Thistle v Ayr United 17/12/22

Had time to reflect and it’s obvious that we didn’t deserve anything from the game. We’ve been putting out some shoddy performances for a few weeks now (apart from Raith as I thought it was more controlled) and today our luck ran out. 

Thistle clearly a stronger side with players back compared to the reverse fixture at Somerset. They have the best full backs in the league and Milne in particular gave us a torrid time. Easily the best left back to play in this league since Daniel Harvie graced the second flight with his bombing runs and pinpoint crossing. Our full backs have been our weakness all season and it’s safe to say that Paddy Readings confidence has gone completely. Looked terrified of Lawless all afternoon although in fairness, Lawless is probably a Premiership quality winger on his day. Fitzpatrick I’ve never fully rated but he has pace to burn and I don’t think any full back would’ve coped with him today. Saw Ecrepont getting a hard time on Facebook and Twitter but I felt for him. Had no chance against that kind of pace and the only thing he could’ve done was take a few fouls but he’d have been sent off before half time. 

No idea what went wrong today. Think there was a real struggle to win second balls all afternoon and we never actually looked like scoring a goal. If Dipo and Chalmers hadn’t pulled two stormers out of nowhere we wouldn’t have scored at all. Brad Young should probably do better with his chance but the angle is so narrow with the keeper you’re actually wanting the chance to fall a bit further back. Alas, even a point would’ve flattered us. 

Ref was fucking laughable at times but I don’t think he was at fault for any goals. Was definitely a foul on McAllister before the corner which led to Milnes goal but we shouldn’t be conceding from the corner anyway. For the third goal, we got our advantage and Mullin put a shite ball in which Sneddon easily took. No real complaints there. The only issue is that when you make that much of an arse of it then you’re going to lose control of the game which is what happened when it boiled over at one point. Was surprised we didn’t get anyone sent off tbh. 

With Dempsey out we’ll struggle. Bangala isn’t up to it one bit and Smith needs a bit more time to get up to this level consistently. Could probably manage in there for a game but with the defence also very makeshift, I don’t see us getting anything against Dundee which means we won’t finish the year top of the league which would be annoying. January will be massive for us but I think we’ll get one or two in. Don’t think the club are going to be breaking the bank chasing the league. That would be a pointless gamble. But a couple of loan signings with a view to integrating them before next season would be a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Had time to reflect and it’s obvious that we didn’t deserve anything from the game. We’ve been putting out some shoddy performances for a few weeks now (apart from Raith as I thought it was more controlled) and today our luck ran out. 

Thistle clearly a stronger side with players back compared to the reverse fixture at Somerset. They have the best full backs in the league and Milne in particular gave us a torrid time. Easily the best left back to play in this league since Daniel Harvie graced the second flight with his bombing runs and pinpoint crossing. Our full backs have been our weakness all season and it’s safe to say that Paddy Readings confidence has gone completely. Looked terrified of Lawless all afternoon although in fairness, Lawless is probably a Premiership quality winger on his day. Fitzpatrick I’ve never fully rated but he has pace to burn and I don’t think any full back would’ve coped with him today. Saw Ecrepont getting a hard time on Facebook and Twitter but I felt for him. Had no chance against that kind of pace and the only thing he could’ve done was take a few fouls but he’d have been sent off before half time. 

No idea what went wrong today. Think there was a real struggle to win second balls all afternoon and we never actually looked like scoring a goal. If Dipo and Chalmers hadn’t pulled two stormers out of nowhere we wouldn’t have scored at all. Brad Young should probably do better with his chance but the angle is so narrow with the keeper you’re actually wanting the chance to fall a bit further back. Alas, even a point would’ve flattered us. 

Ref was fucking laughable at times but I don’t think he was at fault for any goals. Was definitely a foul on McAllister before the corner which led to Milnes goal but we shouldn’t be conceding from the corner anyway. For the third goal, we got our advantage and Mullin put a shite ball in which Sneddon easily took. No real complaints there. The only issue is that when you make that much of an arse of it then you’re going to lose control of the game which is what happened when it boiled over at one point. Was surprised we didn’t get anyone sent off tbh. 

With Dempsey out we’ll struggle. Bangala isn’t up to it one bit and Smith needs a bit more time to get up to this level consistently. Could probably manage in there for a game but with the defence also very makeshift, I don’t see us getting anything against Dundee which means we won’t finish the year top of the league which would be annoying. January will be massive for us but I think we’ll get one or two in. Don’t think the club are going to be breaking the bank chasing the league. That would be a pointless gamble. But a couple of loan signings with a view to integrating them before next season would be a good idea. 

