2023 Euro stage game March squad and line up

Craigieboy86

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

Those were in the back three days when McTominay and Tierney were effectively CBs. Now that we play a back four I think we need another proper CB 

You're thinking 2 for every position? I'm not too sure that's how the squad is chosen but I can see where you're coming from. 

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

You're thinking 2 for every position? I'm not too sure that's how the squad is chosen but I can see where you're coming from. 

My thoughts are that two CB injuries in training are not totally outwith the range of possibilities (Look at Nottingham Forest a couple of weeks ago who lost both McKenna and Boly to hamstrings in the same minute of a PL game). Suppose you only take three natural CBs plus Tierney and McTominay, then if you get those two injuries your choice is either playing a back three with those two in there and no backups at all, or playing a back four with probably Tierney at CB which isn’t something we’ve traditionally done.

It’s clear that Hendry, Hanley and Porteous are the key CBs for March but I don’t see the downside to bringing along one of Wallace/Hyam/Considine as emergency cover unless Cooper is fit as suggested. 

23 hours ago, Donathan said:

My thoughts are that two CB injuries in training are not totally outwith the range of possibilities (Look at Nottingham Forest a couple of weeks ago who lost both McKenna and Boly to hamstrings in the same minute of a PL game). Suppose you only take three natural CBs plus Tierney and McTominay, then if you get those two injuries your choice is either playing a back three with those two in there and no backups at all, or playing a back four with probably Tierney at CB which isn’t something we’ve traditionally done.

It’s clear that Hendry, Hanley and Porteous are the key CBs for March but I don’t see the downside to bringing along one of Wallace/Hyam/Considine as emergency cover unless Cooper is fit as suggested. 

I totally understand that point of view and if I were selecting the team I'd maybe also do it that way. All I was saying is that's not how Steve Clarke seems to manage his squad. From what I've seen - He routinely runs with a squad that seems too light to us fans and is respectful of players time-off not calling up players that aren't likely to play.

With two home based games I think he will name the players that are a primary part of plans and possibly have a couple waiting in the wings should an emergency situation arise such as an injury to a centre back. In any case, I'm not looking to drag on the debate so you can have last word and then probably agree to disagree.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I totally understand that point of view and if I were selecting the team I'd maybe also do it that way. All I was saying is that's not how Steve Clarke seems to manage his squad. From what I've seen - He routinely runs with a squad that seems too light to us fans and is respectful of players time-off not calling up players that aren't likely to play.

With two home based games I think he will name the players that are a primary part of plans and possibly have a couple waiting in the wings should an emergency situation arise such as an injury to a centre back. In any case, I'm not looking to drag on the debate so you can have last word and then probably agree to disagree.

I hadn’t thought of that point before and I think you’re right.

As long as one or two emergency CBs are on standby then it might just be the three. 

He (Jack Hendry) still has a quadriceps injury. We actually expected that injury to be worse, but it is not too bad. However, this weekend comes too soon.

Scott Parker

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nieuws/2023-03-02/parker-heeft-nieuws-over-hendry-en-skov-olsen-en-schept-duidelijkheid-over-onyedika

Everybody’s fine, so there are no new injuries if you like. John Souttar will return to the squad, Yilmaz probably needs to play a reserve game with a view to coming back in either mid-week or coming back in for the Raith Rovers Scottish Cup game.

Michael Beale

https://www.rangersnews.uk/club-news/john-souttar-set-to-finally-return-to-rangers-squad-v-kilmarnock/

Che Adams is back. He will be in the squad tomorrow

Ruben Selles

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23361671.southampton-team-news-adams-salisu-return-larios-makes-b-team/

So overall some positive news on the injury front.

Patterson got 90 mins for Everton's u21s today. He's played three of their last four games so will probably be back in the senior squad soon, although I doubt he'll go back into the starting XI.

22 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Has anyone seen Hayden Hackney play?

Seems to be a player, and data wise looks to be one of the best midfielders in the championship. You could easily argue to have him replacing McLean. 

English 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Seems to be a player, and data wise looks to be one of the best midfielders in the championship. You could easily argue to have him replacing McLean. 

He's got to be better than McTominay that's for sure. 

50 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He's got to be better than McTominay that's for sure. 

I’m not sure he’s got to be better than someone with nearly 150 appearances for a top six Premiership side tbh. Hopefully he is in the future though…

6 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Kenny McLean has been excellent for Norwich this season so far.

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Kenny McLean has been excellent for Norwich this season so far.

He seems to have been, being why I said you could argue it - but Hackney has been every bit as good, if not better and obviously has a much higher ceiling.