Darvel v Aberdeen 23rd Jan Live on BBC

Suspect Device

East Fife had almost the exact same set up with the temporary wooden terrace when Sevco when in League 1. Just so happened we were also in League 1 at the time, so got to use said temporary wooden terrace.

It's fine. No issue. Unsure why folk think there would be.

On 20/01/2023 at 20:26, Darvel legend said:

No the house pal but on at 50/1 which is silly odds , let’s face it it’s a league 1 side at home to spl team who are no very good at the moment , my worry is we play in blue and the sheep try a wee bit harder against teams in blue 🤷‍♂️

It's neither of those things.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If we don’t trust fit members of the squad to come in to replace unfit players then maybe recruitment hasn’t been that great. 

If ever there was a night to test that theory (certainly with middle to front players) it was last Wednesday.

Duk has been great, but it was clear he was f**ked at Hampden - and he was never going to be at-it at Tynecastle.  Three or four others hobbled off too, but we have a lot of fringe players that in theory should be desperate to impress.

Still that's now five days since Tynecastle, and the pitch is meant to be decent down in Darvel - so really no excuse in terms of fatigue/ poor playing surface etc.............the main worry remains our complete inability to defend.

Annan scored with a simple bonce off a corner, after pinning us back for two or three separate spells down there.  Let that happen tonight and there will be problems.

Sad I can't go on this exotic mystery after experiencing the delights of Annan and Almaty in recent times. This is our first non-league opponent since 1971, and even then it was now in the league Elgin City.

Edited by tarapoa

On 22/01/2023 at 08:21, 1GregStewart said:

Dons fans shafted again, given the Monday night slot away to Ayrshire. Voted with their feet, and good on them.

This game should have been played at 3pm on Saturday.

Dons fans would have been all over this game and it would easily have sold out.

Modern fitba is pish.

I’m very old, but this is only the third time Aberdeen have met a non-league in my lifetime. Deveronvale in 1961 when I was only 5, Elgin City in 1971 when I was going to the original game but it was flooded off and I couldn’t go to the amended date, so this is my very first time watching us playing a non-league side in a competitive match. And I have the fear, although we should be wiping the floor with them.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’m very old, but this is only the third time Aberdeen have met a non-league in my lifetime. Deveronvale in 1961 when I was only 5, Elgin City in 1971 when I was going to the original game but it was flooded off and I couldn’t go to the amended date, so this is my very first time watching us playing a non-league side in a competitive match. And I have the fear, although we should be wiping the floor with them.

Was it not snowed off? It was played on the Monday, but I had an exam on the Tuesday, so didn't go.

However, I did see us beat Deveronvale 9-2 in 1966, in what I remembered as a Dewar Shield tie, but apparently it was a friendly.

https://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=5716&season=1966-67&squad=Senior

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Was it not snowed off? It was played on the Monday, but I had an exam on the Tuesday, so didn't go.

However, I did see us beat Deveronvale 9-2 in 1966, in what I remembered as a Dewar Shield tie, but apparently it was a friendly.

https://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=5716&season=1966-67&squad=Senior

Coincidentally or not Deveronvale played a Dewar Shield SF only 48hrs before crashing 7-0 to Dundee at Dens Park. In their defence it was stated they'd never played by artificial light before 🤣.

According to the Press & Journal their friendly against Aberdeen was:

"a game which they are traditionally entitled to as County Cup winners... either at Banff... or at Pittodrie... the players plumped for Pittodrie"

in which case it would have its origins in the Dewar Shield as Aberdeen and St Johnstone used to contest playoffs to enter.

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

This game should have been played at 3pm on Saturday.

At which point you'd have had people howling that a classic cup tie was overlooked for TV in favour of both the Old Firm and an easy option like Kilmarnock v Dumbarton. 

The TV companies can't win.