I don’t think we can be saying Ecrepont had no chance, he is clearly just another of our full backs that has no idea how to defend one v one. In some respects he has been hung out to dry as he clearly should have been out on loan gaining experience. It’s hilarious that Houston is probably our best full back, and definitely the best defender out of all of them. 

Completely agree with the last paragraph, excited to see what we have in store to improve us in January. I would definitely be delighted with a point on Friday now - it has the potential for a bumper crowd and big night under the floodlights so it’s a shame we are going to be decimated by injuries. 

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Thistle clearly a stronger side with players back compared to the reverse fixture at Somerset. 

We're still missing key players. Holt, Docherty and Tiffoney all missed the game at Somerset and today's game. 

Eight who started that night started today. Lawless is the only notable absentee at Somerset who played today. 

I think a more significant difference between the two games is the shape of, rather than the composition of the team and the overall approach to the match. 

I'm sure we went five at the back at Somerset plus we seemed to be terrified of Akinyemi and the focus was on trying to stop him to the neglect of other aspects of the game. 

32 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I genuinely didn’t think he meant it, but fair enough if I’m the only one that thought that. 

The boy behind me was also adamant it was a bad cross that went in to be fair, I thought it was a brilliant finish though. 

I really enjoyed the game today and agree with whoever said it felt like a cup tie. Thistle should have scored about four in the first half alone and my one complaint is that the game ended 3-2 when it could have been a lot more. I really enjoyed watching Harry Milne without being annoyed at how good he is, the best player on the park and someone who could play in the league above. I enjoyed seeing Kyle Turner too, he was only at Airdrie for a few months during games we had to watch on streams but he made such an impact and almost single handedly dragged a pretty rubbish team to promotion. 

Outside of the two great goals, Ayr were pretty ordinary. Couldn’t fault their effort or commitment but once it went to 3-2 it never felt like they were scoring and it was hard to see what their plan was.

Quick query - PT were able to stream the game to fans in England today but not to fans in Scotland.  Have the rules changed as I thought that teams were not allowed o stream games within the UK on Saturdays ?

Edited by stevep56

It must be to do with the English top division not being back on yet as there was a bit on the website that viewers in England would be able to get the Ayr, ICT and Morton games with a one month sub, the ICT game is on a Friday so outside the blackout period, but the Morton game is FA Cup weekend in England. 

Whereas the Scottish top division was back this weekend so presume blackout back on in Scotland. 

59 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Lol.

54 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

We're still missing key players. Holt, Docherty and Tiffoney all missed the game at Somerset and today's game. 

Eight who started that night started today. Lawless is the only notable absentee at Somerset who played today. 

I think a more significant difference between the two games is the shape of, rather than the composition of the team and the overall approach to the match. 

I'm sure we went five at the back at Somerset plus we seemed to be terrified of Akinyemi and the focus was on trying to stop him to the neglect of other aspects of the game. 

Aye that was my point just very badly worried. Partick were able to play with real width today due to having Lawless back and Fitzpatrick in the team. Hurts us a lot as our full backs are our main weakness. Need to try and address it in January. 

7 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That game has done nothing to dispel the idea that Ayr’s team is Dipo Akinyemi and 10 other c***s.

Chalmers goal was a mishit cross.

We were by far the better side, and should’ve won by more. Fitzpatrick had his best game in a long time, possibly his best since returning to the club. 

Jeezo, where to even start with absolute VL shit like this 😹

7 hours ago, third lanark said:

Arrogant entitled? Think your confusing us with some other support.  Vast majority of our support admit we have been atrocious last couple of months 

No, we definitely mean Partick fans. 

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye that was my point just very badly worried. Partick were able to play with real width today due to having Lawless back and Fitzpatrick in the team. Hurts us a lot as our full backs are our main weakness. Need to try and address it in January. 

That’s the first time since his return that Fitzpatrick has shown the kind of form that probably got him the move to Norwich.

When you have a young left back playing at right back, a right back in the centre of defence, a left back whose confidence is shot and Sean McGinty as your back 4 then it threatens to be a long afternoon and so it proved. Thistle rightly identified the right hand side as our weak point and tore us apart down that side. Lost count of how often Ecrepont got skinned and there was no cover in behind him. Defensive shape was horrendous and left Ayr totally exposed time and time again. January can't come soon enough so we can get in some extra bodies to shore up the back lot or this season could slowly drift away to a mid-table finish. Just hope this is that little dodgy period teams have in a season and we get back to winning again soon.

Thistle were far better than the game at Ayr but that wouldn't have been difficult as their defence that night was as bad as Ayr's yesterday.