The Official Stephen Flynn & Mhairi Black Thread

Colkitto

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

To be honest I only expect SNP MP’s to be going to Westminster to forward the case for independence 

Could not give a f**k who is on the front and backbenchers

Aye, it’s a strange one. On the one hand, we can have SNP MPs they’re questioning, say, UK defence spending. On the other, all they should actually be doing is asking, “why can my entire nation’s democratically-expressed view on defence and everything else in this place be ignored?”

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

To be honest I only expect SNP MP’s to be going to Westminster to forward the case for independence 

Could not give a f**k who is on the front and backbenchers

I fully agree. The party has lost it’s way.

Independence should be their only focus, not trying opposing to the Tories in Westminster. Leave that to Labour.

52 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Aye, it’s a strange one. On the one hand, we can have SNP MPs they’re questioning, say, UK defence spending. On the other, all they should actually be doing is asking, “why can my entire nation’s democratically-expressed view on defence and everything else in this place be ignored?”

Whilst we remain part of the UK we should have our input into legislative issues in Westminster that affect us.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Whilst we remain part of the UK we should have our input into legislative issues in Westminster that affect us.

I can see that viewpoint - as long as it’s loudly and consistently pointed out that our input amounts to pissing into the wind, because the UK isn’t a union and Scotland has no national voice (or at least only one that can be completely ignored) within it. It’s the SNP’s job, ultimately, as Scotland’s “national party”, to show up the national unacceptability of this.

To do otherwise is to play Westminster and its parties’ game, when they should be using the English Parliament (and all its ignorance of individual nationhood, pantomime bullshit, and endemic corruption) as a vehicle to increase support for Scottish independence.

Flynn, for me , comes across as a Galloway type with blustering tory attack politics with little real substance, though I suppose his style appeals to the more reactionary part of the party.

Mhairi Black will be a force in an Independent Scotland in which ever party she ends up in.

There are clear divisions within the westminster SNP party but that is common in any party where ideology differs, what we see with this change is an impatient section forcing it's way through. 

On 11/12/2022 at 16:23, williemillersmoustache said:

Another utterly tedious and blood less SNPCIVILWARRRRR.

Meanwhile in Toryland. 

I'm pretty sure Lord Cruddas was the guy trying to crowbar Johnson back into Downing Street.  Any further attempt to gerrymander things in tandem with Patel I wholeheartedly welcome, and look forward to the ensuing Tory carnage.

On 06/12/2022 at 21:53, BFTD said:

I like the quote about Ian Blackford being a "giant of the independence movement".

Only a petty-minded troublemaker would consider that to be a veiled, "away ye go, fatty"  :P

Can't believe it took five pages, but....

You're a giant of this forum Dave 😊.

On 08/12/2022 at 20:47, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I fully agree. The party has lost it’s way.

Independence should be their only focus, not trying opposing to the Tories in Westminster. Leave that to Labour.

If they do that they'll just lose votes to Labour, just repeating 'It's not fair.' every PMQs wouldn't do anything. If they want to up the ante they should boycott Westminster after the next election until we get a referendum. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

PMQs is an utter waste of time.

No obligation to actually answer any  question and no mechanism for the Speaker to do anything about it.

I have no problem with Westminster showing itself up every week. Ludicrous voting systems, referring to utter cnuts as "honourable", punting party donors and failed politicians into the House of Lords, bowing and scraping to royalty... failing to answer questions doesn't even touch the sides. 

Next time a Government minster demands greater efficiency in the public sector, someone should ask him or her how long it takes to hold a vote in that snake pit. 

• 3 months later...