The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

Week 11 update

A big hand to Aim Here for bringing this one to my attention. Japanese writer Kenzaburo Oe: Kenzaburo Oe, Nobel prize-winning Japanese writer, dies aged 88 | Books | The Guardian

Kenzaburo Oe, a giant of Japanese writing and winner of the Nobel prize in literature, has died aged 88.

Spanning fiction and essays, Oe’s work tackled a wide range of subjects from militarism and nuclear disarmament to innocence and trauma, and he became an outspoken champion for the voiceless in the face of what he regarded as his country’s failures. Regarded by some in Japan as distinctly western, Oe’s style was often likened to William Faulkner; in his own words, in his writing he would “start from my personal matters and then link it up with society, the state and the world”.

Many of his stories and essays touched on formative events in his life, including the impact of war on Japanese society in novels such as The Silent Cry – which the Nobel committee deemed his masterpiece – and the birth of his son Hikari, which led him to explore his own experience as the father of a disabled child in the novels A Personal Matter and A Quiet Life.

Oe is the second Nobel laureate I've posted about despite not actually having read any of his work. I'll avoid this by doing what I did with Toni Morrison, posting his speech:

Oe died at 88 so he's worth 37 Base Points for me. I also get a Solo Shot for a total of 87 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. JustOneCornetto 255
2. The Naitch 208
3. Arbroathlegend36-0 198
4. buddiepaul 194
5. LoonsYouthTeam 187
6. psv_killie 185
7. peasy23 165
8. The DA 153
9. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
11. Karpaty Lviv 145
12. Sweaty Morph 140
13. get_the_subbies_on 138
14. Arabdownunder, Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, D.V.T., Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly, microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 134
25. Arch Stanton, Ludo*1, mozam76 101
28. Miguel Sanchez 87
29. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88 84
33. tamthebam 77
34. ICTJohnboy 69
35. paulathame 68
36. atfccfc, chomp my root, DG.Roma, Donathan, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, Lofarl, lolls, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig, thistledo 67
50. sleazy 55
51. Aim Here 43
52. Bodie, Melanius Mullarkay, Suspect Device 32
55. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, Oystercatcher, stanton 31
61. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

52 minutes ago, Venti said:

John McClane not looking too good.

Knew he had aphasia but didn't realise he'd been diagnosed with FTD as well.

He's on my list for that reason, but while there's a few on there I won't be sorry to see go, he's not one of them.