NHS Reform

SandyCromarty

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You can get that done privately at the high street hearing shops.

Not very expensive.

I thought the NHS had stopped doing that, quite correctly too.

Rather than waste NHS time bought a kit from Boots and did it myself.

2 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Medical school intakes are increasing, but if you're increasing the number of medical students, you need to increase the number of postgraduate training posts. There's a huge bottleneck and a huge amount of attrition. We lose a lot of trainees to the Antipodes, but also to locum posts where pay is better and the training (that which exists) is similar. More students means medical schools need more capacity, we are really struggling, we just don't have the ability to place and appropriately supervise all these students, particularly in general practice, as there are limited spaces.

My impression is that work is being done at SG level on increasing the number of PG training places, but I don't get involved in that (thankfully). I should have included PG training in my list of things that are more difficult to address, rather than the relatively simple increase in intakes.

The last figures that I saw (and they're probably a bit out of date) suggested that 80% of Scot Dom students stay to work in the Scottish NHS, 40% from rUk and 30% of international students.

8 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Getting your ears cleaned out is hardly worthy of being classed as an essential health procedure.

unless it's due to or causing a serious issue then it's akin to going to a surgeon to get your toenails cut

20 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Getting your ears cleaned out is hardly worthy of being classed as an essential health procedure.

Not sure if I missed somebody saying it's essential but surely if you exhaust the options of eardrops and pharmacy advice and there's no improvement you'd contact the ear clinic? Especially if there was dizziness and/or nausea. A check by health professionals might find an underlying problem. 

But hey, we know it's rampant privatisation of health that you're really getting at.

Stage 1 of the plan is almost complete. Following sustained underfunding the NHS is unable to do what it's supposed to do. 

Stage 2 - private sector to the rescue! "radical re-thinking", "innovative", "efficient". Yay for capitalism. 

Stage 3 will be the dawning realisation that service is deteriorating as prices and profits rise- see buses, trains, electricity, water etc...... 

Perhaps Sunak and Sturgeon should go and spend 12 hours in a busy A&E and see exactly what the problems are and then work out how they are going to deal with them. Let them be lambasted by the patients and relatives that are having to put up with this.

I am surprised that no one, so far, has made a claim against the NHS for delayed treatment compensation where care falls below medically acceptable standards. or If you have received care that falls below an acceptable standard in the NHS and this care has directly led to avoidable injury, or caused an existing condition to get worse, then you have been a victim of medical negligence.

Perhaps now is the time to ease restriction on immigrants and get carers and nurses into the country. With additional carers then the care homes could run at full capacity which would ease delayed release in the hospitals.

1 hour ago, Hard Graft said:

Perhaps Sunak and Sturgeon should go and spend 12 hours in a busy A&E and see exactly what the problems are and then work out how they are going to deal with them. Let them be lambasted by the patients and relatives that are having to put up with this.

The tories are more than aware of what the problems in the NHS are, having purposely created them.

6 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You do realise that these DIY kits are next to fucking useless?

And for those who fo have ear-related health issues it's the only safe way to clean out the ear.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

40 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You do realise that these DIY kits are next to fucking useless?

And for those who fo have ear-related health issues it's the only safe way to clean out the ear.

No need for DIY kits.

You can get it done privately for a modest cost and they will tell you if there is anything serious.

Its a bit like going to the dentist where, even under the NHS, there are fees for certain procedures.

Its time we started taking more personal responsibility for things like that.

You're all arguing with an account that purports to believe that people struggling to afford heat and food should pay for their own ear/nose/throat and dental care because personal responsibility, while bemoaning that people with tens of thousands of pounds in savings have to use some of it for private joint surgery if they aren't prepared to wait in the NHS queues like everybody else.

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You're all arguing with an account that purports to believe that people struggling to afford heat and food should pay for their own ear/nose/throat and dental care because personal responsibility, while bemoaning that people with tens of thousands of pounds in savings have to use some of it for private joint surgery if they aren't prepared to wait in the NHS queues like everybody else.

Probably a fair summary.

3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

No need for DIY kits.

You can get it done privately for a modest cost and they will tell you if there is anything serious.

Its a bit like going to the dentist where, even under the NHS, there are fees for certain procedures.

Its time we started taking more personal responsibility for things like that.

£60 to get both ears microsuctioned to clear wax.  I can afford it, but I'm sure many people would baulk at paying this.

Locally, I can't get my ears syringed by the NHS because they consider there's a danger of damage to the eardrum using this method.

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Labour's Sir Keir Starmer proposes a "partnership model" which see the state working with private businesses to address the ongoing crisis in the NHS. He adds that reforming the public service will also bring about "improvement".

The red Tory gimp won’t fix the NHS either.

Idea worth considering.

Just a reminder that when the Tories talk of 'reform' they of course mean privatisation. Any talk of them increasing funding is a sham if it goes nowhere near addressing it's needs. But that's why. A slow painful death driven by a disgusting ideology. Their systematic running down of an institution with the greatest of aims - the health of all - is a disgrace. To plaster on a bus how many millions would be put into the NHS after Brexit is one of the greatest Tory cons ever. Well, so far. Imagine even thinking the right to strike could be made illegal.

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Patients being reviewed in hospital cupboards with nurses holding sheets across the door to prevent the waiting room seeing in the QEUH the other day. Humza Yousaf absolutely silent. Should be a resigning issue. 

I'd be a little lost for words as well tbf.