2023 Euro stage game March squad and line up

Craigieboy86

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Kenny McLean has been excellent for Norwich this season so far.

I've always found it a bit unfair how he's been viewed by Scotland fans. He was an excellent Scottish Premiership midfielder, seems to do consistently well in the Championship and has largely been pretty good for Scotland. Clarke clearly trusts him a lot and I get the impression that he's a senior figure in the squad. 

It's going to be an interesting squad announcement this time. Does Clarke stick with the tried and tested even though we have a lot of players struggling with injuries/form/game time or does he need to freshen things up with players playing more regular/in form. Hayden hackney, off the top of my head. Does Doak have an outside chance? Confidence must be sky high. Bags of pace. Would have no problem with him being involved against Cyprus at the very least.

3 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

It's going to be an interesting squad announcement this time. Does Clarke stick with the tried and tested even though we have a lot of players struggling with injuries/form/game time or does he need to freshen things up with players playing more regular/in form. Hayden hackney, off the top of my head. Does Doak have an outside chance? Confidence must be sky high. Bags of pace. Would have no problem with him being involved against Cyprus at the very least.

Not sure it will be that interesting just looking through the players available and squad selection histories. For just a two game window I think we'll go with 24 or at the most 25 players with most of the slots taken by guys who have been part of previous set ups.

image.png.a38c19972468de4bacac9b2f64a78c8c.png

We have seen injured players be called up previously (Jack, Armstrong and Dykes) and players not playing much football (Gilmour, Patterson). The only players I'd totally rule out are Stewart, Gordon and Ramsay who have confirmed long term injuries.

I still think Gilmour will probably be selected but I don't think we definitely need him in the squad.

Edited by 2426255

Absolutely, I don't see much change at all and I don't think Clarke is the kind of manager that would make radical changes, preferring small changes instead.

When will the squad be announced, does anyone know?? The big thing for me is, will Gunn make a u-turn and accept a call up to be our Number 1 for years to come?? Has Clarke asked him, or will Zander Clark and Liam Kelly fight it out until the death and have a real baptism of fire by facing Spain in only their 2nd cap?

30 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

When will the squad be announced, does anyone know?

Would I be right in thinking it's usually about 9 days before the first game? If so then next week I'd think

Edited by LiviLion

19 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

When will the squad be announced, does anyone know??

Tuesday is usually a good bet

Hot on the heels of that comes Saturday’s eagerly awaited Scottish Cup quarter final clash between the sides back in Edinburgh. Neilson reckons the double header is the ideal stage for his skipper to showcase the talent with Steve Clarke putting the final touches to his squad which is set to be announced next Tuesday.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/lawrence-shankland-urged-shoot-celtic-29386547#

Recent squad announcements have tended to land on a Tuesday

image.png.752a2c965d13da158a375b0c933b6d7e.png

Edited by 2426255

What would everyone's line up be for the Cyprus game if they were in charge? I'd go..

Clarke

Hickey, Mckenna,Porteous,Robertson

Mcgergor,Mctominay

Doak Mcginn cristie

Adams.

Obviously the next game against Spain would probably call for a more compact formation and a  more experienced 11.

1 hour ago, Elgin Macca said:

What would everyone's line up be for the Cyprus game if they were in charge? I'd go..

Clarke

Mcgergor,Mctominay

Doak Mcginn cristie

Adams.

Obviously the next game against Spain would probably call for a more compact formation and a  more experienced 11.

Armstrong for Doak and Hanley for McKenna (who's probably injured) and that's what I'd go with. I like Jack and wouldn't mind seeing up alongside McGregor, but McTominay gives us a final third runner in lieu of Patterson or Ralston. 

I've been wondering if, providing it's a 4-2-3-1, Clarke might have McGinn on the right and Ferguson behind the striker as they're both playing every week in similar roles, but I have my doubts if that would actually work. 

35 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Armstrong for Doak and Hanley for McKenna (who's probably injured) and that's what I'd go with. I like Jack and wouldn't mind seeing up alongside McGregor, but McTominay gives us a final third runner in lieu of Patterson or Ralston. 

