Scottish Budget Day

ICTChris

John Swinney will be delivering the Scottish budget today - Kate Forbes is off on maternity leave.

It's widely believed that taxes will rise to some extent - the current briefing is that the higher rate will rise from 41% to 42% and the top rate will go up from 46% to 47%.  Higher rate covers earnings between £44k and £150k and top rate is anything above £150k.  It's expected that the bands for the top rate will come down - the UK Government reduced the top rate band to £125k, I think, it would make a lot of sense to do the same - unless Swinney fancies attracting loads of rich English people earning between £125 and £150k to Scotland.

How to P&Bers feel about the budget?

Time to squeeze the rich until the pips squeak?

Are any P&Bers furiously depositing their cash in secret Isle of Man bank accounts?

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

John Swinney will be delivering the Scottish budget today - Kate Forbes is off on maternity leave.

It's widely believed that taxes will rise to some extent - the current briefing is that the higher rate will rise from 41% to 42% and the top rate will go up from 46% to 47%.  Higher rate covers earnings between £44k and £150k and top rate is anything above £150k.  It's expected that the bands for the top rate will come down - the UK Government reduced the top rate band to £125k, I think, it would make a lot of sense to do the same - unless Swinney fancies attracting loads of rich English people earning between £125 and £150k to Scotland.

How to P&Bers feel about the budget?

Time to squeeze the rich until the pips squeak?

Are any P&Bers furiously depositing their cash in secret Isle of Man bank accounts?

I want everyone to pay more except me. I want to pay less.

If Swinney can swing this, he'll get my vote.

17 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

The squeezed middle will bear the brunt of this to give more to the layabouts and benefits scroungers.

Absolutely.

They always forget that it’s the aspirational who produce prosperity.

High taxes isn’t a good policy especially if you want to encourage business activity.

Labour tried this in the 70’s and it ended badly.
I would imagine it will be loudly applauded on here.

Pretty sure the Holyrood Speaker just delayed the budget speech for 30 minutes so she can find out who's been leaking it. Nothing on the main news channels, was watching on Holyrood TV. Imagine if it had been the UK budget!

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Pretty sure the Holyrood Speaker just delayed the budget speech for 30 minutes so she can find out who's been leaking it. Nothing on the main news channels, was watching on Holyrood TV. Imagine if it had been the UK budget!

It's all over the BBC website

6 minutes ago, Rugster said:

It's all over the BBC website

Nothing on the BBC News channel, despite the fact they're showing it live. Sky neither. 

P.S. Just mentioned it now.

Edited by welshbairn

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Quite right too. 

It's a pity that generations of supine House of Commons Speakers haven't done the same. 

Imagine the expressions on the faces of the Government front bench if Hoyle had said 'oi, (insert name of leaky Minister) - your statement has already been made to the press, so sit down and MPs will now batter you senseless for the next two hours with their questions.' 

Someone in the SNP group or special advisor or Parliament staff will be stuffing a telephone directory down their breeks as we wait. 

Edit... Of course it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a media organisation has breached a publication embargo, or indeed that an advance copy of the statement had been given to the opposition and they leaked it.  (Shock, horror!) 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

4 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Someone in the SNP group or special advisor or Parliament staff will be stuffing a telephone directory down their breeks as we wait. 

Not necessarily. These statements are given to the other parties in advance to allow them to prepare questions.

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Quite right too. 

It's a pity that generations of supine House of Commons Speakers haven't done the same. 

Imagine the expressions on the faces of the Government front bench if Hoyle had said 'oi, (insert name of leaky Minister) - your statement has already been made to the press, so sit down and MPs will now batter you senseless for the next two hours with their questions.' 

I think they give advance copies to the leaders of other parties, my finger's pointing at Alex Cole-Hamilton.

I dont mind paying more tax. It was always going to happen. It is a bit frustrating when it comes alongside everything else increasing at the same time albeit i cant really complain as i am fairly comfortable. 

I still completely disagree that you lose your personal allowance when you start earning over £100k. Cant see that changing anytime soon