Aberdeen v Celtic, sat 12:30

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Same here....£33 for South Stand to watch that is extortion.  No wonder therev was such a poor crowd today....suspect many knew the script and decided against suffering that negative rubbish. 

Before the game I was keen to get a ticket for the Rangers game on Tuesday but I am afraid that has put me off and can;t see me bothering now

Tav maybe be our only fit defender,  we're vulnerable at the back.

31 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

I'm a season ticket holder but after a day's work and the prospect of an early start for work the following day then I'm also not sure whether turning up to watch another 90 minutes of us defending in depth like San Marino is worth attending.

Can see it being as low as 12,000 on Tuesday.

Hing on the noo. 

You've paid for your seat. Your team didnae play particularly well against the current league leaders and lost 1-0. And you're thinking about boycotting the next game? 

Fucking hell. Just turn up and cheer on your team. 

3 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Aberdeen also did provide a threat on the break. 

Have you been dropping acid @Cosmic Joe?

Hayes had a couple of runs at their defence but we never tested the hapless Hart.

I like your avatar by the way. Kevin Mouse? Wasn't he one of the first big name English players to play in Scotland when he joined Hotshot Hamish at Princes Park?

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I had thought this game had finished 0-0 but late last night was pleasantly surprised to see Celtic found a winner late on. What a great finish from McGregor - It's been remarkable to watch the player he has developed into over the last few years.

He tried something, it didn’t work and it bored the life out of the fans.

Let’s hope he learns from it and moves on. To have so little threat going forward in a home game is not acceptable, everyone can see that.

Goodwins comments sometimes concern me, he has such an inferiority complex regarding Celtic games.

Get at Sevco 2012 on Tuesday please and move on from that experiment. They have defensive issues alledgedly, so let’s test them.

13 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

Was certainly right up with Alex Miller tactics when he was in charge 

Don't think even Alex Miller was as negative as that. I'm still upset today with that tactics, if he does that again at home then he won't have my support.

Edited by betting competition

Celtic went toe to toe with Real Madrid for 60 minutes but still lost and took the plaudits for it from the fans.
If Goodwin is going to try and create a mindset and belief in his players hes going about it in the wrong way, he shat it,it's easier to destroy than create.
The dons have goals in that team scoring 4 against Hibs,St Mirren and Killie at home.
There is no embarrassment to losing to this Celtic team 1 nil or 4-1.  

There's been a very fair wind that has followed Goodwin for the last year or so.

Had Glass been sacked a month earlier, is there much chance Aberdeen would have hired Goodwin, whose St Mirren team at that point was ninth in the league, five points from bottom, having won 3 games out of 20 all season and none in their last 11?

But Aberdeen had a pretty winnable run of games in December that led to Glass getting a run going and clinging on until the point where St Mirren had hit a run of form, on the basis of which Aberdeen seem to have hired Goodwin.

Having lucked into the job, he then finds himself getting handed a budget in the summer that would pull any non-OF side from the bottom six into European contention, and the likes of which his predecessor did not enjoy. Then he gets half a season of playing basically weekend to weekend while his team's clearest rivals have an injury crisis and play a game every four days. The bigger shock at the moment would be if they weren't sitting third in the league.

He couldn't really have asked for more. Yet, Aberdeen haven't made much of these advantages, and Goodwin doesn't seem to have established what kind of side he wants, what their approach will be, or how to organise a defence without putting eight players in it.

My big prediction is that he'll be gone by next Christmas. He sounds very measured in interviews, he speaks slowly and comes across well. But if you listen to what he says, it's often complete nonsense. The Emperor has no clothes.

Edited by VincentGuerin

18 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

You've got to be joking!! I don't mind protecting the defence a bit more but we played like fucking San Marino.

I won't be paying another £30 to watch the next home match against Celtic.

The players weren't to blame though. The tried hard to execute a flawed plan.

Tommy McLean used to do that with Motherwell regularly in the 1980s. Go to Ibrox, Parkhead, Tynecastle and  Pittodrie (we used to attack back in those days) with the uber-defensive mindset, and it would be an eye-bleeding shitfest before the overworked Motherwell defenders would finally lose concentration and concede a late goal.

Nul points and fuck back to Paisley Goodwin...

Not joking. 

With the defensive and midfield personnel at our disposal (which is on Goodwin btw), without a recent bounce game (ditto), and against that Celtic team, we needed to prioritise getting bodies back or they'd have absolutely mauled us and knocked our confidence. 

I'd have liked to have seen a bit more attacking adventurousness but our main problem going forward was that we didn't do anything with the ball when we had it. Ok, there were a limited number of targets but our passing and two or three attempts at crossing were woeful. 

St Mirren are the only Scottish team to beat Celtic this season and did that with 20% possession, which they turned into 4 shots on goal. 

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not joking. 

