The Official Stephen Flynn & Mhairi Black Thread

Colkitto

8 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Anyone who is articulate, sounds educated and is aspirational doesn’t cut it with these guys.

I thought that you might have taken a wee bit of time off after your disgraceful commnts to scottsdad yeasterday - you eventually posted an apology but noticed you did not delete the post.

Also struggling to think how Black could possibly be more aspirational than she already is and has been; she was elected to Parliament aged 20, the youngest MP since the 1800s, and now holds a relatively senior position in her Party at the age of 28. 

Sounds like a wee ned. She utterly grates me.
So it's simply her accent then. Best not venture down to the Central belt much in that case.

Also wild that there is a sounds educated / is actually educated debate. What a person "sounds" like has zero bearing on that but yet some seem to be saying they can tell that from an accent. That's Rees-Mogg stuff.

42 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

What is the difference between sounding educated and actually being educated? 

I've heard a few clips of her speaking in the Commons and it's pretty obvious that she can string together a coherent sentence or two. Her contribution on the F...ism issue was excellent as was her one about her being the only person in the UK of her age getting Westminster support for her housing costs...

“The government quite rightly pays for me, with taxpayers’ money, to be able to live in London. My housing is subsidised by the taxpayer. Now the chancellor in his budget said it is not fair that families earning over £40,000 in London should have their rents paid by other working people.

“But it is okay if you’re an MP. In this budget, the chancellor also abolished housing benefit for anyone below the age of 21. So we are now in the ridiculous situation whereby because I am an MP, not only am I the youngest, but I am also the only 20-year-old in the whole of the UK the chancellor is prepared to help with housing.”

Further, I wouldn't have thought that Glasgow University would have been in the habit of randomly handing out First Class Honours Degrees in Politics and Public Policy, which Black was obtained in 2015. Given her political career to date and her qualifications, it seems to me that she is indeed... what was it DPB referred to.... (checks post...) oh yes "articulate, sounds educated and is aspirational". 

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Good start, took Sunak to task and took Keiths head with his backswing. Good stuff. 

I agree, a very promising debut, and to attack both cheeks of the WM arse with just one question was masterful.