2023 Euro stage game March squad and line up

Craigieboy86

40 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Hendry + Porteous against Cyprus then Hanley to come in for Porteous against Spain? Unless I'm missing anyone?

Is Hanley suspended or does he have a very specific injury which means he will miraculously recover between the 25th and 28th March?

It’ll need to be two from those three unless we go back to a back three with McTominay and Tierney flanking a lone natural CB.

Cooper, McKenna, Halkett and Souttar all being injured isn’t ideal. Declan Gallagher in the squad again?

12 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Is Hanley suspended or does he have a very specific injury which means he will miraculously recover between the 25th and 28th March?

It’ll need to be two from those three unless we go back to a back three with McTominay and Tierney flanking a lone natural CB.

Cooper, McKenna, Halkett and Souttar all being injured isn’t ideal. Declan Gallagher in the squad again?

Just think we'll need Porteous' progressive passing in a game where we're more likely to dominate the ball (Hanley's pretty useless in that respect) but Hanley's better suited to us almost certainly being pinned back against Spain. There's a chance he only goes with 3 CBs in the squad if he doesn't fancy any of the others. 

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Just think we'll need Porteous' progressive passing in a game where we're more likely to dominate the ball (Hanley's pretty useless in that respect) but Hanley's better suited to us almost certainly being pinned back against Spain. There's a chance he only goes with 3 CBs in the squad if he doesn't fancy any of the others. 

Have we ever seen only 3 CBs in a squad? All it takes is a Nottingham Forest situation last week (Both CBs pulled a hammy in the same minute) and you’re in big trouble.

I would expect Gallagher or someone else to be drafted in as an emergency option. 

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

Have we ever seen only 3 CBs in a squad? All it takes is a Nottingham Forest situation last week (Both CBs pulled a hammy in the same minute) and you’re in big trouble.

I would expect Gallagher or someone else to be drafted in as an emergency option. 

I'm 99% sure he named a squad with 3 CBs early on in his tenure. Maybe one or two were added. I think he named 3 back in 2020, too, but we just didn't know that McTominay and Tierney counted. 

9 hours ago, Donathan said:

Have we ever seen only 3 CBs in a squad?

6 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I'm 99% sure he named a squad with 3 CBs early on in his tenure. Maybe one or two were added. I think he named 3 back in 2020, too, but we just didn't know that McTominay and Tierney counted. 

EgQ4wFVWoAQ6myr.jpeg.thumb.jpg.95a940b50780c0a4706c5936106896fc.jpg

I've always been a fan of the way Clarke is loyal to this group of players and tried to get a club feel going but I do feel the squad needs a bit of a freshen up this campaign. The goalkeeping department is well documented but I really like the look of Hackney at Middlesbrough and Anderson at Newcastle. Also if Doak had kept going the way he was going but an unfortunate injury coinciding with Liverpool getting players back will probably put an end to his run in the first team squad for a while.

Lyndon Dykes is back in training at QPR but our Scotland games might still be too soon. 

Lyndon was back in the building, back at the training ground for the first time. That gave everyone a lift. It was great to see him. He’s doing really low levels of work at the moment and taking it day by day, but just to see him back at the training ground, back on his feet and doing a bit of low-level physical exercise, was a lift for everyone.

He has lost a bit (weight) and I’d say (regaining it) will be a process. It’s about increasing his load every day and part of that will be his nutrition and making sure he gets back to his ‘fighting weight’.

Neil Critchley

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-boss-wouldnt-rule-out-dykes-returning-this-season

I also saw that Hibernian only have two matches before Steve Clarke will likely name his squad so it will be helpful if Kevin Nisbet gets good time in both of those games (Livingston, Rangers) if he is hoping to make the final selection.

15 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Lyndon Dykes is back in training at QPR but our Scotland games might still be too soon. 

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-boss-wouldnt-rule-out-dykes-returning-this-season

I also saw that Hibernian only have two matches before Steve Clarke will likely name his squad so it will be helpful if Kevin Nisbet gets good time in both of those games (Livingston, Rangers) if he is hoping to make the final selection.

Nisbet will be fit, he’s been back in training since last week and I think he could have played against Killie but they decided not to risk him.

All but guaranteed to start both games you mention with McGeady out injured.

My current squad prediction:

Goalkeepers: Zander Clark, Liam Kelly, Robby McCrorie

Defenders: Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Aaron Hickey, Nathan Patterson, Jack Hendry, Grant Hanley, Ryan Porteous, Murray Wallace, Josh Doig

Midfielders: Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Jack, Kenny McLean, John McGinn, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Christie, Lewis Ferguson

Forwards: Che Adams, Lawrence Shankland, Kevin Nisbet, Jacob Brown

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

My current squad prediction:

Goalkeepers: Zander Clark, Liam Kelly, Robby McCrorie

Defenders: Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Aaron Hickey, Nathan Patterson, Jack Hendry, Grant Hanley, Ryan Porteous, Murray Wallace, Josh Doig

Midfielders: Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Jack, Kenny McLean, John McGinn, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Christie, Lewis Ferguson

Forwards: Che Adams, Lawrence Shankland, Kevin Nisbet, Jacob Brown

Pretty much agree with that but unless he is injured I cannot see Greg Taylor not being in the squad (he actually impresses me) so perhaps in the place of Wallace.  Not convinced McLean will be selected so we might see Elliot Anderson in his place

Is Paterson expected to be fit?

Goalkeeping coaches throughout Scotland should hang their heads in shame.......what have they been doing the past 15 or so years

Edited by Caledonian1

5 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Pretty much agree with that but unless he is injured I cannot see Greg Taylor not being in the squad (he actually impresses me) so perhaps in the place of Wallace.  Not convinced McLean will be selected so we might see Elliot Anderson in his place

Is Paterson expected to be fit?

Goalkeeping coaches throughout Scotland should hang their heads in shame.......what have they been doing the past 15 or so years

I can’t see him taking six full backs and only three centre halves so it’s either Taylor or Doig for me rather than both. McKenna, Souttar, Cooper, Halkett and Gallagher are all out so Wallace is an emergency CB cover. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I can’t see him taking six full backs and only three centre halves so it’s either Taylor or Doig for me rather than both. McKenna, Souttar, Cooper, Halkett and Gallagher are all out so Wallace is an emergency CB cover. 

Souttar might be able to come along as a fan liason 

6 hours ago, Donathan said:

I can’t see him taking six full backs and only three centre halves so it’s either Taylor or Doig for me rather than both. 

I don't see any good reason why you have formed that view. In our double header against Poland & Austria Steve Clarke did exactly that assuming you don't categorize McTominay and Tierney as centre-backs.

6 hours ago, Donathan said:

McKenna, Souttar, Cooper, Halkett and Gallagher are all out so Wallace is an emergency CB cover. 

Liam Cooper isn't far off a return from injury and was on the bench last week for Leeds United so I wouldn't be so quick to discount him being included especially as Leeds United still have 4 games to play between now and the Scotland squad announcement.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I don't see any good reason why you have formed that view. In our double header against Poland & Austria Steve Clarke did exactly that assuming you don't categorize McTominay and Tierney as centre-backs.

Those were in the back three days when McTominay and Tierney were effectively CBs. Now that we play a back four I think we need another proper CB 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Those were in the back three days when McTominay and Tierney were effectively CBs. Now that we play a back four I think we need another proper CB 

We'll be a back 5 for Spain.