With the defensive and midfield personnel at our disposal (which is on Goodwin btw), without a recent bounce game (ditto), and against that Celtic team, we needed to prioritise getting bodies back or they'd have absolutely mauled us and knocked our confidence. 

I'd have liked to have seen a bit more attacking adventurousness but our main problem going forward was that we didn't do anything with the ball when we had it. Ok, there were a limited number of targets but our passing and two or three attempts at crossing were woeful. 

St Mirren are the only Scottish team to beat Celtic this season and did that with 20% possession, which they turned into 4 shots on goal. 

St Mirren also pressed Celtic in the right areas and had a plan of attack.

There's no way you watched that yesterday and felt the two games were comparable.

St Mirren were smart and executed a good gameplan well. Aberdeen were just praying that Celtic wouldn't score for 96 minutes or so.

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not joking. 

I strongly disagree with this. 

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

St Mirren also pressed Celtic in the right areas and had a plan of attack.

There's no way you watched that yesterday and felt the two games were comparable.

St Mirren were smart and executed a good gameplan well. Aberdeen were just praying that Celtic wouldn't score for 96 minutes or so.

Absolutely.

Before the match Goodwin mentioned that he was studying Robinson's tactics on how to win against the green bigots.

Clearly he either didn't or he did and completely misinterpreted Robinson's plan.

I only watched the last half hour of yesterday's game and Aberdeen's performance was night and day compared to ours.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic went toe to toe with Real Madrid for 60 minutes but still lost and took the plaudits for it from the fans.
If Goodwin is going to try and create a mindset and belief in his players hes going about it in the wrong way, he shat it,it's easier to destroy than create.
The dons have goals in that team scoring 4 against Hibs,St Mirren and Killie at home.
There is no embarrassment to losing to this Celtic team 1 nil or 4-1.  

Yeah plucky wee losers, well done. See the source image

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

There's been a very fair wind that has followed Goodwin for the last year or so.

Had Glass been sacked a month earlier, is there much chance Aberdeen would have hired Goodwin, whose St Mirren team at that point was ninth in the league, five points from bottom, having won 3 games out of 20 all season and none in their last 11?

But Aberdeen had a pretty winnable run of games in December that led to Glass getting a run going and clinging on until the point where St Mirren had hit a run of form, on the basis of which Aberdeen seem to have hired Goodwin.

Having lucked into the job, he then finds himself getting handed a budget in the summer that would pull any non-OF side from the bottom six into European contention, and the likes of which his predecessor did not enjoy. Then he gets half a season of playing basically weekend to weekend while his team's clearest rivals have an injury crisis and play a game every four days. The bigger shock at the moment would be if they weren't sitting third in the league.

He couldn't really have asked for more. Yet, Aberdeen haven't made much of these advantages, and Goodwin doesn't seem to have established what kind of side he wants, what their approach will be, or how to organise a defence without putting eight players in it.

My big prediction is that he'll be gone by next Christmas. He sounds very measured in interviews, he speaks slowly and comes across well. But if you listen to what he says, it's often complete nonsense. The Emperor has no clothes.

This is unfair.

He significantly improved both clubs he’s managed so far. Alloa more than held their own against FT clubs and he got St Mirren to a point where they were knocking on the door for top six which can’t be said for most of the last few decades. 

He’s had money to spend but that’s on the back of losing £7million worth of talent. You say he couldn’t have asked for more but he inherited an absolute shitshow and has successfully integrated more than 10 new signings. That could easily have gone a lot worse, just look at Hibs. For what it’s worth, Glass and laterally McInnes were both given large budgets and they were squandered. Goodwin has had to ship out players who weren’t up to it and there’s still a few in this category taking up a wage.

Goodwin’s a safe pair of hands imo, he’s a decent manager but he’s going to struggle against a team full of better players with a better manager like Celtic. There are areas to improve, he needs to strike a balance in approach somewhere between yesterday vs Celtic and Ibrox earlier in the season and the away form must get better but he has us in third and in the semifinals so we’re on the right track overall.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

he has us in third and in the semifinals so we’re on the right track overall.

Do you think many managers wouldn't?

As mentioned previously, your league position for the moment comes with caveats. And in the League Cup you won a group ahead of lower league teams (including Peterhead who could hardly field a team) before beating Annan and Partick Thistle. Do you think loads of other coaches would have struggled with that? He's in a semi-final without playing a top-flight side. As of current standings, his toughest opponent on that cup run was the 17th best team in Scotland.

And in the Scottish Cup he gets Darvel! He just keeps catching breaks.

It's hardly stunning stuff for a guy with his budget and circumstances.

Selling 'seven million pounds worth of talent' sounds like a major problem. But for clubs at Aberdeen's level that's always a chance to improve the team when it only actually means a couple of players leaving, one of whom was a teenager. There isn't a coach in the country who wouldn't bite your hand off for that.

Edited by VincentGuerin