The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

Week 23 update

Three deaths this week of varying levels of sympathy on offer. Up first, guitarist Tony McPhee: Tony McPhee obituary | Pop and rock | The Guardian

Born in Humberston, Lincolnshire, Tony was the son of Charles McPhee, a telegraphist in the Royal Navy and then a civil servant in the Ministry of Defence, and Eileen (nee Harrison). The family moved to south London when Tony was one, and he later attended Tooting Bec grammar school. He developed an early enthusiasm for the blues when his brother took home imported LPs of American blues artists. “It was then that I first heard this raw stuff and my ears p***ked up,” he told Classic Rock magazine.

The Groundhogs came into being after McPhee, who had been fronting his own group, the Seneschals, joined the Dollar Bills in 1962. This was an outfit formed in New Cross, south-east London, by brothers Pete and John Cruickshank. McPhee pushed the band into a more blues-influenced direction, as he explained: “We went into R&B and then into blues very deeply – to the extent that I spent most of my time delving into books and records to find material which hadn’t been done by any of the other English bands.”

Thank Christ for the Bomb (1970) was the third album by blues-rockers the Groundhogs, and the first of a trio of releases that reached the UK Top 10. For some connoisseurs, it is an all-time classic and proof of the brilliance of Tony McPhee, the band’s songwriter and guitarist who has died aged 79.

I'm listening to the video in that obituary right now. He could play.

McPhee died at 79 so he's worth 46 Base Points for @JustOneCornetto, with a Solo Shot taking that to 96 points in total.

========

Up next week, noted bigot Pat Roberston: Pat Robertson obituary | Evangelical Christianity | The Guardian

There's a lot I could say here about evangelical Christianity. I could mention how he once called Scotland a "dark country overrun with homosexuals." I could be here a while, and if he was the only death this week I might. But I will share this, which I found amusing:

More controversial than Regent was his international humanitarian charity Operation Blessing. In 1994, it was claimed in his local newspaper, the Virginian-Pilot, that Robertson’s impassioned fundraising for Operation Blessing’s refugee airlift in Rwanda and Zaire was at least partly a cover for the use of his aircraft to transport diamond-mining equipment for the Robertson-owned African Development Corporation. A long investigation by Virginia’s Office of Consumer Affairs recommended Robertson be prosecuted for fraud, but the state’s attorney general, Mark Earley, brought no charges against him. The George W Bush administration made Operation Blessing the second-largest recipient of federal relief funds in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina, which was seen in some quarters as payback for Robertson’s support.

In 2003, Robertson used The 700 Club as a platform to argue on behalf of the Liberian president Charles Taylor, who had been indicted by the UN for war crimes. It emerged that Robertson had an investment in a Liberian gold mine, which he claimed was intended to help pay for Operation Blessing’s humanitarian efforts in the country, but which was allowed to go bankrupt after Taylor’s departure from office.

Robertson died at 93, so he's worth 32 Base Points, with a Deadly Duo bonus taking that to 57 for @Savage Henry and @Shotgun

========

Finally this week, mathematician Ted Kaczynski: 'Unabomber' Ted Kaczynski found dead in US prison cell | US News | Sky News

'Unabomber' Theodore "Ted" Kaczynski - who waged a 17-year bombing campaign before evading capture for two decades - has been found dead in his prison cell.

The 81-year-old was given the name by the FBI after his actions caused the death of three people and injured 23 others.

The Harvard-educated mathematician has been locked up since May 1998, when he was sentenced to four life sentences, plus 30 years for the campaign of terror that set universities nationwide on edge.

He admitted to committing 16 bombings from 1978 and 1995, permanently maiming several of his victims.

In 1995, The Washington Post, in conjunction with The New York Times, published his 35,000-word manifesto, which claimed modern society and technology were leading to a sense of powerlessness and alienation.

But it was this that led to his undoing.

Kaczynski's brother David and David's wife, Linda Patrik, recognised the tone and tipped off the FBI.

