The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

Week 21 update

Three deaths. First is a bit of housekeeping - @Suspect Device's pick Lester Sterling died. No obituary. Go obscure, don't go that obscure.

=========

Up next, Tina Turner: Tina Turner obituary | Pop and rock | The Guardian

There's no way I'm going to be able to sum up her life in the handful of lines I usually quote. That said, I did find this amusing:

The album Foreign Affair (1989) sold 6m copies and generated another trademark anthem, The Best, which was subsequently used to add oomph to numerous TV commercials and adopted both by the tennis ace Martina Navratilova and the racing driver Ayrton Senna.

As we all know, these are the only sporting contexts where this song was ever played. While I'm here, I'm listening to River Deep Mountain High. I've never heard it before. It's alright.

Tina died at 83, so she's worth 42 Base Points for @blackislekillie, @DeeTillEhDeh, @Jimmy Baker and @Marlo Stanfield.

=========

Finally this week, a death that apparently happened on the 10th, Rolf Harris: Rolf Harris obituary | Television & radio | The Guardian

“I arrived in the UK on a boat in 1952 at the age of 22, with nothing but a load of self confidence,” he wrote in his 2001 autobiography, Can You Tell What It Is Yet?

“As a musician, singer and songwriter, I have had No 1 hits and taken pop festivals by storm; as a television presenter, I have been awarded the MBE and voted TV personality of the year; and as an artist I have had pictures exhibited by the Royal Academy. People who are now parents and grandparents grew up watching me on TV singing Jake the Peg, doing vast drawings with a fat felt-tip pen, blowing the didgeridoo and wobbling a piece of hardboard. Children today know me as the man who worries about cats with broken legs, and ferrets with flu, on the BBC’s Animal Hospital. Touching so many people’s lives has been a huge thrill.”

Lots to say about him, but it's interesting to see how people sum themselves up.

Harris died at 93, so he's worth 32 Base Points. 28 people picked him, spread out as follows:

Base Points (32): @10menwent2mow, @Arbroathlegend36-0, @Bert Raccoon, @blackislekillie, @buddiepaul, @dagane@dee_62, @D.V.T. @Enigma, @HTG, @Lofarl, @Ludo*1, @Michael W, @microdave, @Oystercatcher, @parxyz, @pub car king, @qos_75, @Scorge, @scottsdad, @senorsoupe, @superwell87, @The_Craig, @throbber and @weirdcal

Vice-Captain (48): @Empty It@The Hologram

Captain (64): @Moomintroll

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. JustOneCornetto 309
2. Arbroathlegend36-0 230
3. buddiepaul 226
4. The Naitch 208
5. LoonsYouthTeam 187
6. psv_killie 185
7. microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 166
11. peasy23 165
12. D.V.T. 164
13. The DA 153
14. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
16. Karpaty Lviv 145
17. Sweaty Morph 140
18. get_the_subbies_on 138
19. Arabdownunder, Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly 134
25. Ludo*1 133
26. Donathan 121
27. tamthebam 111
28. Arch Stanton, mozam76 101
30. Lofarl, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig 99
34. Aim Here, Oystercatcher, weemac 97
37. Ray Patterson 96
38. Moomintroll 93
39. Miguel Sanchez 87
40. ParsJake 86
41. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88 84
45. blackislekillie, Marlo Stanfield 74
47. ICTJohnboy 69
48. paulathame 68
49. atfccfc, chomp my root, DG.Roma, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, lolls, thistledo 67
58. HTG 66
59. sleazy 55
60. Savage Henry 54
61. Empty It, The Hologram 48
63. DeeTillEhDeh, Jimmy Baker 42
65. 10menwent2mow, Bert Raccoon, dagane, dee_62, Enigma, Melanius Mullarkay, parxyz, Scorge, scottsdad, senorsoupe, superwell87, Suspect Device 32
77. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, stanton 31
82. BillyAnchor, German Jag, superbigal 29
85. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

My mouse is sort of useless but I think I've got everyone on the list. 

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Didn't think The Skatalites were that obscure. I was wrong. Lesson learned for next year.

On the plus side, @Sergeant Wilson owes me a pound. If I'd taken his bet.

I'm a bit surprised too mate. I'd have bet my right bollock that Julie Strain would have got a qualifying obit a couple years back. Its a funny old game and all that.

5 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Didn't think The Skatalites were that obscure. I was wrong. Lesson learned for next year.

On the plus side, @Sergeant Wilson owes me a pound. If I'd taken his bet.

They weren’t…the BBC did an obit in 2012 for Lloyd Brevett, but none now…

9 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 21 update

Three deaths. First is a bit of housekeeping - @Suspect Device's pick Lester Sterling died. No obituary. Go obscure, don't go that obscure.

