The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

14 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Phil Collins is "immobile" according to Mike Rutherford.

I can feel it coming in the air...in the next fortnight.

Another one for the "oops I forgot to put him in" list 😬 

Week 10 update

One death this week, the actor Chaim Topol: Chaim Topol: Fiddler on the Roof star dies aged 87 - BBC News

The actor Chaim Topol, best known for his portrayal of milkman Tevye in Fiddler On The Roof, has died at the age of 87, Israel's president has said.

His death was confirmed by President Isaac Herzog, who described Topol as "one of the giants of Israeli culture".

Topol was Oscar nominated for his all-singing performance in the 1971 film adaptation of the musical.

His other famous film role included in Flash Gordon, Follow Me, and the James Bond film For Your Eyes Only.

Herzog described Topol, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease several years ago, as "a gifted actor who conquered many stages in Israel and overseas, filled the cinema screens with his presence and above all entered deep into our hearts".

The actor, singer and illustrator, he added, had "represented us with great respect".

Also worth nothing: Topol would play the part more than 3,500 times, he once claimed, on stages around the world from the late 1960s until 2009.

That's a lot of fiddling.

Topol died at 87 so he's worth 38 Base Points for @Arbroathlegend36-0 with a Solo Shot taking that to 88 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. JustOneCornetto 255
2. The Naitch 208
3. Arbroathlegend36-0 198

4. buddiepaul 194
5. LoonsYouthTeam 187
6. psv_killie 185
7. peasy23 165
8. The DA 153
9. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
11. Karpaty Lviv 145
12. Sweaty Morph 140
13. get_the_subbies_on 138
14. Arabdownunder, Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, D.V.T., Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly, microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 134
25. Arch Stanton, Ludo*1, mozam76 101
28. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88 84
32. tamthebam 77
33. ICTJohnboy 69
34. paulathame 68
35. atfccfc, chomp my root, DG.Roma, Donathan, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, Lofarl, lolls, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig, thistledo 67
49. sleazy 55
50. Aim Here 43
51. Bodie, Melanius Mullarkay, Suspect Device 32
54. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, Oystercatcher, stanton 31
60. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 10 update

One death this week, the actor Chaim Topol: Chaim Topol: Fiddler on the Roof star dies aged 87 - BBC News

Also worth nothing: Topol would play the part more than 3,500 times, he once claimed, on stages around the world from the late 1960s until 2009.

That's a lot of fiddling.

Topol died at 87 so he's worth 38 Base Points for @Arbroathlegend36-0 with a Solo Shot taking that to 88 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. JustOneCornetto 255
2. The Naitch 208
3. Arbroathlegend36-0 198

4. buddiepaul 194
5. LoonsYouthTeam 187
6. psv_killie 185
7. peasy23 165
8. The DA 153
9. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
11. Karpaty Lviv 145
12. Sweaty Morph 140
13. get_the_subbies_on 138
14. Arabdownunder, Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, D.V.T., Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly, microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 134
25. Arch Stanton, Ludo*1, mozam76 101
28. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88 84
32. tamthebam 77
33. ICTJohnboy 69
34. paulathame 68
35. atfccfc, chomp my root, DG.Roma, Donathan, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, Lofarl, lolls, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig, thistledo 67
49. sleazy 55
50. Aim Here 43
51. Bodie, Melanius Mullarkay, Suspect Device 32
54. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, Oystercatcher, stanton 31
60. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

Would be interested in a hard disk search of the leader to see if they have some sort of a database they maintain of aging starts and celebrities with a cross indexed measure of expectation that anyone else might select them.

Jerry Samuels aka Napoleon XIV taken away at 84

Jerry Samuels, who as “Napoleon XIV” wrote and recorded one of pop music’s most unusual hit singles, 1966’s “They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!,” died today (March 10, 2023). Samuels, 84, had operated a Philadelphia-based talent agency for the past four decades. News of his passing was shared by his wife, Bobbie Samuels, on her Facebook page. “My friends,” she wrote, “Jerry died early this morning. He was my rock and the greatest love of my life. He taught me to be strong.”

Samuels, born May 3, 1938, was a recording engineer in New York City. He came up with an idea: a song about a poor guy who’s so distraught over his girlfriend leaving him that he’s driven to madness. He took on the name Napoleon XIV, credited his composition to N. Bonaparte and somehow got Warner Bros. Records to agree to release it in July 1966. With only a snare drum and a tambourine as accompaniment, Samuels recites—never sings—his tale of woe.

“They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!” was, by any measure, one of the most bizarre records to come out in any year. It took off like, well, like crazy, reaching #3 in the U.S. and #4 in the U.K. It’s available digitally here.

The single’s B-side was “!aaaH-aH ,yawA eM ekaT ot gnimoC er’yehT,” the same recording played backwards.

A few years earlier, Sammy Davis Jr. earned a #1 R&B / #17 pop hit with a Samuels composition, “The Shelter of Your Arms.”

As Napoleon XIV, Samuels was a one-hit wonder, though his 1966 single lived on largely via airplay from novelty record aficionado Dr. Demento, who included it on many compilation albums. There was actually a Napoleon XIV album, which did not chart (it included an answer song, “I’m Happy They Took You Away, Ha-Haaa!” by “Josephine XV”), numerous cover versions and, in 1988, a sequel by Samuels, “They’re Coming To Get Me Again, Ha Haaa!”