Montrose vs Airdrieonians 23-12-2022

A venue that the visiting side always seem to struggle to get a win at.

One thing this fixture does guarantee is goals. In the last 5 games between the two sides there has been a whopping 26 goals between them. Home side go into this having not won in their previous 5 games in all competition, whereas Airdrie have had only one defeat in the last 5 which was an extra time defeat to Dundee.

With only 3 points separating the teams a win would be massive for either side battling it out for the play offs and for Montrose it would create a 6 point gap. Not much separating the teams on Skybet with the home side slight favourites at 7/5 and Airdrie 8/5.

For the line up I'd expect McCabe to go along the lines of this; 

Lyness

Ballantyne  Watson  Fordyce   E Deveney

McCabe

Telfer      Frizzell

LJ             Gal          Smith

Personally I'd start ATS over Fordyce as I don't think he's been fully at the races this season, and potentially Justin over Telfer for a bit more energy in midfield. Due to LJ phenomal scoring record against Montrose I would start him over McGill. Unless anything changes in the match preview, I think it will be too soon for Josh Rae to come in.

Prediction - Montrose 2-2 Airdrie

Predicting a high scoring 2-2 draw to keep in line with the fixture that constantly produces goals.

On a side note, fair play to any Airdrie fan who makes the trip tonight, especially with it being a few days before Christmas.

6 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

One thing this fixture does guarantee is goals. In the last 5 games between the two sides there has been a whopping 26 goals between them. Home side go into this having not won in their previous 5 games in all competition, whereas Airdrie have had only one defeat in the last 5 which was an extra time defeat to Dundee.

With only 3 points separating the teams a win would be massive for either side battling it out for the play offs and for Montrose it would create a 6 point gap. Not much separating the teams on Skybet with the home side slight favourites at 7/5 and Airdrie 8/5.

Lyness

McCabe

Telfer      Frizzell

Personally I'd start ATS over Fordyce as I don't think he's been fully at the races this season, and potentially Justin over Telfer for a bit more energy in midfield. Due to LJ phenomal scoring record against Montrose I would start him over McGill. Unless anything changes in the match preview, I think it will be too soon for Josh Rae to come in.

Predicting a high scoring 2-2 draw to keep in line with the fixture that constantly produces goals.

On a side note, fair play to any Airdrie fan who makes the trip tonight, especially with it being a few days before Christmas.

Fair points made and I can't remember my prediction but the seniors are set to travel for our pre Xmas fish supper, tickets aloft. Cheers 

Friday night under the lights...Superb!

Tricky game though as in my opinion Airdrie have been the best team I've seen us face and are very good going forward as we seen last time around.Saying that if we can supply Rory Mac with the good we can take something from this game.

Montrose 3 v Airdrie 2....😛

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Lyness

McCabe

Telfer      Frizzell

Probably spot on with selection with the only concern being Frizz's fitness as he's unlikely to last the 90mins. Do we give him a good hour from the start or bring him on the last 30 mins or so?

I noticed that Montrose's bench last Saturday which included Ballantyne, Gardyne, Milne & Lyons, that's pretty strong at this level and something we currently don't have.

27 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Probably spot on with selection with the only concern being Frizz's fitness as he's unlikely to last the 90mins. Do we give him a good hour from the start or bring him on the last 30 mins or so?

I noticed that Montrose's bench last Saturday which included Ballantyne, Gardyne, Milne & Lyons, that's pretty strong at this level and something we currently don't have.

Frizzell is too important a player for me to have on the bench. If he's fit and available he 100% should start.

20 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Frizzell is too important a player for me to have on the bench. If he's fit and available he 100% should start.

It’s been three weeks since the Falkirk game so hopefully that’s allowed him to get back to full fitness, although obviously match sharpness is a different issue. Even in his short time on the pitch at Falkirk, the goal comes from him pressing high and nicking the ball back.  Hopefully having 10 days until the Edinburgh game will mean we can keep him on for the full 90, assuming there’s no injury concerns. 

I think McCabe will go with the same team mentioned in your opening post. I’d also consider ATS but his lack of pace might be exposed against Craig Johnston, who seems to be frighteningly good against us recently. I’ve also predicted a desmond, for a while I always thought of these games as a tight 1-0 win for Montrose but there’s been a ridiculous number of goals in the games this year.

40 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It’s been three weeks since the Falkirk game so hopefully that’s allowed him to get back to full fitness, although obviously match sharpness is a different issue. Even in his short time on the pitch at Falkirk, the goal comes from him pressing high and nicking the ball back.  Hopefully having 10 days until the Edinburgh game will mean we can keep him on for the full 90, assuming there’s no injury concerns. 

I think McCabe will go with the same team mentioned in your opening post. I’d also consider ATS but his lack of pace might be exposed against Craig Johnston, who seems to be frighteningly good against us recently. I’ve also predicted a desmond, for a while I always thought of these games as a tight 1-0 win for Montrose but there’s been a ridiculous number of goals in the games this year.

Not to mention his super block from McGinn too. I think ATS done really well against Falkirk against Burrell who had a bit of pace about him too. I think regardless if it was ATS or Fordyce if Craig Johnston is on it he'll cause problems.

No doubt McCabe will be reading P&B and will select Dean McMaster out of spite 😄

Thought we've played pretty well and played some nice stuff. The goal is so unbelievably soft to lose, feel like a broken down record saying it. How can you let the ball drop and bounce on the 6 yard box without the keeper or defence going for it. Getting the fear for the second half shooting against the wind.

Piss poor from Montrose tonight Airdrie by far the better team.No fight about the team at all but hey ho we move on.

Paul Watson challenge near the end was never a straight red either,ref couldn't wait to pull that red out.Didnt like the way Airdrie boy was down on the ground then suddenly he was fine and smiling....Poor show! But like I said before Airdrie miles better than us tonight.