Stenhousemuir -vs- Forfar Athletic (Saturday 10 December 2022)

It's a real relegation six-pointer on Saturday as Stenhousemuir take on Forfar Athletic at Ochilview. The Warriors are currently the worst side in the division, having taken just four points from their past seven matches, while the Loons, bottom of the table, appear to be getting their act together under Mr Raymond McKinnon with two draws and a win. Just four points separate the sides and Forfar can really pull us into the muck with a victory; given how bad we've been recently, it's not outwith the realms of possibly.

Stenny are a mess at the moment. The team have looked poor in recent weeks, playing without cohesion and confidence, and they're losing goals on an industrial scale, conceding around two every game - and that's even before you factor in we're going into this match with no fit central defenders. Nicky Jamieson is probably out until January, Sean Crighton took a sore one at Elgin City last weekend, Dan Higgins also went off injured and Adam Corbett complained about a strain during the warm-up (albeit he played 90 minutes). We'll have to make do and mend for the time being. That will probably have some bearing on what we do further forward - I'm expecting a patchwork XI with little on the bench to change things around. There's no point in trying to predict how we'll line up.

Things could change between now and Saturday but I'm expecting Stephen Swift to take charge of the game. Supporters are fed up with the direction the team have been going in under his management and won't be shy in letting him know how they feel if we lose. Weirdly, when he was under pressure earlier in the season after a terrible start, a win at Station Park steadied the ship and brought about a six-game unbeaten run.

Will the same thing happen here? Who knows anymore.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

With Stenhousemuir going through their own "Gary Irvine" spell and Forfar players now playing as if they have faith in their own ability and under the management of Ray McKinnon, I can see this being a pivotal game for Forfar. I'm going for a Forfar win and a team performance that will see us move away from the terrible spell of Irvine and Harkins. Onwards and upwards!

2 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

With Stenhousemuir going through their own "Gary Irvine" spell and Forfar players now playing as if they have faith in their own ability and under the management of Ray McKinnon, I can see this being a pivotal game for Forfar. I'm going for a Forfar win and a team performance that will see us move away from the terrible spell of Irvine and Harkins. Onwards and upwards!

If Forfar do emerge victorious, it may jolt the board at Stenhousemuir into a period of realisation and acceptance.

Tomas Brindley is the only absentee for tomorrow, according to the match preview, so either Docherty will be at LB, or he'll play Nditi there and have Abed or Dailly on the right. Other than that it should be a full strength side with a full bench. I hope that will translate into another 3 points.

On 06/12/2022 at 21:10, RateofKnots said:

A point on the road would be a decent return, but the hangover of the Irvine era leaves me suspecting a narrow defeat.

Shut your whore mouth....

We seem to go forward now(passing) which has been foreign for us Loon fans.

scudded 1-1 with a late winner from Aikten to take  it to penalties....McCallum not needing to save any.

Win Forfar

Ray gives me a Ray of Hope.

thanks @Francesc Fabregas great as always.

Edited by SlipperyP

12 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Shut your whore mouth....

We seem to go forward now(passing) which has been foreign for us Loon fans.

scudded 1-1 with a late winner from Aikten to take  it to penalties....McCallum not needing to save any.

Win Forfar

Ray gives me a Ray of Hope.

thanks @Francesc Fabregas great as always.

Slippery has been on the Sabai Sabai again….

We looked much better up front this afternoon with Armour and McCluskey. Worrying that Whyte and Slater went off but hopefully it’s just a precaution.

Armour has looked our best player over the last couple of games, yes he’s not an out and out goalscorer but his work rate has been second to none and with two goals he’s improving under McKinnon.

Thomson another one that has looked better, amazing what a new manager does for players.

Safety would be my main aim right now, chat about the play offs is too early for me.

Forfar deserved the win overall, and I was suprised to see a Raymond McKinnon team moving the ball forward so quickly. Nonetheless, the Warriors were far too open, and so many players seemed to have an off day to me, with Matty Yates and Tam Orr major disappontments. Nothing stuck to Yates, and his passing was woeful, while Orr, one good cross apart, seemed to stifle play, looking cumbersome and out of position too often.

Surprised to see O'Reilly substituted, he looked like the one player able to provide a spark. Number 17, Ben Armour, stood out for Forfar. The referee, Iain Sneddon, stuck out as a bit of a dumpling.

What an unbalanced squad has been assembled at Ochilview.