I've been wondering if, providing it's a 4-2-3-1, Clarke might have McGinn on the right and Ferguson behind the striker as they're both playing every week in similar roles, but I have my doubts if that would actually work. 

I had forgotten about Mckennas injury picked up recently  so yea i agree, Hanley in instead.

Ferguson must be in the thoughts of Clarke just now. seems to be on a good run of games/form in Italy

3 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

Clarke

Mcgergor,Mctominay

Doak Mcginn cristie

Adams.

Doak should be nowhere near a starting 11 yet. I wouldn't be against being in the squad though. 

Jack Hendry was our best player across the last triple header and should be in the team.

I wonder if there’s an outside chance of him playing Robo and Tierney both down the left in a 4231 against Cyprus? He tried it towards the end of the game against Turkey. 

30 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Jack Hendry was our best player across the last triple header and should be in the team.

I'd 100% have Hendry in if he's available, but we don't know for sure if he will be. 

30 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

I wonder if there’s an outside chance of him playing Robo and Tierney both down the left in a 4231 against Cyprus? He tried it towards the end of the game against Turkey. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this. I'd probably prefer a more natural forward there but I think there's a chance Clarke goes with that. 

i think possible uncapped replace Gordon and few who not play own team 

I think possible Scotland Squad face Cyprus and Spain

Keeper

Kelly

Clark

Gunn (Norwich City)/McCrorie (Rangers)

Defender

Hanley (Norwich City)

Porteous (Watford)

Rose (Coventry)/Hyam (Blackburn Rover)/Wallace(Milwall)

McIntyre (Reading)

Lindsay (Preston North End)

Kingley (Hearts)

Midfielder

Kelly (Livingston)

McGinn (Aston Villa)

McGregor (Celtic)

Gilmour (Brighton)

Campbell (Hibs)

Armstrong (Southampton)

Christie (Bournemouth)

Striker

Hardie

Adam Southampton)

Brown (Stokes)

Nisbet (Hibs)

Shankland (Hearts)

10 hours ago, Craigieboy86 said:

i think possible uncapped replace Gordon and few who not play own team 

I think possible Scotland Squad face Cyprus and Spain

Keeper

Kelly

Clark

Gunn (Norwich City)/McCrorie (Rangers)

Defender

Hanley (Norwich City)

Porteous (Watford)

Rose (Coventry)/Hyam (Blackburn Rover)/Wallace(Milwall)

McIntyre (Reading)

Lindsay (Preston North End)

Kingley (Hearts)

Midfielder

Kelly (Livingston)

McGinn (Aston Villa)

McGregor (Celtic)

Gilmour (Brighton)

Campbell (Hibs)

Armstrong (Southampton)

Christie (Bournemouth)

Striker

Hardie

Adam Southampton)

Brown (Stokes)

Nisbet (Hibs)

Shankland (Hearts)

Lewis Ferguson has to be in the squad given he is playing every week for Bologna.

Lyndon Dykes Injury Update

Lyndon is well on track to be back so we’re really pleased with the progress Lyndon’s made and you can read into that what you want. Really happy with Lyndon. It’s not a muscle injury and we’ve made sure that extensive test have been done on Lyndon so the little issue that he had is no longer going to be an issue and he can play and he’s got the all clear to go. Lyndon is very very close and hopefully he is going to play a huge part in the run in.

He’s an Australian-Scotsman so yeah that’s a combination that you need to hold back sometimes he’s well up for the scrap and I’m sure Lyndon would play through anything for us. It’s just about making sure that it’s clinically correct for him to play because I think Lyndon would run out on Saturday if he was allowed to start the game. I’m not saying he won’t be involved, he’s a diamond – his attitude’s spot on, he really wants to get going and turn fortunes around for his club.

Some of your bigger players like Lyndon won't need reserve matches because he's not had a muscle injury, that's just a clinical one.

Gareth Ainsworth, QPR Manager

https://youtu.be/W8HkYfpgMU4?t=309

Edited by 2426255