=========

Up next, Tina Turner: Tina Turner obituary | Pop and rock | The Guardian

There's no way I'm going to be able to sum up her life in the handful of lines I usually quote. That said, I did find this amusing:

As we all know, these are the only sporting contexts where this song was ever played. While I'm here, I'm listening to River Deep Mountain High. I've never heard it before. It's alright.

Tina died at 83, so she's worth 42 Base Points for @blackislekillie, @DeeTillEhDeh, @Jimmy Baker and @Marlo Stanfield.

=========

Finally this week, a death that apparently happened on the 10th, Rolf Harris: Rolf Harris obituary | Television & radio | The Guardian

Lots to say about him, but it's interesting to see how people sum themselves up.

Harris died at 93, so he's worth 32 Base Points. 28 people picked him, spread out as follows:

Base Points (32): @10menwent2mow, @Arbroathlegend36-0, @Bert Raccoon, @blackislekillie, @buddiepaul, @dee_62, @D.V.T. @Enigma, @HTG, @Lofarl, @Ludo*1, @Michael W, @microdave, @Oystercatcher, @parxyz, @pub car king, @qos_75, @Scorge, @scottsdad, @senorsoupe, @superwell87, @The_Craig, @throbber and @weirdcal

Vice-Captain (48): @Empty It@The Hologram

Captain (64): @Moomintroll

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. JustOneCornetto 309
2. Arbroathlegend36-0 230
3. buddiepaul 226
4. The Naitch 208
5. LoonsYouthTeam 187
6. psv_killie 185
7. microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 166
11. peasy23 165
12. D.V.T. 164
13. The DA 153
14. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
16. Karpaty Lviv 145
17. Sweaty Morph 140
18. get_the_subbies_on 138
19. Arabdownunder, Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly 134
25. Ludo*1 133
26. Donathan 121
27. tamthebam 111
28. Arch Stanton, mozam76 101
30. Lofarl, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig 99
34. Aim Here, Oystercatcher, weemac 97
37. Ray Patterson 96
38. Moomintroll 93
39. Miguel Sanchez 87
40. ParsJake 86
41. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88 84
45. blackislekillie, Marlo Stanfield 74
47. ICTJohnboy 69
48. paulathame 68
49. atfccfc, chomp my root, DG.Roma, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, lolls, thistledo 67
58. HTG 66
59. sleazy 55
60. Savage Henry 54
61. Empty It, The Hologram 48
63. DeeTillEhDeh, Jimmy Baker 42
65. 10menwent2mow, Bert Raccoon, dagane, dee_62, Enigma, Melanius Mullarkay, parxyz, Scorge, scottsdad, senorsoupe, superwell87, Suspect Device 32
77. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, stanton 31
82. BillyAnchor, German Jag, superbigal 29
85. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

My mouse is sort of useless but I think I've got everyone on the list. 

Dammit ,you forgot me ,this is the earliest I've ever had points hanx to this aul ragamuffin😉

16 hours ago, dagane said:

Dammit ,you forgot me ,this is the earliest I've ever had points hanx to this aul ragamuffin😉

I actually managed to include you in the scoring, just not in the tags. It was just a test to make sure you were paying attention.

On 23/05/2023 at 09:20, Arch Stanton said:

Alastair "Algy" Ward, former bass player with The Damned gone at 63.

Very sad news. Was reading up on him last week and was shocked to find he'd died a few days beforehand. Time to pick up the Tank back catalogue.

My joint favourite Damned song, along with "Nasty", which sent me on a lifelong journey down the rabbit hole of punk/HC after seeing it on The Young Ones.. Algy absolutely steals the show here with his facial expressions. 😆

Edited by ParsJake

28 minutes ago, ParsJake said:

Very sad news. Was reading up on him last week and was shocked to find he'd died a few days beforehand. Time to pick up the Tank back catalogue.

My joint favourite Damned song, along with "Nasty", which sent me on a lifelong journey down the rabbit hole of punk/HC after seeing it on The Young Ones.. Algy absolutely steals the show here with his facial expressions. 😆

That's a shame I seen them in one of his first gigs in Nottingham Sandpiper club in 1979. Which reminds me my first ever gig anniversary was last week. The Stranglers at the Apollo 26 May 1978. Support band was The Skids a fair number of that bill are deid as well.

16 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's a shame I seen them in one of his first gigs in Nottingham Sandpiper club in 1979. Which reminds me my first ever gig anniversary was last week. The Stranglers at the Apollo 26 May 1978. Support band was The Skids a fair number of that bill are deid as well.

^^^ first ever gig was actually Showaddywaddy but trying to gain street cred

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

^^^ first ever gig was actually Showaddywaddy but trying to gain street cred

I have a workmate who is a diehard punk who is now in his early 60s. He is quite proud of the fact that his first gig was Showaddywaddy at Leicester's De Montfort Hall.