The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Have You Ever been on this thread before? The puns don't have to be accurate.

I honestly thought that one would Bring the House Down

Is bring the house down an s club 7 song?

Week 14 update

Two deaths this week. Up first, Japanese musician Ryuchi Sakamoto: Ryuichi Sakamoto obituary | Music | The Guardian

The musician Ryuichi Sakamoto, who has died aged 71 of cancer, spent his life as a restless traveller, both personally and musically. “I was born in Japan but I don’t think I’m Japanese,” he said in 1988, two years before he moved to New York. “To be a stranger – I like that attitude. I don’t like nationalities and borders.”

A founder member of Tokyo’s pioneering computer-pop trio Yellow Magic Orchestra, whose work between 1978 and 1984 has proved a lasting influence on hip-hop and electronica, Sakamoto was able to combine his skills as an academically trained musician with an aptitude for electronic music and an ear for countless musical styles. He sustained a lengthy partnership with the British musician David Sylvian after first working with his band Japan on the track Taking Islands in Africa from the album Gentlemen Take Polaroids (1980), following which the duo collaborated on the double A-side Bamboo Houses/Bamboo Music (1982).

In 1983, Sakamoto achieved a peak of commercial visibility by not only writing the soundtrack for Nagisa Oshima’s film Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence, but also co-starring in it (as Captain Yonoi) with David Bowie. The soundtrack, which won him a Bafta for best film music, contained the Sakamoto/Sylvian composition Forbidden Colours, a vocal version of the film’s main theme, which was a Top 20 hit in Britain.

I was reading about Sakamoto after he died and I haven't knowingly heard of any of these films or music. After looking up Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence I'm still getting nothing. Here's what his name means to me.

Sakamoto died at 71, so he's worth 54 Base Points for @Aim Here, @Donathan, @JustOneCornetto and @Savage Henry.

===============

Second death this week was former Chancellor of the Exchequer, Nigel Lawson: Nigel Lawson obituary | Politics past | The Guardian

He had joined the government as financial secretary to the Treasury when Thatcher formed her first government in 1979 and had already made his mark in that post by abolishing exchange control, doubling VAT and introducing the Medium Term Financial Strategy.

As a radical tax-reforming chancellor in pursuit of monetarist policies alongside a massive programme of privatisation and deregulation that helped emasculate the trade union movement, he won praise but not popularity, respect but not regard, from his Conservative colleagues.

It mattered little to him. His fierce intellectual approach to all aspects of policy meant that he always gave a higher priority to achieving his aims than to what others thought. His indifference to opposing points of view was often interpreted as arrogance, but in reality his personal convictions were such that he was simply not prepared to submit himself to what he saw as the indignities his fellow politicians endured in pursuit of public approbation.

“A popular chancellor is not doing his job,” he said once. He believed that a politician who was confident enough to be able to face a barrage of hostility was someone who could make things happen.

Let's see:

• Thatcher's chancellor
  • Leave voter
  • "His main interest, however, was a campaign to counter the case for global heating. He set up a thinktank, the Global Warming Policy Foundation, designed to challenge international attempts to mitigate the impacts of global heating. Lawson claimed that economic growth should not be slowed down to prevent a possible eventuality, but that policy should be made pragmatically in response to what had already happened."
  • Called his daughter "Nigella"

Hmm. Lawson died at 91 so he's worth 34 Base Points for @HTG, @Oystercatcher and @tamthebam.

As a result of these, the standings look like this:

1. JustOneCornetto 309
2. The Naitch 208
3. Arbroathlegend36-0 198
4. buddiepaul 194
5. LoonsYouthTeam 187
6. psv_killie 185
7. peasy23 165
8. The DA 153
9. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
11. Karpaty Lviv 145
12. Sweaty Morph 140
13. get_the_subbies_on 138
14. Arabdownunder, Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, D.V.T., Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly, microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 134
25. Donathan 121
26. tamthebam 111
27. Arch Stanton, Ludo*1, mozam76 101
30. Aim Here 97
31. Miguel Sanchez 87
32. George Cowley, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88 84
36. ICTJohnboy 69
37. paulathame 68
38. atfccfc, chomp my root, DG.Roma, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, Lofarl, lolls, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig, thistledo 67
51. Oystercatcher 65
52. sleazy 55
53. Savage Henry 54
54. HTG 34
55. Bodie, Melanius Mullarkay, Suspect Device 32
58. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, stanton 31
63. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing