Thistle v Ayr United 17/12/22

5 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

McCall thrives working on a club in crisis environment. Morton, Clydebank, Airdrie, Thistle. Almost every club he’s been at has shut or almost shut. His thoughts on Clydebank to Dublin at the time didn’t sit well with Bankies fans. 

He needs to rebuild at thistle after this year, to many of the tried and tested don’t seem to be doing it any more and his usual mid-season injury crisis has lasted most of the season. He didn’t have the interest in rebuilding at Ayr.

He said he never wanted to leave Ayr, he had to much respect for the owner at the time.  He then spoke to Falkirk, “out of respect” and then Thistle 

I can see him getting Thistle to the playoffs and either moving upstairs or over the summer, putting the feelers out for another club to manage. 

Is going upstairs going to be still something he can do now his chums are away?

17 minutes ago, JohnGAYR said:

Will this game be on? Frost well into the ground now and temperatures not rising until Saturday or Sunday. Are any ground protection methods being put into use?

I’m sure Thistle will have USH. Whether it’s financially viable for them to switch it on is another matter though. 

Are the train strikes affecting Saturday? 

19 minutes ago, JohnGAYR said:

Will this game be on? Frost well into the ground now and temperatures not rising until Saturday or Sunday. Are any ground protection methods being put into use?

To be fair it has already been consecutive frosts for about a week, so if you'd had covers down from the start until matchday you'd have no grass left just about. 

Going by forecast i'd say pretty unlikely 

image.thumb.png.2454a73b88287b84a6da021c355a9bf1.png

On 10/12/2022 at 09:47, AuAl said:

Crazy how low McCall's stock seems to be compared to when he left us.

McCall could walk into plenty of jobs in Scotland outside of the SPL top six, even if only on the back of his media connections (see also, the rest of the merry-go-round). The only people completely nonplussed about him are Partick fans who seem to think they're owed better for some reason.

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

McCall could walk into plenty of jobs in Scotland outside of the SPL top six, even if only on the back of his media connections (see also, the rest of the merry-go-round). The only people completely nonplussed about him are Partick fans who seem to think they're owed better for some reason.

Hmm I don’t see any top league team who would appoint him now. Big six you have Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee (club size wise). No way a Motherwell, St Mirren, St Johnstone appoint him. I’d even be dubious on whether Livi, if Martindale was to up sticks and go, would be interested in him. 

4 hours ago, Thumper said:

He is part of the ‘merry-go-round’ but you think Ian McCall right now could ‘walk into’ various bottom six Premiership jobs? I wouldn’t say McCall has ever lacked a bit of vanity but I doubt even he’d agree with that currently. 

2 hours ago, JagsCG said:

He is part of the ‘merry-go-round’ but you think Ian McCall right now could ‘walk into’ various bottom six Premiership jobs? I wouldn’t say McCall has ever lacked a bit of vanity but I doubt even he’d agree with that currently. 

Need I remind people that John Hughes was courted by multiple clubs and ultimately ended up back in the SPL after relegating Raith, only to then be courted by multiple clubs after leaving County only to relegate Dunfermline.

Partick could be top by the end of January is how close the league is. The notion that McCall is some sort of pariah merely because they've had two rotten months bears no resemblance to how Scottish football management works. The man was in a film with Michael Keaton and Robert Duvall for God's sake.

I can't see this being on. Freezing temperatures during the day and hardly any sunlight. 

The USH would have to be on for rest of the week and that would probably cause more harm than good.

16 hours ago, JohnGAYR said:

Hearing that they will be. 

15 hours ago, Thumper said:

I'll bite. Not a chance he walks into a team even in the bottom six of the top tier. I don't necessarily think "owed better" but I am weary of the same old tropes every season. You can guarantee three things each season: an injury crisis, eventual stale tactics and players played out of position. The fans are growing tired of this pish. 

31 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I can't see this being on. Freezing temperatures during the day and hardly any sunlight. 

The USH would have to be on for rest of the week and that would probably cause more harm than good.

Aye a don't think it'll be on either.  Friday is a high of 1, that won't be enough to thaw out the pitch surely.

No worries, looks like on Friday the temperature drags itself above freezing.  At which point it's going to start to snow instead.

Not a chance the game will be on by the looks of it, and given the train strikes on as well, it'd probably make sense for us to "forget" to put the heating on.

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

I'll bite. Not a chance he walks into a team even in the bottom six of the top tier. I don't necessarily think "owed better" but I am weary of the same old tropes every season. You can guarantee three things each season: an injury crisis, eventual stale tactics and players played out of position. The fans are growing tired of this pish. 

Despite his shortcomings, I think McCall was generally a good manager for us and was exactly the kind of manager we needed when he was appointed - an experienced manager who had something to prove after being out the picture for a few years. He started the process of turning us from a mediocre League 1 team to an established Championship side so deserves some respect for that.

However, I think he took us as far as he was going to take us, so probably left at the right time. It's just a shame that the club made an arse of appointing three managers in a row after he left - Mark Kerr, David Hopkin and Jim Duffy (although Kerr was very much the least shite of those three).

I don't think McCall will ever manage in the top tier again - and no clubs in the top tier would be queuing up to appoint him. However, I think he could still do a good job at a Championship team or one of the bigger League 1 teams. 

13 hours ago, JagsCG said:

McCall has got in to a habit of getting teams top 4 in the championship but not being able to go the next step so I think that is his level.
 I don’t think any of the clubs in the top flight are likely to take a punt on McCall in much the same way Jim Duffy or Danny Lennon won’t any more, they aren’t up to managing in the top flight, but both of them aren’t capable in the Championship either.

McCall is an ideal appointment for any team wanting to be top 4 in the Championship, teams like Dunfermline, Queen of the South, Falkirk and maybe even Airdrie would love to be there. 
Dundee could be another possibility, they appointed Mark McGee so anything is on the table. 
If these clubs would want him is another question though. 

52 minutes ago, forameus said:

No worries, looks like on Friday the temperature drags itself above freezing.  At which point it's going to start to snow instead.

Not a chance the game will be on by the looks of it, and given the train strikes on as well, it'd probably make sense for us to "forget" to put the heating on.

Looks like it's meant to rain Friday/Saturday.  Be on IMO but not buying a ticket until I know it's on 😅

Seeing as people are talking about it already and given the forecast for the rest of the week, it would be a good start for the new regime to state now what the plan is re the USH being turned on for this game rather than just saying nothing until announcing the inevitable if it's not being used until Friday afternoon/Saturday morning.