2023 Euro stage game March squad and line up

Craigieboy86

24 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

If he isn't getting back in now, I don't think he ever is. I guess there might be other reasons we don't know about.

Whether you think he's a player that can play International football or not is subjective, however what is not up for debate is the fact that he was involved in a high profile case of criticism of the Scotland setup under Steve Clarke.....whether in jest or not....and he has also been involved in high profile misdemeanors with his behaviour away from football, questioning his attitude in general and Clarke has decided he does not want him in the squad, probably because of this, weighed in with the fact that he feels that he already has more suitable players that can play his position, with better attitudes currently. 

Glad to see Dom Hyam is the squad,should really been capped when he was at Coventry when they had ine off the best defense records in Britain at the time

I hope that he does well and we have another option going forward at center back who we can bring in

Hopefully we bear Cyprus and get off to a good start mon the Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

He was also doing really well in the Championship before, and yet was abysmal for Scotland. 16 caps, and we scored one goal while he was on the pitch. I'm not totally against him coming back at some point, but he's no big miss.

Looking at the group, Norway have been to four major tournaments (three of which came between 1994-2000 after a 56 year gap from their first jaunt all the way back in 1938). IIRC, on our dry spell from 1998-2021, we had the longest streak of not qualifying out of any European country who had ever qualified for a tournament before. Does that mean Norway have replaced us now? Let's hope their streak continues.

6 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Glad to see Dom Hyam is the squad,should really been capped when he was at Coventry when they had ine off the best defense records in Britain at the time

I hope that he does well and we have another option going forward at center back who we can bring in

Hopefully we bear Cyprus and get off to a good start mon the Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

General, Any word on Elliot Philadelphia? Could have easily been him called up instead of Hyam.

1 hour ago, NickMcG said:

What would he have to do to be worth of another call up?  We're a much better side than we were when he was at Swansea (his last good season before this one). It's not like our other strikers are exceptional. I can understand Dykes being called up as he's done well for us but Jacob Brown? I'd take McBurnie even if they're different players.

In order to be worth another call up I guess he'd have to wait for Jacob Brown to go 16 caps worth of games and have Scotland score just 1 goal whilst he's on the pitch and then have Brown be overheard slate Scotland and then play a friendly for his club side 2 days after pulling out of a Scotland squad injured.

Even then he'd probably need to wait for Ross Stewart, Lawrence Shankland and Kevin Nisbet all doing similar before he was worth considering again.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

23 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

In order to be worth another call up I guess he'd have to wait for Jacob Brown to go 16 caps worth of games and have Scotland score just 1 goal whilst he's on the pitch and then have Brown be overheard slate Scotland and then play a friendly for his club side 2 days after pulling out of a Scotland squad injured.

Even then he'd probably need to wait for Ross Stewart, Lawrence Shankland and Kevin Nisbet all doing similar before he was worth considering again.

I watched him destroy Burnley this year who are absolutely dismantling the championship and was playing with a hernia injury 

If he comes back in that kind off form he won't be to far away from another call up

All depends were he ends up off coarse does he stay at Sheffield Utd or does he go were best deal is?

Could get the same kind off money were Gauld plays in the MLS but would probably never get in the squad again 

4 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

I watched him destroy Burnley this year who are absolutely dismantling the championship and was playing with a hernia injury 

If he comes back in that kind off form he won't be to far away from another call up

All depends were he ends up off coarse does he stay at Sheffield Utd or does he go were best deal is?

Could get the same kind off money were Gauld plays in the MLS but would probably never get in the squad again 

You sure that wasn't Olivia McBurnie?

7 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

yes, I struggle to see Clarke's fascination with Brown. I don't watch the Championship so maybe missing some startling weekly form but whenever he has been involved for Scotland, I can't recall anything of note he has contributed. Maybe am being too harsh but him and McBurnie very much in the Martin category for me (ie a perplexing love-in by the (then) manager.  

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

yes, I struggle to see Clarke's fascination with Brown. I don't watch the Championship so maybe missing some startling weekly form but whenever he has been involved for Scotland, I can't recall anything of note he has contributed. Maybe am being too harsh but him and McBurnie very much in the Martin category for me (ie a perplexing love-in by the (then) manager.  

I've noticed some negativity or at least apathy towards Jacob Brown since he's been called up in November '21. Brown hasn't played much for Scotland - playing a total of 66 minutes for Scotland - for anyone to really know what he is capable of in a Scotland shirt, maybe that's the frustration that he hasn't been able to force his way in? I think he's fine personally - he always plays for Stoke City which has to count for something and at 24 he still is has time enough to get better.

I'd put him in a similar boat to Lewis Ferguson who also hasn't played much for Scotland but is doing well at his club and is a similar age or even bracket him with the likes of Robbie McCrorie, David Turnbull and Ryan Porteous who are all at a similar stages in their careers trying to push on to a higher level.

Edited by 2426255

On 23/03/2023 at 06:34, KingRocketman II said:

On 22/03/2023 at 21:32, NickMcG said:

What would he have to do to be worth of another call up?  We're a much better side than we were when he was at Swansea (his last good season before this one). It's not like our other strikers are exceptional. I can understand Dykes being called up as he's done well for us but Jacob Brown? I'd take McBurnie even if they're different players.

On 22/03/2023 at 23:25, Pie Of The Month said:

All of the above. Other than the fact that he plays in the Chumpionship I struggle to see the value Brown brings over a Shankland or a Nisbet 

10 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Che Adams will be a big miss on Wednesday. I prefer Dykes in games where we’ve got more of the ball. 

Interesting... Is that because we then have a tendency to hump it up the park instead?

Anyway, based on his club manager's decisions in recent matches, Shankland is cover for Ralston 😀

14 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Interesting... Is that because we then have a tendency to hump it up the park instead?

Anyway, based on his club manager's decisions in recent matches, Shankland is cover for Ralston 😀

Adams is great in games where we don’t have much possession because he tracks back and uses his pace on the counter attack. He was magnificent in the win over Denmark in particular with a great solo goal on the counter attack.

Dykes better in games when we do have a lot of possession because you want him getting on the end of crosses and set pieces.