.

Rankin in paper saying it was pre Xmas form that got us relegated and the players have been great since the turn of the year - one win in the last 11 games 😂😂.

We hit a good run of form in January/February and had a couple of good performances since, but fucking hell we were absolutely honking in the few games before the cup final and in almost every game after it. Imo we were absolutely just as bad in that spell as we were pre-Christmas.

That said, our preparations for this season were always gonna give us a false start, and the blame for that lies entirely on the board. The mystery of Stuart Taylor's departure resulted in us being managerless for a month during the transfer window and they decided to rip up months of recruitment work, leaving us with only Michael Doyle and Jonny Ngandu signed for the league season starting - neither of them finished the season at the club. That's their fault, although all the signs of Rankin's ineptitude were on show 45 minutes into the league cup campaign. 

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The gravy train appears to have ended where Kelty Hearts and Edinburgh City are concerned and I doubt Annan are going to be much of a factor (famous last words) so hopefully that helps avoid a second consecutive relegation if the club goes fully part-time at this point as must surely be necessary from a financial standpoint?

Accies are not Partick Thistle or Dunfermline Athletic in support terms so people need to be realistic on their expectations now that the club is no longer Ronnie MacDonald's plaything. The club did well in recent times because he was unusually astute for a football director rather than because the club had the financial backing from the fans that would usually be necessary to be making regular appearances in the top flight.

A more poorly run Accies is likely to be much the same as a club like Stirling Albion with no sugar daddy behind them and that means anything from desperately attempting to avoid the Club 42 playoff to the occasional jaunt back into the Championship is very much possible in the years ahead.

Unfortunately I think you may be right and we will bob between the championship and league 1 unless we find another sugar daddy.

51 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

We hit a good run of form in January/February and had a couple of good performances since, but fucking hell we were absolutely honking in the few games before the cup final and in almost every game after it. Imo we were absolutely just as bad in that spell as we were pre-Christmas.

That said, our preparations for this season were always gonna give us a false start, and the blame for that lies entirely on the board. The mystery of Stuart Taylor's departure resulted in us being managerless for a month during the transfer window and they decided to rip up months of recruitment work, leaving us with only Michael Doyle and Jonny Ngandu signed for the league season starting - neither of them finished the season at the club. That's their fault, although all the signs of Rankin's ineptitude were on show 45 minutes into the league cup campaign. 

Not forgetting the re-signing of Jamie Hamilton. Another masterstroke.

1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:

Not forgetting the re-signing of Jamie Hamilton. Another masterstroke.

Surely he'll be binned now? 

37 minutes ago, cdhafc1874 said:

Did he not sign a 2 year deal or did I imagine that?

One of six who we definitely know are under contract for next season. 

Fulton, J. Smith, Hamilton, L. Smith, Zanatta, Winter

I believe there's another one contracted to bring it up to seven first team players, but I don't know who that one is. 

I've got no dog in the fight of pointing and sniggering at other teams so hope you can regroup, stick together and try and get back. 

We've been in L1 not that long ago, but the world keeps turning and your team will always be your team.

Hopefully off field issues can be resolved to the benefit of the club, not one person is bigger than the collective, the community, memories and history that comes with all of that.

All the best when GTF day comes. 

21 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I've got no dog in the fight of pointing and sniggering at other teams so hope you can regroup, stick together and try and get back. 

I don’t either but supporters of both these clubs enjoyed our predicament 3 years ago and weren’t slow to show their delight. What goes round comes round!

44 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Wasn't Jamie Hamilton supposed to be the next big thing coming through at Hamilton? Playing when he was just 17, what's happened to him?

Yip. Was excellent in the second half of the Covid season and looked certain to move on that summer, but he fell to pieces in the Championship, got shunted to right-back to cover for our dreadful recruitment before getting injured with a couple of games to go. His injury also coincided with his contract expiring and a few folk have said that he had no real willingness to keep himself fit while he didn't have a club, so a combination of factors (agent, squad planning, no Aaron Martin beside him) have resulted in him looking like he's pissed his career away. 

What mystified me was after beating us in the trust trophy final the club allowed the team to basically get rat arsed after the game , I remember when Rovers won it last year Mcglynn didn’t let the team go out and celebrate as we had a big derby game at Dunfermline in midweek which was up there with one of the worst performances we had all season , Hamilton were deep in relegation trouble and to me the lack of professionalism shown within a club who have more to lose getting relegated just my opinion , Best of luck guys for next season 

Wouldn't surprise me if Accies are on a similar journey to Clyde back in 2009. The main thing has to be getting McGowan gone and out of the same stadium/club ownership issue we've suffered since 2005. It's ridiculous that he's allowed to carry on the way he is with absolutely no scrutiny from the media over his antics. The non official socials for Accies do more to promote the club - the Facebook page post featuring the video making up claims about the club appeared to be littered with accounts who "weren't Accies fans but felt the need to condemn what he had been subject too". 

He'll keep ruining while nobody in the media bothers to even question it.

19 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Accies are on a similar journey to Clyde back in 2009. The main thing has to be getting McGowan gone and out of the same stadium/club ownership issue we've suffered since 2005. It's ridiculous that he's allowed to carry on the way he is with absolutely no scrutiny from the media over his antics. The non official socials for Accies do more to promote the club - the Facebook page post featuring the video making up claims about the club appeared to be littered with accounts who "weren't Accies fans but felt the need to condemn what he had been subject too". 

He'll keep ruining while nobody in the media bothers to even question it.

If we were a "bigger" club there might be a chance of media scrutiny, but there are very few clicks to be had from anything involving Accies that taking time and money to investigate things just won't be top of the priority list.

Would not surprise me in the slightest if McGowan etc pay to have their articles painting the supporters in bad light whilst promoting themselves as thankless philanthropists.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

One of six who we definitely know are under contract for next season. 

Fulton, J. Smith, Hamilton, L. Smith, Zanatta, Winter

I believe there's another one contracted to bring it up to seven first team players, but I don't know who that one is. 

Easton is the other. I assume McGinn, One, Forsyth etc. all signed atleast 2 year deals when they signed their professional contracts at the start of the season but we shall need to wait and see.

Hoping Zanatta has delusions of grandeur and sees himself above L1 or has a relegation break clause.

I’m sure we’ll get a retained list at some point next week (maybe). Genuinely out of everyone out of contract the only ones I could see being willing to stay in league 1 would be Redfern, Owens, maybe Mimnaugh and Michael Doyle (if the club would be willing to keep him around).

9 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Hoping Zanatta has delusions of grandeur and sees himself above L1 or has a relegation break clause.

Zanatta certainly has delusions of grandeur,  he thinks he 10x the player he is.  If he's under contract tho you may find him difficult to get rid.  He'll go round everyone thinking they'll fall head over heals for him only to look around and see no offers in the championship,  at that point when reality hits the only has the option to stick around. 

Edited by parsforlife