Queens v Kelty

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think we probably will finish effectively in mid table.

Missing out on even the play offs, however, is pretty unacceptable.

We are effectively hoping that Peterhead, Clyde and possibly Kelty don't improve massively, if we're relying on Gibson's squad to stay clear of the bottom two positions on their own ability (and his tactics) then I'm afraid we're in for a frustrating 2nd half of the season. 

I thought we liked a bit lop sided 1st half today, the Kelty right winger had acres if space down that side the whole time with only Hendrie defending (sic) on that side. Whoever was supposed to be playing in front of Hendrie was either not tracking back or had drifted into the middle. Also punting high balls up to Reilly and Paton was meat and drink for the Kelty defender who won almost every aerial battle. 

3 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Not sure how much more of this the dwindling Palmerston faithful can take. Apart from opening 10 minutes Kelty bossed that game and while they didn’t create much -we sat back and generally invited trouble. The first goal was a joke - aimless high ball with no pace on it to the far post that should 
have been easily dealt with - Austin somehow scoring in splendid isolation from virtually 3 yards out. 

Our Manager must have been the only person in the ground who failed to see how much we were struggling today. That fast attacking football that he promised is a distant memory - sitting deep at home against the 8th ranked team in League 1 is truly awful. No changes when they were needed at HT and this group of under-achievers folded like a “cheap suit” for the umpteenth time this season.

Winter clear out required and at least 5+ quality signings needed. Can Wullie be trusted to deliver a major turnaround??  I don’t think so as he can’t even recognise what a huge miss he is personally and the arrogance to think that we can somehow do without our best player on a weekly basis is frankly mind blowing.

I have never seen a squad so lacking in drive, grit and backbone. As soon as they face adversity in a game all heads go down in unison. There was nothing remotely unlucky in that defeat - Kelty were the better side and deserved to win.

I didn’t really think this season could get any worse but that defeat was horrendous and merely confirms that there are only a handful of this squad that I ever want to see in a Queens’ shirt again. If there was a painless way of terminating contracts prematurely in the forthcoming “window”then a mass clear out would be a great option.

Every word in this post is correct.

We are a club going nowhere but I don't see it changing soon.

Difficult and expensive to get rid of players easy  to get rid of a manager but again very costly.  I think we will just go on like this that is the easy option the board will take.

15 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Didn’t make game today as works day out but a superb result on the road , always said Cardle better coming on for last 30-20 to run at a shite defence , great to see Austin getting on the scoresheet , reliable source informing me Tidser back to best alongside Low (hope we can keep him ) Apart from QoS opening 25 mins they offered heehaw apparently 

2 fantastic league wins in a row and beating a more than decent Linfield last week bodes well for the league run in hopefully, just have to skelp the pars next week to ensure a braw xmas 

Mon Kelty 

Fixed that 

2 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Apart from QoS opening 25 mins they offered heehaw apparently  

Tbf, Kelty had most of the ball for about 80 minutes today and offered as much as we did. They scored 2 goals and did little else. We could have been 2 up if not for a cracking save from your GK. Sadly for us Kelty took their 2 chances and we took one. 

That's all that matters when all's said and done but the way some of our own fans are going on you'd think it was a Kelty bombardment today. It really wasn't though. It makes the defeat all the more annoying though. 

58 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Tbf, Kelty had most of the ball for about 80 minutes today and offered as much as we did. They scored 2 goals and did little else. We could have been 2 up if not for a cracking save from your GK. Sadly for us Kelty took their 2 chances and we took one. 

That's all that matters when all's said and done but the way some of our own fans are going on you'd think it was a Kelty bombardment today. It really wasn't though. It makes the defeat all the more annoying though. 

Agreed. Thought Queens fractionally less bad in first half. Kelty less bad in second.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There was no snow on the pitch.

We've not had any snow here.

Misunderstood. In that case there was a failure to salt the pitch before the freeze occurred. The freeze will loosen the granules, and some will likely wash off as the surface thaws, also not good for the pitch.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Kelty hardly "bombarded us" but they had the upper hand in the first half after we scored, and looked pretty comfortable thereafter bar that opening and closing spells of the game. 

59 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Kelty hardly "bombarded us" but they had the upper hand in the first half after we scored, and looked pretty comfortable thereafter bar that opening and closing spells of the game. 

They had one shot on target before the 80th minute. The reality is we looked pretty comfortable at the back until our usual balls up. 

As I said at HT, a neutral watching that game would have thought QoS were comfortable sitting in as Kelty were offering nothing going forward. It's only because we've seen our side fold so often that we knew it was coming. But until the inevitable happened Kelty didn't threaten us at all regardless of how much possession they had. 

