How did you fall in love with your club?

Can relate to the joys of the vidiprinter, with scores along the bottom while watching the wrestling. 

Started supporting Saints around 79 mainly due to a couple of pals at school supporting them - everyone else supported Rangers or Celtic but I always wanted to go against the crowd.

Neither my mum or dad liked football, but eventually, after months of watching the vidiprinter and nagging them to take me to a game, they finally relented - only for it to be postponed due to a frozen pitch, I was heartbroken. Finished 3rd that season and I thought at 10 it would always be like that.

Now my son is 10, and with us a point of 3rd he thinks the same thing!

My Dad worked shifts in the Grangemouth Petrochemical plants and although he was a Falkirk fan, due to his shifts he very rarely went to games. My Grandad on my Mums side however was from Edinburgh and a dyed in the wool Jambo. He bought me my first strip which was a Hearts one and I was a Hearts fan, although due to my Grandads health I was never taken to Tynecastle.

When I was about 5 or 6 my Grandad sadly passed away, I was still a Hearts fan but by this time my Dad had moved to another plant and was now working Monday - Friday so he started taking me to Brockville and that was me hooked. We used to sit in the stand and I used to sit there watching the choir longing for the day I could be in there.

My sister is a lot older than me and she used to take me to away games with her soon to be husband and I loved every minute of it.

As soon as I was old enough I started going to home and away games with my pals from school. It was magic going on Brian Guthries bus from York Square, Grangemouth. We used to have some cracking laughs on the bus in those days. Falkirk were shite at the time and you used to be lucky if we took a couple of hundred when we travelled but it was belting, we had a right good contingent who were young and up for making as much noise as we could to support the team.

I’m now 56 and still a season ticket holder but I pick and choose away games.

I sometimes wonder how life would have panned out if my Grandad hadn’t died, I would have been a Jambo. Thank f**k the auld boy walked towards the light 🤣

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Used to get a delightful Indian meal after every Dundee home game. My old man would pick it up from the takeaway down from Dens. I was more interested in seeing what an Indian takeaway looked like so I went along to a game. It was all very eye opening g with guys with names like Ristic, Vrto, Adamczuk, Pageaud and Duffy.

Loved the camaraderie and excitement of grown men just booting shite out each other intertwined with wee menaces like Neil McCann ripping the pish. There was also a guy with massive lugs like myself on the park in *spit* Billy Dodds.

The Indian become such of an afterthought.

VAR has beaten the love of the game from top to bottom out me though.

My family have all been Falkirk fans so it occurred naturally.

I can't remember my first game but the first memory I have is going to Berwick for a Scottish Cup game (a quick check shows it was February 2000). Probably sticks in my mind because my mum was at the game which was really strange as she wasn't a football fan. It turns out her friend had won a competition and subsequently put on a bus to the game. 

There was no particular moment that had me hooked but the first season I remember in enough detail was the last season at Brockville. Before that I had recollections of a friendly against Everton the following season which was probably because a streaker went for a run across the pitch. Anyway, the last season at Brockville sticks in my mind because I remember the buzz that year when we romped to the title. The first game of the season at Ayr we won 3-1 and rather nostalgically Somerset remains my favourite ground following that game. 

The old rustic nature of Brockville was also like a big playground for an 8 year old. My Dad would give me 50p for a mars bar and the Hope Street Terrace became a playground for 2 hours so once a fortnight. I still remember the stench from the lavvies under the stand. Pre-match I'd be sat in Elliots with a plate of chips and a cola and would remember walking down Meeks round absolute buzzing to get in to the ground. 

About that time I was starting to play football and being a left footed defender I looked up to Jamie McQuilken as an idol so I'd always stand on the railings at the bottom of the terrace and watch everything he did. Happier times.

I've been lucky to see quite a few highs and the intrigue of playing at Ochilview for a year then moving to the new ground meant that there was a lot of new things to take in at Falkirk so I always found it quite exciting. 

Fast forward 2 decades and its not quite the same but I'd like to think I have a son then he pick up the bug and get the same buzz I did.

Somerset Park and my Dad, basically.

Had been taken to both Celtic and Rangers home games by various family members when I was very young and while I loved watching football generally, I didn't really get anything out of it there.

We had moved down to South Ayrshire when I was very young and one day my Dad suggested to an uncle, who occasionally went to Ayr games, that I might be interested in going along. Ayr won 4-0 that day which felt great but the main highlight for me was just the atmosphere and the feel of the old place. Can relate to others talking about the sounds and smells of the football being a huge memory. More swearing than I had ever heard and getting a pie and bovril (mostly to keep my hands warm in the freezing cold). I loved it - especially being able to move between the North Terrace and the SRE, sometimes up in the main stand. The feeling of standing behind the goal feeling like the noise could drag the ball in. Standing on the North Terrace(best place to be imo) and praying for no rain and no sea gulls.

Begged my Dad to take me to games and despite him having no real interest in Ayr United, he agreed. He bought season tickets for me and him for years. He started surprising me with trips to away games if it was somewhere we could get to, then eventually he stopped going (he had become an Ayr fan but was never quite as into the football as I was), and I tended to go with mates anyway.

I blame him for fueling the addiction when he says I'm mental for going to Kirkcaldy on a Tuesday night or planning a trip to Cove on a Friday, but I wouldn't change it, I love the football too much.

Edited by AuAl

Lifted over the turnstyle at Love St. (all I remember) as a 5-y-o in Nov68 by my dad to see Hugh Gilshan score the winner against Oldco. The weather was foggy (according to reports) the attendance was 43,500 and we moved up to 3rd spot unbeaten in the league. Went into school on the Monday and declared myself a Saints fan.

We lost the next game to Aberdeen and managed to fight our way down to 11th - missing out on that Top6 spot and it's been that way ever since.

Edited by btb

I was told at a young age that I supported Saints, because my whole family did on my dads side. My mums brother tried to buy me a Rangers top which my dad quickly chucked out. 

Because my dad was working Saturdays, it was hard for me to get taken every week. I think I’d been to a few in my youth, but never really got the hook. That changed when I was 14 and I was watching sportscene with my Grandad and he began cheering that we avoided relegation. I made a concentrated effort that pre season to get into it. I realised my pals were planning to go regularly too and that made my decision for me. I wanted to go to every home game. And I did.  I’ve not looked back since. 

Now I’m hooked, and I’ve already planned to pass the bug on to any children I have. The poor shits.