St Mirren v Aberdeen 24/12/22 1230 ko

2 hours ago, Lex said:

Can’t say I’ve seen a great deal of Aberdeen this season, but interested in the negativity among their fans. I see they’re third and in the semi final of the cup. Is this a bad start? What would a good start have looked like?

I’m glad we’re in third and it’s a big improvement to be there but 25 points from 17 games is not hugely impressive. Teams finishing third in recent years have usually hit 65+ points and we’re definitely not on course to hit that. There’s a number of teams in touching distance and it would’ve been good to be further ahead of Hearts given their troubles in the first part of the season. The last two results and performances obviously have not helped the feeling amongst the support. I personally think we’re doing alright given what Goodwin inherited.

Finishing third would be massive for us but I’d be content with a European spot and a decent Scottish Cup run.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

St Mirren's home form and Aberdeen's away form is a fair point, but I don't think not having played since November is an advantage for St Mirren.

Aberdeen have played two games in a week, but they hadn't played for ages before that. They should be up to speed more than St Mirren for this one.

The 2nd paragraph - possible.

That’ll be apparent at the back of 2pm 

Reckon we'll show Goodwin how he should have played Celtic. We sit in our own half and press when the opposition cross the half way line. When we get it back it is a calvary charge in numbers up the park. Percentage wise we have relatively little of the ball but often have more shots on target than the opposition.

The Dons have had two games this week however we have played a few closed door games (Blackpool, Hearts, Well and Queens Park) so there should be some match fitness. Prediction is a Home win and the pressure to mount on Jim.

6 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

St Mirren's home form and Aberdeen's away form is a fair point, but I don't think not having played since November is an advantage for St Mirren.

Aberdeen have played two games in a week, but they hadn't played for ages before that. They should be up to speed more than St Mirren for this one.

Bear in mind we've played Blackpool , Kilmarnock and Hearts in the last fortnight , conceding one goal in the process !

7 hours ago, Lex said:

Can’t say I’ve seen a great deal of Aberdeen this season, but interested in the negativity among their fans. I see they’re third and in the semi final of the cup. Is this a bad start? What would a good start have looked like?

Having faced Peterhead, Dumbarton, Stirling Albion, Raith Rovers, Annan Athletic, and Partick Thistle to reach the semi-final then Goodwin isn't overachieving, he's doing what we would expect given the amount he had to spend and the resources available to him in comparison to those teams.

I doubt we'll be third in the league by the end of the year, let alone by the end of the season. However, 4th would secure Europe, so would take that for a first full season in charge.

We've seen worrying signals over the course of the first half of the season, and especially in the last week, that Goodwin isn't capable of staying as Aberdeen manager over the longer term.

I'm always amazed when a manager freeze players out when you should be working with the whole squad available to him. A good manager, in my opinion, should try to keep the squad in a positive frame of mind even with players that he may not see as having a long-term future at the club. You never know when you might need these players, and they should be kept match fit where possible, and with the carrot dangling that there is still a way back if you do the business on the park when the opportunity arises (and the opportunity should arise for all members of the squad).

However, when he came in last season, he was quick to write off players and close the door early on any return to the team. This season he failed to give Lewis any minutes in the League Cup section, Ramirez could and should be utilised whilst we still have him in the squad,  Vinny has disappeared. Even if he isn't happy with them off-field, it's up to the manager to get them back onside, make them feel wanted and give them that possibility of a return to action if the attitude improves (not that there seems anything wrong with the attitude of Joe Lewis). I think there's a lot to be said for squad harmony and everyone fighting for each other.

Then Goodwin, after the Celtic game last week I think, said something along the lines that he didn't care what the supporters think. Even if you think that, to vocalise that thoughts again show a lack of control over his mouth. something he was already guilty at with the Porteous outburst and on a few other occasions.

Then he said something about him being the manager and nobody's viewpoint mattered apart from his own. He needs to be careful because stubborn-ness, hubris and a lack of awareness about your own deficiencies and those of the players you 'like' or 'trust' has led to many a manager's downfall. I don't know the intricacies of their working relationship but Lee Sharp seems more like a dogsbody than a trusted coaching confidante to Goodwin.

After my initial concerns that he wasn't the right man for the job and that he was employed with undue haste, I was guilty of thinking that he sounded good in front of the press and that he had some kind of vision. Fast forward eight months or so and I can't listen to him any longer. He annoys me and sounds increasingly like a clueless work colleague trying to blindside you with presentable patter.

He's having a bit of a tough time over the last week but we'll see over the next few games if he can get the performances and results he needs from his squad.

My gut feeling is that he's done a lot of damage this week with his relationship with the supporters, any lingering goodwill for Goodwin has evaporated, and that's almost impossible to repair. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Mad to think he basically got appointed after an incredibly flattering eight (ish) game unbeaten streak, which followed a long spell of truly abject stuff from us.

I was still gutted when he left, mind, but absolutely zero chance I'd swap Goodwin for Robinson. It's not even close now.

On 22/12/2022 at 08:38, jimmy boo said:

What are the chances of Aberdeen being embarrassingly shit for the 3rd game in a row? Probably unlikely knowing our luck.

What a very odd (& completely wrong) take on The Aberdeen - h*n match.

Aberdeen had a “shit” 2 minutes. 

Better team for large parts of the game. 
I’ll assume you didn’t see it.

If you did, I’d suggest football is not for you. 

2 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

What a very odd (& completely wrong) take on The Aberdeen - h*n match.

Aberdeen had a “shit” 2 minutes. 

Better team for large parts of the game. 
I’ll assume you didn’t see it.

If you did, I’d suggest football is not for you. 

Thanks for the advice I'll hand back my season ticket after tomorrow's game.

Aberdeen have 2 defeats in a row then it's a crisis while if they win two in a row we are the best team ever. 

Hate the negativity at the moment, Rangers game was a sickner but only 1 SPFL team outside Celtic have beat Rangers this season. We should have been the 2nd team to do this.

We are a decent side although need to get defenders to sort out our problems.

Edited by betting competition

38 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Hate the negativity at the moment

Blame the manager, it was he who started the negativity with his tactics against Celtic, and then compounded this with his apparent decision to re-purpose them again after 65 minutes against the Re-writers of History F.C when we were comfortably holding our own.

38 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Rangers game was a sickner but only 1 SPFL team outside Celtic have beat Rangers this season

...that maybe so, but they didn't have their strongest XI playing on Tuesday night, their ageing goalie looks like he's given up on diving for shots, and we went into the final three minutes of the match with a 2-1 lead which we still managed to see overturned when we were playing a team that looked no better than a run-of-the-mill Premiership team.

The last 25 minutes we seemed to be adapting our style because of who they were, not how they were playing that evening.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

After the disappointments of this week I suspect we'll see Aberdeen bounce back. Everyone seems to have forgotten it was the OF we lost to and we came mightily close to securing 4 points. Overall Aberdeen are a good side and the players will be desperate to make amends. Tough game ahead but I wouldn't rule out a Dons win.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

14 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Thanks for the advice I'll hand back my season ticket after tomorrow's game.

I would if I were you. 

If you watched the game & still thought Aberdeen were “embarrassingly shite” in the game, then you’re utterly clueless. 

There’s an IKEA close to you. Maybe spend Saturday afternoons there.