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

As I said at HT, a neutral watching that game would have thought QoS were comfortable sitting in as Kelty were offering nothing going forward. 

Wasn't at the game so can only go on feedback from the "real fans" who went to the game, but it seems a sad indictment of the team that we tried to sit in for most of the game, protect a 1-0 lead and generally shitfest our way to a victory  ... at home against the side 3rd bottom of our league.  I could kind of get that approach against Championship sides in previous seasons, but in this league that seems an admission of a lack of ambition.

As an aside, that Kelty side is packed with seasoned pros who might not be superstars but they know how to play the game at this level.  They won't be battling Clyde for 8th place, they'll overtake Queens for a safe mid-table slot.  We need to be wary and up our game for the 2nd half of the season, or Clyde will come knocking at our door.

Edited by Otis Blue

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

They had one shot on target before the 80th minute. The reality is we looked pretty comfortable at the back until our usual balls up. 

As I said at HT, a neutral watching that game would have thought QoS were comfortable sitting in as Kelty were offering nothing going forward. It's only because we've seen our side fold so often that we knew it was coming. But until the inevitable happened Kelty didn't threaten us at all regardless of how much possession they had. 

I would say they threatened us quite a bit in the first half with quite a few crosses coming in, their right winger had the freedom of that side all half, which is always a danger, and hemming us into our defensive third of the park. If the team were comfortable in those circumstances then I certainly wasn't. Any time we tried to get forward we easily lost possession and allowed Kelty to attack again. What continually boils my piss as well, and not just yesterday, is the ease and number of times two or three Queens players try and stop one opposition player but the opposition player always comes out the winner. Allowing the opposition plenty of possession usually doesn't end well, especially for Queens. 

26 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Wasn't at the game so can only go on feedback from the "real fans" who went to the game, but it seems a sad indictment of the team that we tried to sit in for most of the game, protect a 1-0 lead and generally shitfest our way to a victory  ... at home against the side 3rd bottom of our league.  I could kind of get that approach against Championship sides in previous seasons, but in this league that seems an admission of a lack of ambition.

As an aside, that Kelty side is packed with seasoned pros who might not be superstars but they know how to play the game at this level.  They won't by battling Clyde for 8th place, they'll overtake Queens for a safe mid-table slot.  We need to be wary and up our game for the 2nd half of the season, or Clyde will come knocking at our door.

Pretty much aye. I'm in no way defending that performance because it was pathetic in an attacking sense. If we were at home to Dunfermline I'd have appreciated it but at home to one of the few sides below us it was woeful and a shocking lack of ambition as you say. 

The only reason I commented is because I'm someone who doesn't really see bulk of possession count for much. If we could have been competent for for a further 10 minutes it would have been a comfortable win. But as ever we completely gift a side a victory. 

Your last paragraph is spot on. They have a helluva squad tbh. If they get rid of Potter and get a decent manager in they could be a real threat in the league. 

Edited by 19QOS19

5 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I would say they threatened us quite a bit in the first half with quite a few crosses coming in, their right winger had the freedom of that side all half, which is always a danger, and hemming us into our defensive third of the park. If the team were comfortable in those circumstances then I certainly wasn't. Any time we tried to get forward we easily lost possession and allowed Kelty to attack again. What continually boils my piss as well, and not just yesterday, is the ease and number of times two or three Queens players try and stop one opposition player but the opposition player always comes out the winner. Allowing the opposition plenty of possession usually doesn't end well, especially for Queens. 

It all depends on what folk regard as threatening I suppose. Crosses against us are usually a threat right enough! I just tried to look at it from a GK making saves point of view and Currie had just the one like I say. Kelty had all the ball for the majority of the game but I can't recall them really cutting us open. It actually looked to me like they were running out of ideas and just passing it infront of us near the end until we stepped up and gave them a way back in :lol:

Edited by 19QOS19

41 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Technically correct assessment but why are we not going all out for crucial second goal against 8th team in League 1 at home? When you concede so much cheap possession chances will eventually emerge as legs tire late on. Austin had a great chance after he came on and only a good block by McKenna stopped the net bulging.

Why is there an obsession with the No 10 Ghost role? The incumbent invariably doesn’t track back and we get outnumbered in central midfield. We were crying out for a central midfield of Todd, Wilson and McGrory yesterday but we persist with Murray who gets lost in “no man’s land”.

Our most dominant performance of the season was probably Alloa at home (admittedly a low bar) but we had WG at RWB and the aforementioned midfield trio who absolutely ran the show that day.Surely after a performance like that (not the result) that should be our GO TO line up. 

If they persist in deploying young Lewis at RWB they will quickly negate his effectiveness as well.