The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

14 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

" I guess you play a lot of video games" when you scored your sixth or seventh goal on Fifa 94 or something (the one with the isometric pitch and the indoor five a sides). Kind of shattered the illusion when everything else was about making it as realistic as possible.

That's the part that shattered the illusion in a 1994 video game? 

51 minutes ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Film producer Walter Mirisch dead at 101, solo hit for me once he gets a qualifying obit

Somebody I’ve never heard of (not at all unusual) but a quick bit of Googling suggests it may be more likely an ‘if’ rather than ‘once’? 

Week 8 update

I'm going to be here a while. First up this week is French Resistance fighter Simone Segouin: Simone Segouin, French Resistance fighter celebrated as ‘The Girl Partisan of Chartres’ – obituary (telegraph.co.uk)

Simone Segouin, who has died aged 97, was a French Resistance fighter who was immortalised in photographs taken by Robert Capa and became a symbol of female defiance.

She was born into a farming family on October 3 1925, in Thivars, near Chartres, a tomboyish only daughter with three brothers, and was largely brought up by her father, a decorated veteran of the First World War.

When Germany invaded France in 1940 the 14-year-old Simone left school to work on the family farm, and in 1943 she joined the Francs-Tireurs et Partisans (FTP - "Free-shooters and Partisans") – an alliance of militant communists and nationalists like Simone.

She was given false identity papers as Nicole Minet from Dunkirk (where records had been destroyed in the bombing at the start of the war, making it difficult to check details on identity cards).

On her first mission she stole a German military bicycle, which she re-sprayed as her “reconnaissance vehicle”, and was soon involved in delivering messages between FTP hide-outs.

Then, after weapons training, she was taking part in combat missions, helping to derail a train and blow up bridges. Asked after the war whether she had ever killed someone, she recalled that on July 14 1944 she and two comrades had taken part in an ambush: “Two German soldiers went by on a bike, and the three of us fired at the same time, so I don’t know who exactly killed them.”

Sounds like not a bad life. Born on a farm, spend your formative years running around in shorts shooting Nazis - what more could you ask for?

Segouin died at 97 so she's worth 28 Base Points for @Karpaty Lviv - with a Solo Shot taking that to 78 points.

===============

Up next this week was the ubiquitous "Thatcher lackey" Bernard Ingham: Sir Bernard Ingham obituary | Conservatives | The Guardian

As Margaret Thatcher’s devoted and indispensable (her words) chief press secretary for 11 years, the rumbustious Sir Bernard Ingham, who has died aged 90, was central to both the style and success of the Thatcher revolution. Acknowledged as the strongest figure to have done the job since the 1930s, Ingham moved to centralise the direction of government information, often to the discomfort of departmental ministers. This change, inevitable with the growth in electronic communications, was built on by the Blair government, although Ingham would claim that he was never involved in policymaking like Tony Blair’s director of communications and strategy, Alastair Campbell.

The clue to Ingham’s bond with Thatcher was that both saw themselves as outsiders against the establishment and, as she put it, “neither of us are smooth people”. He was well known for his choleric temperament, which could turn an already ruddy face bright red, for his almost blind loyalty to those he worked for (and to some degree those he picked to work under him) plus a capacity to undertake – and create – huge amounts of work.

The son of Labour-supporting Yorkshire weavers, Garnet and Alice Ingham, Bernard was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and brought up in Hebden Bridge, the town, he claimed, closest to heaven. His father became its first Labour councillor and the young Bernard was secretary of the League of Labour Youth. After the trauma of his unexpected failure at his 11-plus, his parents paid for a place at the local grammar. At 16, he answered an advertisement for a reporter on the local weekly newspaper, the Hebden Bridge Times.

Not being born until he had left office I can't really offer a personal assessment of Ingham's time in parliament. There's a strange dichotomy when you read about ministers from this time, where they're unquestionably evil based on the things they're doing or enabling, yet they're clearly more competent, honourable and decent than just about anyone who followed them. We're all fucked.

Ingham died at 90 so he's worth 35 Base Points for @The Naitch - a Solo Shot bonus taking that to 85 points.

===============

Up next this week, sport man Dickie Davies: Dickie Davies obituary | Sport | The Guardian

As the unflappable presenter of World of Sport for almost two decades, Dickie Davies, who has died aged 94, was distinctive for the white quiff in his fringe and a name that stuck in people’s minds.

In 1965 when he first filled in as the summer replacement for Eamonn Andrews on ITV’s Saturday afternoon answer to the BBC’s Grandstand, he was billed as Richard Davies. Three years after taking over as the regular presenter in 1968, he was given some advice by Jimmy Hill, the football player and manager-turned-TV executive who was head of sport at LWT, which produced the programme.

