Darvel v Aberdeen 23rd Jan Live on BBC

Suspect Device

First off, the better team by a mile won last night, so really well done to Darvel. At the game last night it was so difficult to get my head round that we were playing a team from the sixth tier of Scottish football. We had no fight, second to every ball, no desire, no dig in challenges. In the dying stages of the match we were still trying to knock the ball around the back four, I mean, for f’ck’s sake. Darvel we’re knocking the ball about with some great passing and we were unable to do anything about it. Spineless. Absolutely f*ck*ng shocking. Why Jim Goodwin wasn’t sacked last night I’ll never know. He has to be gone today, not tomorrow, not later in the week, today.

And...and...no shots on target in the first half. F*ck*ng hell.

Edited by kingjoey

When I left for the match yesterday this thread was 6 pages long and now it’s up to 54. Totally understandable and I would imagine half these posts are from Hearts fans. We deserve it and it’s nice to give the rest of Scottish football a good feeling.

9 hours ago, gavin_3110 said:

The perception of teams like Darvel is skewed by the extremely limited promotion and relegation at the lower levels. They are far better than sides two, or even three tiers above them. 

I don't have any particular knowledge of the levels of football that Darvel play at but this seems likely to be true to me.  Technically, they play at the same point on the pyramid as Clachnaccudin Reserves but obviously they are better than that.

Still probably the worst/funniest result in Scottish football history though.

Edited by ICTChris

8 hours ago, gavin_3110 said:

Don't get me wrong, it's a massive achievement for Darvel and still a huge upset, but I think it's far from the biggest. 

I think that Darvel team is better man for man than the Albion Rovers one who put Motherwell out in 2013, Motherwell were also in good form in the league at the time. It will certainly have been more expensively assembled, I don't mean that as a slight, just an observation. 

The perception of teams like Darvel is skewed by the extremely limited promotion and relegation at the lower levels. They are far better than sides two, or even three tiers above them. 

Time for expanded promotion and relegation, there are a lot of teams who need to find their true level in either direction.

Anyone who remembers the seismic result at Shielfield Park on January 28th 1967 will view last night as far from the biggest Scottish Cup shock.

Aberdeen is a club which has long traded on past glories and which is currently flatlining, so when they went behind to a very well-organised and highly-motivated Darvel side a shock was always on.

Whilst Darvel are reportedly having money pumped in, they don't seem to have many 'names' in there, and I remember Jordan Kirkpatrick and Andy Stirling as decent lower league players at the Rock.  Fair play to them.

I fully expect the Dons to now beat Hibs this weekend.

8 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I think Falkirk cuff them in the next round.  That was inexplicably bad from Aberdeen, even taking their form into account. Fantastic for Darvel though, they play some neat and tidy stuff, and they've done brilliantly!  This is the biggest cup shock in my lifetime. 

Not sure Falkirk will.  Darvel absolutely pumped Montrose away.  That's Falkirks level.

21 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

When I left for the match yesterday this thread was 6 pages long and now it’s up to 54. Totally understandable and I would imagine half these posts are from Hearts fans. We deserve it and it’s nice to give the rest of Scottish football a good feeling.

Good to know that even in your depths of despair we haunt your thoughts.

But I think you'll find this one has brought the whole fitba community together.

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Technically, they play at the same point on the pyramid as Clachnaccudin

Only true if you mean the Clachnacuddin Reserves, who play in the North Caledonian League at the same level on the pyramid as the WoS Premier Division.

Eta for entertaining fact:  By sitting top of their respective feeder leagues for the LL/HL, Darvel are currently at the same level on the pyramid as... 

Loch_Ness_F.C.png

image.png.8415c0087326dd34125133ce969bfa87.png

Edited by Hedgecutter

29 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

First off, the better team by a mile won last night, so really well done to Darvel. At the game last night it was so difficult to get my head round that we were playing a team from the sixth tier of Scottish football. We had no fight, second to every ball, no desire, no dig in challenges. In the dying stages of the match we were still trying to knock the ball around the back four, I mean, for f’ck’s sake. Darvel we’re knocking the ball about with some great passing and we were unable to do anything about it. Spineless. Absolutely f*ck*ng shocking. Why Jim Goodwin wasn’t sacked last night I’ll never know. He has to be gone today, not tomorrow, not later in the week, today.

No positives then, Joey?

27 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I enjoyed this as the seethe began to bubble to the surface after a mellow start. Would have loved a second paragraph to see where it went :)