2023 Euro stage game March squad and line up

Craigieboy86

Just now, craigkillie said:

Dykes scored in four consecutive qualifiers, three of them winners, and has 8 in 26 for Scotland overall. He's very obviously not as good as Adams as a player, but he's more likely to score goals.

Just to put his goalscoring figure into context, the only Scotland players this century who have more are Miller, McFadden, McGinn, (Steven) Fletcher and Naismith, and he'll likely overtake the latter two in fewer caps.

We also have better players generally than the teams all those players played in. I dont think he's more likely to score than Adams. And when you look at their Scotland careers once their finished. That would be proven to be the case.

I dont have a problem with dykes, as I said he's a hardworking guy. If you think that technically he's  good international player, then I would say your judgement is off. Which has been the case in the majority of your recent opinions.

Ferguson's definitely an attacking midfield option but his role at Bologna is quite strange. He's a decent target for long balls but mostly tends to move the ball simply and drift out wide a lot until it's time to offer a threat in the box. 

It's incredibly unflashy but he's not really looked out of place to me except the couple of times he was the furthest forward player as pointed out by @Fuctifano, and he's clearly doing something right as he's starting every game.

20 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Hayden Hackney is another name doing the rounds, have many people in Scotland actually been watching him recently?

Watch him every week and he’s an excellent player, and I wouldn’t be against capping him to get him tied down, but shouldn’t be ahead of any of our other holding midfielders at the moment. He’s only been playing competitive football for a few months, even if he has been very good. 

I’m watching the Southampton v Brentford game atm. Hickey playing RB for Brentford and has looked lively in the first 20 mins.

Have to think he starts for us in this double header. There’s not much between him and Patterson as players so I think we just go with the form player at RB/RWB and with Patterson just off the treatment table, it’s Hickey for now. 

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Watch him every week and he’s an excellent player, and I wouldn’t be against capping him to get him tied down, but shouldn’t be ahead of any of our other holding midfielders at the moment. He’s only been playing competitive football for a few months, even if he has been very good. 

Fair play, glad to hear he’s doing well. I don’t think there’s space for him in the squad just now given the strength of our midfield but definitely one for the future from the sound of things

11 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I watched him for Boro for the first time on Tuesday and thought he had a really positive first half but nothing came off for him in the second, albeit Stoke tightened up their shape which made it difficult to play through.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I watched him for Boro for the first time on Tuesday and thought he had a really positive first half but nothing came off for him in the second, albeit Stoke tightened up their shape which made it difficult to play through.

Probably had his worst game for us on Tuesday, along with most of the team, but was still trying to get at them which was good, didn’t go into his shell at all when it wasn’t coming off.

Cyprus were your first opponents right when you first came in way back then in 2019. So much has obviously happened since then but I wonder how you feel you've evolved as a manager and how your team and your squad's evolved in that period.

It would be quite good if you put the squad from that match down now and looked at how we've evolved over the years.

Steve Clarke

Screenshot2023-03-16103510.thumb.png.604442f56c53b7c05c623f072bbac0f8.png

The players highlighted in blue have been used by Steve Clarke in the last 12 months. The players in purple have been brought in deliberately by Steve Clarke.

Mental to look at how far we’ve come from that squad 

Not only have we added in Patterson, Hickey, Hendry, Gilmour, Dykes, Adams and Christie, but a number of the players in that squad have improved their game and become key players for us. 

Is Mark McNulty the low point of the national team? 

Obviously been plenty of diddies the years, and there are probably worse players who’ve been capped… but he was a journeyman in the English lower leagues who was in a tiny purple patch (four in four or something equally mundane) in the Scottish Premiership, so in he went. If he’d scored the same goals for whatever diddy English team had loaned him to Hibs nobody would’ve batted an eyelid. 

He's definitely the worst striker to play for us in recent memory. Clarke didn't actually cap him, I hadn't even realised he was in that squad. Obviously Brophy started that game against Cyprus and was fairly out of his depth, but he at least had around 18 months or so of very good performances under Clarke under his belt by that point, and was therefore trusted by the manager.

McNulty and Brophy (and Chris Martin) is why I’ve never understood some of the anti-Dykes stuff on here. We don’t have a Mitrovic or a Haaland or a Schick but until one emerges, Che Adams and Lyndon Dykes are the best we’ve got and the best we’ve had in a while. Adams is great at holding up the ball and distributing to runners whilst Dykes is the more prolific forward of the two. They’re a lot better than what we’ve had in the past.

The only player that I think could challenge them for a spot in the XI is Ross Stewart but his injury record is preventing that. 

Not sure why any feathers are ruffled by the absence of Greg Taylor. He might be a very good player but he's arguably our 5th best left back after Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, and Doig. Appreciate these players could be played in other positions, but still.

The talent we have isn't balanced evenly across the pitch. Christ, we could swap out three left backs for equivalent quality players in goal, centre half and centre forward and probably improve quite significantly.

Cyprus have named a 25-man squad for their qualifier against us and their frinedly with Armenia.

• Anórthosis:        
    • Dimítris Christofí, Kostákis Artymatás, Mários Antoniádis, Minás Antoníou, Michális Ioánnou
  • APOEL:               
    • Andréas Karó, Giórgos Efraím
  • Apóllon Limassol:              
    • Andréas Panagiótou, Valentín Roberge, Dimítris Dimitríou, Ioánnis Píttas, Ntanílo Spóliarits, Charálampos Kyriákou
  • Karmiótissa:        
    • Alexánter Spóliarits
  • Omónia Nicosia:             
    • Andrónikós Kakoullí, Ioánnis Koúsoulos, Konstantínos Panagí, Loïzos Loïzou, Nikólas Panagiótou, Charálampos Charalámpous
  • Como:         
    • Nikólas Ioánnou
  • Kansas City:        
    • Marínos Tzionís
  • St Mirren:              
    • Alex Gogic
  • Standard Liege:     
    • Konstantínos Laïfis
  • Salernitana:  
    • Grigóris Kástanos

Spain under their new manager are properly ripping it up and starting again. Only 10 of the 26 that went to the World Cup are in this squad (copied this from twitter so take no responsbility if it's wrong)

Sanchez (Brighton) , Raya (Brentford), Balde (Barcelona), Laporte (Man City), Carvajal (Real Madrid), Rodri (Man City) , Gavi (Barcelona), Pedri (Barcelona), Morata (Atletico Madrid), Olmo (RB Leipzig)