January Arrivals and Departures

On 21/01/2023 at 14:41, Fae_the_'briggs said:

What's the poor lad done to deserve this? 

Made his debut against Edinburgh as a first-half sub when we were 2-0 up and cruising. Gave away the free-kick to make it 2-1 and the penalty equaliser and got sent off in the second-half before we ultimately lost 5-3 😂 punishment fit the crime? I don’t envy him though. That’s a tough shift. 

Edited by airdrieman

I expect us to be done on the transfer front now barring Kai Kennedy possibly leaving. Disappointed to lose Hogarth & Alegria but very happy with the rest of the business we've done this window. 

Outs - Nicky Hogarth (Recalled), Paddy Martin (Bonnyrigg, loan), Blair Sneddon (Berwick, loan), Seb Ross (Forfar), Steven Hetherington (Abroath, loan), Jaime Wilson (Heidelburg United), Juan Alegria (Recalled), Finlay Malcolm (OG Broomhill, loan)

Ins - Brian Kinnear (West Ham, loan), Blaine Rowe (Coventry, loan), Archie Meekison (Dundee United, loan), Matthew Wright (Ross County, loan), Jordan Allan (Clyde)

Edited by FFC 1876

Okay, I know January has past but still business being done. Cammy Logan joins QoS on loan from Hearts until the end of the season. QoS youngsters Ben Johnstone and Jay Burns go out on loan to Gartcairn and Abbey Vale respectively. 

45 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

To confirm, with regards to any future buisness,  will it have to be a domestic loan from a higher tier, or a free agent who's contract was binned before the transfer deadline? 

So for example you wouldn't be able to sign someone from Hartlepool if they became a free agent this week? @Skyline Drifter

Domestic loan from within the SPFL. Doesnt have to be higher tier. Not sure where that idea's coming from? 

Free agent who was a free agent at midnight on 31 January, whether domestic or international. Provided they havent already played for 2 clubs obviously.

If this is about Euan Murray then he'd have to have been released by Tuesday night. Cant get released now and return to Scotland.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Domestic loan from within the SPFL. Doesnt have to be higher tier. Not sure where that idea's coming from? 

Free agent who was a free agent at midnight on 31 January, whether domestic or international. Provided they havent already played for 2 clubs obviously.

If this is about Euan Murray then he'd have to have been released by Tuesday night. Cant get released now and return to Scotland.

No idea where I've got that from, I've absolutely made it up. 

Thank you though 👍 

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

No idea where I've got that from, I've absolutely made it up. 

Its odd because you are the 2nd person in a week to say they thought it was only loans from a higher tier. 

Obviously the majority of loans ARE downward. Same levels loans are less common and upward loans are extremely rare (did Zak Rudden not get loaned upwards Dundee to St Johnstone last week? Ryan McGeever certainly went on loan from Dumbarton to Clyde). 

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Its odd because you are the 2nd person in a week to say they thought it was only loans from a higher tier. 

Obviously the majority of loans ARE downward. Same levels loans are less common and upward loans are extremely rare (did Zak Rudden not get loaned upwards Dundee to St Johnstone last week? Ryan McGeever certainly went on loan from Dumbarton to Clyde). 

I've probably just picked from that post. Was absolutely aware about the possibility of loaning upwards, but for whatever reason I had it in my mind that changed outwith the window. There's absolutely no logic to it really. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aye, this is March now and not January, but anyway ...

Gavin Reilly has joined Stenny on loan, and Rico Quitongo has joined Clyde on loan, both to the end of the season.

On 24/02/2023 at 21:28, airdrieman said:

Bright Prince joins East Stirlingshire on loan. 

Is there a reason he's not getting any game time for Airdrie? I know 17 is young but if he's good enough he could surely be getting some game time in a side that doesn't have a big squad. We have Lewis Gibson the same age who's racked up a fair few games now. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2023 at 20:56, 19QOS19 said:

Is there a reason he's not getting any game time for Airdrie? I know 17 is young but if he's good enough he could surely be getting some game time in a side that doesn't have a big squad. We have Lewis Gibson the same age who's racked up a fair few games now. 

Hard to know without having seen him play. He's certainly got the size to perhaps offer something or at least be competitive/'put himself about'. Our only reserve forwards are Bright, Salim and Joe Dixon and McCabe doesn't really seem to currently trust or rate any of them, at least going by their lack of game time. That could be in part down to our substitutions usually being a bit of a shambles with McCabe and Fordyce both being on the park and there never really being any clear plan as regards to what subs or tactical changes to make, if there are any substitutions made at all. For example, there's (unfortunately) been countless games in 2023 where we've been chasing a goal and, while it's not tactically sophisticated, it's probably been worth chucking on a forward or two just to go for it yet he never has. McCabe was in the dugout on Saturday and the subs were a lot more organised and sensible and, he did bring on Salim and Dixon so perhaps Bright might have got a chance if he hadn't been out on loan. Easy enough to do that when you're 6 goals up mind you. 

Or, he might just not be very good or ready to play first team football. He has scored 11 goals in 13(?) games for the U18s although by all accounts he's never stood out as one of the better players in the team according to those who've watched their games. I'm also not sure how much you can really read from games at that level, good or bad. 

If you're cynically minded you might think he's only been included in the first team as a ploy by the club and/or agents to get his name out there for a potential sale (I believe he's trained with both Dundee United and Rangers since signing with us). He has a very interesting and eccentric PR team (his da) behind him who makes colourful posts about his career and footballing abilities. Highlights off the top of my head include him discussing whether or not he'll choose Nigeria or Spain to play his international football, comparisons with Messi and Eto'o and Biblical metaphors. Naturally, I hope he's here for the long haul and either an absolute find or completely dung. 

https://www.facebook.com/brightosemudiamenkelly

Edited by airdrieman