The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

On 21/01/2023 at 21:00, tamthebam said:

Radical Political Theorist and good guy Tom Nairn at 90.

Quote: "Scotland will never truly be free until the last Minister is strangled with the last copy of the Sunday Post"

Better late than never from The Guardian. The BBC ? I'm not so sure..........................

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/10/tom-nairn-obituary

"Tom Nairn, who has died at the age of 90, was a political philosopher and major figure in the “new left” politics of the 1960s. Subsequently, his advocacy of nationalism as a progressive force gave him guru status within the nationalist movement in his native Scotland.

The journalist Neal Ascherson, his old friend, described Nairn’s as “the most forceful and original mind to confront, demask and anatomise the British state”, not least by promoting awareness that “Great Britain was a multinational state and not a united nation”.

Nairn’s best-known work, The Break-Up of Britain (1977), is a collection of essays written for the New Left Review over the preceding decade. They reflected Nairn’s basic contention that the British economy was hopelessly mired in its post-imperial inheritance and class-ridden social structures, which had, in turn, inhibited the working class’s revolutionary potential.

He was particularly disappointed in the English working class. This “titanic social force” thrown up by the Industrial Revolution had “quickly turned into an apparently docile class. It embraced one species of moderate reformism after another [and] became a consciously subordinate part of bourgeois society.”

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Week 6 update

One death this week, music man Burt Bacharach: Burt Bacharach obituary | Burt Bacharach | The Guardian

Few songwriters have been able to enjoy hits across six decades, as well as the bonus of a dramatic revival of interest in their work during the later years of their careers. Burt Bacharach, who has died aged 94, could claim both.

With his writing partner Hal David, Bacharach launched himself into the front rank of pop songwriters with a brilliant streak of hits for Dionne Warwick during the 1960s, beginning in 1962 with Don’t Make Me Over and proceeding through (among others) Walk on By, Anyone Who Had a Heart, I Say a Little Prayer, Trains and Boats and Planes, and Do You Know the Way to San Jose. All became standards in Bacharach’s chosen pop-easy-listening genre, their apparent simplicity concealing his mastery of different rhythms and metres.

He had soaked up the music of the jazz big bands and bebop, and also studied with the French composer Darius Milhaud, who urged his pupil to “never ever feel embarrassed or discomforted by a melody that people can remember or whistle”. Bacharach’s melodies were not only memorable but also frequently suffused with melancholy and regret. His gifts as an arranger allowed him to exploit all the resources of an orchestra with precision, and his use of plaintive “Bacharach trumpets” became a distinctive trademark.

Usually when someone dies I ponder how much of their music I've heard or films I've seen. Have you ever heard music? Well he probably wrote it. That's the conclusion I've drawn from reading about him the past few days. I did learn from that obituary that he was partly responsible for launching Cilla Black's musical career though, so he wasn't totally infallible. 

Bacharach died at 94, so he's worth 31 Base Points for @amnarab, @choirbairn, @expatowner, @Oystercatcher, @stanton and @Derry Alli.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. buddiepaul 194
2. psv_killie 185
3. JustOneCornetto 181
4. peasy23 165
5. The DA 153
6. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
8. Arabdownunder, Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, D.V.T., Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly, microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 134
19. Arbroathlegend36-0 110
20. Arch Stanton, LoonsYouthTeam, Ludo*1, mozam76 101
24. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88, Sweaty Morph 84
29. get_the_subbies_on 70
30. ICTJohnboy 69
31. atfccfc, chomp my root, DG.Roma, Donathan, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT,  Karpaty Lviv, lichtgilphead, Lofarl, lolls, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig, The Naitch, thistledo 67
47. sleazy 55
48. Aim Here 43
49. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, Oystercatcher, stanton 31
56. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 6 update

One death this week, music man Burt Bacharach: Burt Bacharach obituary | Burt Bacharach | The Guardian

Usually when someone dies I ponder how much of their music I've heard or films I've seen. Have you ever heard music? Well he probably wrote it. That's the conclusion I've drawn from reading about him the past few days. I did learn from that obituary that he was partly responsible for launching Cilla Black's musical career though, so he wasn't totally infallible. 

Bacharach died at 94, so he's worth 31 Base Points for @amnarab, @choirbairn, @expatowner, @Oystercatcher, @stanton and @Derry Alli.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. buddiepaul 194
2. psv_killie 185
3. JustOneCornetto 181
4. peasy23 165
5. The DA 153
6. Desp, Ned Nederlander 151
8. Arabdownunder, Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, D.V.T., Frosty, HK Hibee, Mark Connolly, microdave, qos_75, throbber, weirdcal 134
19. Arbroathlegend36-0 110
20. Arch Stanton, LoonsYouthTeam, Ludo*1, mozam76 101
24. alta-pete, Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, sparky88, Sweaty Morph 84
29. get_the_subbies_on 70
30. ICTJohnboy 69
31. atfccfc, chomp my root, DG.Roma, Donathan, Fuctifano, gkneil, HI HAT,  Karpaty Lviv, lichtgilphead, Lofarl, lolls, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig, The Naitch, thistledo 67
47. sleazy 55
48. Aim Here 43
49. amnarab, choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, Oystercatcher, stanton 31
56. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

Is it still possible to pin Aim Here’s spreadsheet version (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18i0Cn-E7CeVPRDDenTxHY3Og_zVa-tfYV42mid6WTpk/edit#gid=40344068) to the first page, Miguel? Failing that, perhaps a link or a note that it’s on page 15?