NHS Reform

SandyCromarty

54 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

You might think that, but when you consider that pensions and benefits for many people who are not working will be rising by the rate of inflation, while those in work will see their pay shrink in real terms, maybe it's not so 'divorced from reality'. 

I think that just about everyone would think that a ~15% across the board pay increase is detached from economic reality right now. 

54 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

We still await information from the Treasury about public sector pension increases payable from next April (info due in January, I think?) but I'm expecting the rise, as normal, to be the September CPI figure which I think was just over 10%. Also, on each day that any salaries are paid, a sizeable chunk goes straight back to the Government in income tax and NI; maybe not a killer point but I thought I'd make it. 

There's really not a point being made at all. Are nurses going to forego their own public sector pension when they've finished their career, or are they offering to trade pay increases now for a pension that doesn't track inflation further down the line?

Which is before we even get to the 5% increase demanded on top of that and the 'cost of living= a percentage pay rise' nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It will be interesting to see if the Scottish Government reps turn on the nurses and try to demonise them the way the Westminster ones have, or whether they go for more talks. I also suspect that the Scottish papers won't go full 'Daily Mail' on the nurses. Will the Mail and the Express go into full hypocrisy mode and demand immediate negotiations?

As Diana rolls in her grave...NOW STURGEON KILLS GRANNIES AS MIGRANT NURSE HOUSE PRICES MARKLE

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Without actually asking their members, however

Not sure which unions you’re referring to but Unite is the largest NHS union and held a vote. Unison also did albeit I think they mainly represent ambulance staff and aren’t particularly large. 

12 minutes ago, Paco said:

Not sure which unions you’re referring to but Unite is the largest NHS union and held a vote. Unison also did albeit I think they mainly represent ambulance staff and aren’t particularly large. 

Yeah, it was Unison who didn't

In my experience the way NHS Scotland procures medicines via contracts from private pharmaceutical companies (usually discounted heavily at bulk costs) is still frighteningly wasteful, especially considering most wards never actually use the medicine they specifically asked for. The amount of money wasted on unused medicine alone is staggering. Besides all that, and the layers of useless middle management, I wouldn’t trade it for anything else. The right to a good standard of healthcare, free at the point of contact is essential to a decent society. 

Seems like the Scottish Government’s hands are tied.  Unlike the U.K. government they have limited scope to increase revenues to meet a higher wage increase.  They have already increased income tax for the higher rate taxpayers.

Not sure where they can find additional cash from.  Any suggestions?

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Seems like the Scottish Government’s hands are tied.  Unlike the U.K. government they have limited scope to increase revenues to meet a higher wage increase.  They have already increased income tax for the higher rate taxpayers.

Not sure where they can find additional cash from.  Any suggestions?

There is no other option, either Westminster increase their offer to NHS England, and the subsequent Barnett consequentials allow a further bit of wriggle room, or they raise taxes.  The sooner those who are carping about the SG failing to meet the wage demands realise this... nah, that's not going to happen.

Bit of a minter for Sandy and his look how much better the SG treat the NHS.  As for where does the money come from, I would suggest the same place as England.  2008/9 Scotland spends 10% more per person than England o. Health.  Now it is 3%.  Choices have been made and it has been the Scottish government's choice to underfund the NHS is comparison to England.  Free bus travel from working youngsters is more important than nurses getting increases in line with the cost of living.  Choices.

12 minutes ago, strichener said:

Bit of a minter for Sandy and his look how much better the SG treat the NHS.  As for where does the money come from, I would suggest the same place as England.  2008/9 Scotland spends 10% more per person than England o. Health.  Now it is 3%.  Choices have been made and it has been the Scottish government's choice to underfund the NHS is comparison to England.  Free bus travel from working youngsters is more important than nurses getting increases in line with the cost of living.  Choices.

Of course another option would be for Scotland to have full fiscal autonomy rather than being dependent on the voters in another country determining how much we should spend rather than what we spend it on.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Of course another option would be for Scotland to have full fiscal autonomy rather than being dependent on the voters in another country determining how much we should spend rather than what we spend it on.

We can only work with what we have in the here and now. 

Do you think we would make better decisions if we had more autonomy (even if this also resulted in less money)?

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

We can only work with what we have in the here and now. 

Do you think we would make better decisions if we had more autonomy (even if this also resulted in less money)?

No, we need to work to change things; nothing is more important.

As it is I’m pretty happy with the decisions that have been made including free travel for young people, though scrapping it wouldn’t make much of a dent in nurses wages.

I’m also happy with free university tuition, free prescriptions and all the other positive things the SG has done.

22 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

As it is I’m pretty happy with the decisions that have been made including free travel for young people, though scrapping it wouldn’t make much of a dent in nurses wages.

I’m also happy with free university tuition, free prescriptions and all the other positive things the SG has done.

Have you not just emigrated from Scotland 😂

On 23/12/2022 at 21:08, Granny Danger said:

Do you actually have a residence in Scotland or do you just stay abroad for most of the year?

Would be interesting to know?