Interestingly, when news of his death broke on twitter the other day there was a significant amount of people posting things like #RIPKing. I know social media has long since left its post-irony phase, but there's something very ironic about someone who rejected modern society and was apparently banned from using the internet being re-evaluated - rightly or wrongly - like this. His WIkipedia article is worth a read, as is this: Death of Unabomber returns spotlight to Harvard mind-control study - The Washington Post

Kaczynski died at 81 so he's worth 44 Base Points for @Arabdownunder, @chomp my root and @djchapsticks.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. JustOneCornetto 405
2. Arbroathlegend36-0 230
3. buddiepaul 226
4. The Naitch 208
5. LoonsYouthTeam 187
6. psv_killie 185
7. Arabdownunder 178
8. D.V.T., microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 166
13. peasy23 165
14. The DA 153
15. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
17. Karpaty Lviv 145
18. Sweaty Morph 140
19. get_the_subbies_on 138
20. Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly 134
25. Ludo*1 133
26. Donathan 121
27. Bert Raccoon, chompmyroot, Savage Henry, tamthebam 111
31. Arch Stanton, mozam76 101
32. Lofarl, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig 99
36. Aim Here, Oystercatcher, weemac 97
39. Ray Patterson 96
40. Moomintroll 93
41. Miguel Sanchez 87
42. ParsJake 86
43. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88 84
47. blackislekillie, Herc 74
49. ICTJohnboy 69
50. paulathame 68
51. atfccfc, DG.Roma, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, lolls, thistledo 67
59. HTG 66
60. Shotgun 57
61. sleazy 55
62. Empty It, The Hologram 48
64. djchapsticks 44
65. DeeTillEhDeh, Jimmy Baker 42
67. 10menwent2mow, dagane, dee_62, Enigma, Melanius Mullarkay, parxyz, Scorge, scottsdad, senorsoupe, superwell87, Suspect Device 32
78. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, stanton 31
83. BillyAnchor, German Jag, superbigal 29
86. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 23 update

Three deaths this week of varying levels of sympathy on offer. Up first, guitarist Tony McPhee: Tony McPhee obituary | Pop and rock | The Guardian

I'm listening to the video in that obituary right now. He could play.

McPhee died at 79 so he's worth 46 Base Points for @JustOneCornetto, with a Solo Shot taking that to 96 points in total.

========

Up next week, noted bigot Pat Roberston: Pat Robertson obituary | Evangelical Christianity | The Guardian

There's a lot I could say here about evangelical Christianity. I could mention how he once called Scotland a "dark country overrun with homosexuals." I could be here a while, and if he was the only death this week I might. But I will share this, which I found amusing:

Robertson died at 93, so he's worth 32 Base Points, with a Deadly Duo bonus taking that to 57 for @Savage Henry and @Shotgun

========

Finally this week, mathematician Ted Kaczynski: 'Unabomber' Ted Kaczynski found dead in US prison cell | US News | Sky News

Interestingly, when news of his death broke on twitter the other day there was a significant amount of people posting things like #RIPKing. I know social media has long since left its post-irony phase, but there's something very ironic about someone who rejected modern society and was apparently banned from using the internet being re-evaluated - rightly or wrongly - like this. His WIkipedia article is worth a read, as is this: Death of Unabomber returns spotlight to Harvard mind-control study - The Washington Post

Kaczynski died at 81 so he's worth 44 Base Points for @Arabdownunder, @chomp my root and @djchapsticks.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. JustOneCornetto 405
2. Arbroathlegend36-0 230
3. buddiepaul 226
4. The Naitch 208
5. LoonsYouthTeam 187
6. psv_killie 185
7. Arabdownunder 174
8. microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 166
12. peasy23 165
13. D.V.T. 164
14. The DA 153
15. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
17. Karpaty Lviv 145
18. Sweaty Morph 140
19. get_the_subbies_on 138
20. Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly 134
25. Ludo*1 133
26. Donathan 121
27. Bert Raccoon, chompmyroot, Savage Henry, tamthebam 111
31. Arch Stanton, mozam76 101
32. Lofarl, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig 99
36. Aim Here, Oystercatcher, weemac 97
39. Ray Patterson 96
40. Moomintroll 93
41. Miguel Sanchez 87
42. ParsJake 86
43. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88 84
47. blackislekillie, Herc 74
49. ICTJohnboy 69
50. paulathame 68
51. atfccfc, DG.Roma, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, lolls, thistledo 67
59. HTG 66
60. Shotgun 57
61. sleazy 55
62. Empty It, The Hologram 48
64. djchapsticks 44
65. DeeTillEhDeh, Jimmy Baker 42
67. 10menwent2mow, dagane, dee_62, Enigma, Melanius Mullarkay, parxyz, Scorge, scottsdad, senorsoupe, superwell87, Suspect Device 32
78. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, stanton 31
83. BillyAnchor, German Jag, superbigal 29
86. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

Two small errors in the scoring, by my reckoning. Arabdownunder should be on 178 not 174, and D.V.T. should be on 166 not 164. Both appear to be arithmetic errors.