“My wife called me Dickie but, in the television world, it was considered Richard sounded much more proper,” recalled Davies. “On our way to a game of golf one day, Jimmy said, ‘Why don’t you just tell them you want to be known as Dickie?’ The difference it made was phenomenal.”

Hill completed the transformation by encouraging Davies to wear the dapper suits for which he was known off screen and to grow a moustache and sideburns. Over the next 17 years, until World of Sport was axed in 1985, these attributes – combined with a beaming smile – made Davies one of TV’s most recognisable stars. Later, hosting programmes on single sports events, he donned his tuxedo to present the richest fight in boxing history, Marvin Hagler v Sugar Ray Leonard, from Las Vegas (1987).

This is also extremely worth watching:

I've done the bit where I opine about ubiquitous figures on the television for a long time, but reading about ITV's sports coverage of this time really exemplifies what I mean. How many people are there now in sports media who you could reasonably expect to present something for decades that everyone can watch? Will whoever replaces Lineker on Match of the Day be there as long as him? Will the increasing amount of money in top level sport allow events to be on free to air television forever? Will the increased ease of internet broadcasting for niche interests ever provide the exposure and audience growth that something like World of Sport did? 

Davies died at 94 so he's worth 31 Base Points for @Sweaty Morph and @The Naitch with a Deadly Duo giving them 56 points each.

===============

Final death this week, as you can see above, is film producer Walter Mirisch. He died two days ago and there are no qualifying obituaries yet. 

I think that's everything. After all of that, and until or if there's a Mirisch obituary, the standings look like this:

1. The Naitch 208
2. buddiepaul 194
3. psv_killie 185
4. JustOneCornetto 181
5. peasy23 165
6. The DA 153
7. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
9. Karpaty Lviv 145
10. Sweaty Morph 140
11. get_the_subbies_on 138
12. Arabdownunder, Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, D.V.T., Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly, microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 134
23. Arbroathlegend36-0 110
24. Arch Stanton, LoonsYouthTeam, Ludo*1, mozam76 101
28. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88 84
32. ICTJohnboy 69
33. paulathame 68
34. atfccfc, chomp my root, DG.Roma, Donathan, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, Lofarl, lolls, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig, thistledo 67
48. sleazy 55
49. Aim Here 43
50. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, Oystercatcher, stanton 31
56. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 8 update

I'm going to be here a while. First up this week is French Resistance fighter Simone Segouin: Simone Segouin, French Resistance fighter celebrated as ‘The Girl Partisan of Chartres’ – obituary (telegraph.co.uk)

Sounds like not a bad life. Born on a farm, spend your formative years running around in shorts shooting Nazis - what more could you ask for?

Segouin died at 97 so she's worth 28 Base Points for @Karpaty Lviv - with a Solo Shot taking that to 78 points.

===============

Up next this week was the ubiquitous "Thatcher lackey" Bernard Ingham: Sir Bernard Ingham obituary | Conservatives | The Guardian

Not being born until he had left office I can't really offer a personal assessment of Ingham's time in parliament. There's a strange dichotomy when you read about ministers from this time, where they're unquestionably evil based on the things they're doing or enabling, yet they're clearly more competent, honourable and decent than just about anyone who followed them. We're all fucked.

Ingham died at 91 so he's worth 34 Base Points for @The Naitch - a Solo Shot bonus taking that to 84 points.

===============

Final death this week, as you can see above, is film producer Walter Mirisch. He died two days ago and there are no qualifying obituaries yet. 

I think that's everything. After all of that, and until or if there's a Mirisch obituary, the standings look like this:

1. buddiepaul 194
2. psv_killie 185
3. JustOneCornetto 181
4. peasy23 165
5. The DA 153
6. Desp, Ned Nederlander, The Naitch 151
9. Karpaty Lviv 145
10. get_the_subbies_on 138
11. Arabdownunder, Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, D.V.T., Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly, microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 134
22. Arbroathlegend36-0 110
23. Arch Stanton, LoonsYouthTeam, Ludo*1, mozam76 101
27. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88, Sweaty Morph 84
32. ICTJohnboy 69
33. paulathame 68
34. atfccfc, chomp my root, DG.Roma, Donathan, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, Lofarl, lolls, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig, thistledo 67
48. sleazy 55
49. Aim Here 43
50. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, Oystercatcher, stanton 31
56. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

By my reckoning, Ingham is 90 years old, not 91, and The Naitch should also have points for Dickie Davies, as should Sweaty Morph