Motherwell vs St Mirren

25 minutes ago, AdamMFC said:

We can't seem to keep a clean sheet and haven't had much luck at the other end of the pitch so I can only see this going one way unfortunately. 2-0 St. Mirren.

I mean, we've scored in 13 of our 16 league games. So that's something.

The problem is that we rarely seem to score more than 1. We've only scored more than a single goal 3 times in the league.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, we've scored in 13 of our 16 league games. So that's something.

The problem is that we rarely seem to score more than 1. We've only scored more than a single goal 3 times in the league.

Yeah I should have clarified but yeah that's what I meant, we don't score more than 1 all that often.

As others have said, break came at a good time for us.  Due to the injuries we picked up and the amount of games, the team were running on empty after the 10 games across October/November.

As for the St Mirren game coming up, hoping we are rejuvenated, rested and niggles (the likes of Solholm, Spittal, McKinstry, Tierney) cleared up. Moult not being available, let's be honest, makes little difference.

I still don't put that much into the collective actual results across Oct/Nov as others do to form a genuine view on how we look for this game, or the rest of the season either. As a reminder, 6 were away from home and 4 were at home (Celtic x 2, Rangers & Aberdeen) so it was always going to be tough without the lack of depth we had.

The next 10-12 games, other than Rangers away looks a great run of games to really cement the season. So, a 1-0 scrappy win on Saturday will start us off nicely. Shields bundles the ball over the line. 

I've been in a surprisingly good mood these last few days, all because the Saints are due to be playing again.  

So it's nailled on to be postponed.

If the Gods smile on us and the game is on, Motherwell to fucking batter us for 95 minutes and us to get a flukey penalty that Ayunga converts for an against the grain one nil to us. Because I think these things even themselves out over the season... 

31 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I've been in a surprisingly good mood these last few days, all because the Saints are due to be playing again.  

So it's nailled on to be postponed.

If the Gods smile on us and the game is on, Motherwell to fucking batter us for 95 minutes and us to get a flukey penalty that Ayunga converts for an against the grain one nil to us. Because I think these things even themselves out over the season... 

You've got a few seasons of 'debatable ' penalties to make up for before you can talk about evening out over the season. In any case, that might have seemed harsh on the opening day but the rest of the season has shown that to be a standard handball decision these days (I know I'm setting us up for one of those really annoying handball penalties).

St Mirren were one of the better sides we've played this season based on our first day win - and our home form is pretty gash - so not massively confident. 

We are capable of playing well and the fact that the (overused) players have had a rest will be a good thing - but unlike normal winter breaks, we haven't fixed any of our glaring squad problems and so it's hard to see any dramatic improvement.

Maybe a 1-1 here?

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

We are capable of playing well and the fact that the (overused) players have had a rest will be a good thing - but unlike normal winter breaks, we haven't fixed any of our glaring squad problems and so it's hard to see any dramatic improvement.

This has been one of my biggest concerns about the break landing when it has. In previous seasons where we've had the break it's allowed us to focus on getting some bodies through the door and bedding them in.

Looking at our line-up for the Spurs game it was a heavy comedown to realise that we're basically still asking the same group of players to go again. With Moult seemingly done we're actually a body down from where we were for the St Johnstone game.

Aw f**k is that the real fitba back already? I was enjoying a break from watching us make a c**t of things every week. 

Can't see anything other than a St Mirren win. For us, we just need to limp through to January and hope we can get some decent / uninjured players in for the second half of the season. 

I wasn’t overjoyed at the return of Moult (or Aaron’s) when it was announced. A deal that came more with hope than expectation. 

Given the month we had just went through, there clearly wasn’t a lot of time / funds for better deals to be made so gambles were understandably took. 

Based on the squads, I think St Mirren are better than us this season. Our squad has been deteriorating for the last 3 seasons now with no end in sight. Hopefully we get to the summer still in the premiership and then Hammell can truly be judged on how he fixes this mess. 

Motherwell 2-2 St Mirren

6 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

You've got a few seasons of 'debatable ' penalties to make up for before you can talk about evening out over the season. In any case, that might have seemed harsh on the opening day but the rest of the season has shown that to be a standard handball decision these days (I know I'm setting us up for one of those really annoying handball penalties).

I agree about your first point. I can reflect on the 4 (four) penalties we shipped at Ibrox the other season. Three of which demonstrably weren't . 

1 hour ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I agree about your first point. I can reflect on the 4 (four) penalties we shipped at Ibrox the other season. Three of which demonstrably weren't . 

You are Scottish, lived in Scotland, know of our ways and customs and are surprised by this?

Anyway, VAR has put that to bed .......